Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 09:19 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times

Advertisements

Our city parks and beaches are already nonsmoking. Hardly see anyone doing it. This is sort of a solution in search of a problem, IMO, but whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 04:46 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well vega, no, it isn’t ... among other reasons: no pot smokers throw their roaches away ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But the smoke you take in is still bad for you, cigarette or pot.
I think the point brought up is that pot smokers aren’t littering the landscape with cigarette buttes. Cigarbuttes are litter and poision also

Old 10-13-2019, 07:44 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think the point brought up is that pot smokers aren’t littering the landscape with cigarette buttes. Cigarbuttes are litter and poision also
Well .... yes. That was the point (made humorously).

But, for some, never pass an opportunity to disparage something you don’t like personally, even though you don’t know what you’re talking about. In the slightest.

Comparing the occasional hit of marijuana to sucking down 20-40 cigarettes a day, in terms of lung damage, is mind-boggling overreach. Kind of like warning against being in a barn when your pet goat farts compared to working in a closed-door diesel engine repair shop in downtown LA in the 1980’s.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:46 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Most pot smokers take a few hits a day on the occasional days they indulge. The majority use it a handful of times in a month. Now, as I said, contrast that with cigarette smokers who suck down 20 - 40 full cigarettes a day ... everyday ... cigarettes that are smoked for 5 minutes or so at a stretch of repeated inhalation.
I agree with expat on this one. We just don't know the effects of marijuana on lung diseases, mainly because not enough studies have been done.

And having been a former cigarette smoker, I know that not everyone smokes a pack (20 cigarettes) or two a day. Both tobacco and marijuana can be highly addictive.

Marijuana and Your Risk of Lung Cancer:
https://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/ma...-cancer-risk#1

Marijuana Can Be Addictive: Who Gets Hooked and Why:
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...-real-072014#2

Old 10-13-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I agree with expat on this one. We just don't know the effects of marijuana on lung diseases, mainly because not enough studies have been done.

And having been a former cigarette smoker, I know that not everyone smokes a pack (20 cigarettes) or two a day. Both tobacco and marijuana can be highly addictive.

Marijuana and Your Risk of Lung Cancer:
https://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/ma...-cancer-risk#1

Marijuana Can Be Addictive: Who Gets Hooked and Why:
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...-real-072014#2
While it is true there has been less research on pot smoke - and that any kind of smoke is bad for lungs - there still is no comparison to occasional hits of marijuana compared to even a handful of cigarettes a day. And few cigarette smokers limit themselves to a few, or occasional, smokes a day.

There are some other glaringly obvious reasons cigarette smoking has been researched, and condemned, as it has been. The health negatives of cigarettes have always been grossly obvious, and extend far far beyond lung cancer even. Meanwhile, humanity has been indulging in recreational pot since before recorded history, without any obvious patterns of gross ill effects.

The point I made to expat wasn’t to promote pot smoking. Or that any kind of inhaled smoke is benign. It was that his comparison fails to be meaningful.

If a connection exists between smoking weed recreationally and getting lung cancer ... somehow it hasn’t been obvious scientifically. Tobacco has been obvious.

As for addiction: pot has the lowest rate of addiction of any recreational substance ... including cigarettes. Booze, tobacco, other drugs, caffeine ... all surpass pot.

Sugar addiction is the worst of all given its prevalence in our culture’s daily habitual consumptions. Devastating ill health effects.

Some people have weaknesses for addictions. If they don’t fall to one, they’ll fall to another. Pot is a vastly lesser evil.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:14 AM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Quote:
Love this one ...

“ California governor signs law banning people from smoking in state parks, on beaches”
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...on-state-parks
He says that second hand smoke kills fish. Oh my.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Expat, we’ve been through this numerous times in the past. ALL your links have their identity and funding tied to anti-drug use positions. Of course all smoke - incense, wood, tobacco, pot, engine exhausts, whatever - has carcinogenic potential given sufficient concentration / abuse. But no pot smokers pull down their weed like cigarette smoking. You know squat about it. But I will educate you once again. Smoking weed is done almost exclusively with little pipes. The amount of pot fired up is miniscule. Today’s pot requires no more than a hit or two for pretty much any smoker. Most pot smokers take a few hits a day on the occasional days they indulge. The majority use it a handful of times in a month. Now, as I said, contrast that with cigarette smokers who suck down 20 - 40 full cigarettes a day ... everyday ... cigarettes that are smoked for 5 minutes or so at a stretch of repeated inhalation.

NO comparison, expat. Not even close.

Meanwhile you eat sugar in various forms everyday ... unless you eat only fresh whole foods, self-prepared. And sugar is flat out poison. You also breathe exhaust fumes everyday in greater quantity than the typical pot smokers inhales weed.
Bingo.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
He says that second hand smoke kills fish. Oh my.
He didn’t say “second hand smoke kills fish”. Cigarette litter (butts) can kill fish. Second hand smoke is a problem for humans.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
He didn’t say “second hand smoke kills fish”. Cigarette litter (butts) can kill fish. Second hand smoke is a problem for humans.
I stand corrected. Butts can kill any animal in that regard. Perhaps he’ll eventually ban smoking everywhere in the state.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:59 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I don't know what the OP is complaining about. Everything Newsome does is a target for complaints, well-thought out or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California