Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:30 AM

430 posts, read 283,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Tomatoes are the real issue. Very hard to find good tomatoes in California (I'm originally from the South where they are delicious and plentiful)
There are actually very good tomatoes in CA, but you have to go to the places that sell local fresh produce to get them. The commercial ones are all picked green, or slightly pink at best, and then off to "ripen" at the stores. It depends on the climate of an area which ones do best. Right now I am getting some very good Heirloom grown locally. The ones in my garden have finally stopped producing after a very long season. The Southern climate allows for a bigger variety and usually better growing season conditions. It is difficult to find a good local Beefsteak in CA. but not impossible.

All of the produce in the stores here is picked green. I wonder sometimes if people even know what a tree ripened peach, apricot or avocado tastes like. There is a huge difference. I am in an area with a couple of really good produce stands that have everything local that is available. We also have really good farmer's markets that have the real thing. This afternoon I will pick the last of a crop of small (about 1" in diameter) tomatoes from my garden along with what I think will be the last of my cucumbers. There is nothing like the fresh-picked stuff. I'm going to have that with some thin-sliced top sirloin that I smoked on Monday. Dang, it isn't 9 AM yet and I am ready for supper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 09:39 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude24 View Post
There are actually very good tomatoes in CA, but you have to go to the places that sell local fresh produce to get them. The commercial ones are all picked green, or slightly pink at best, and then off to "ripen" at the stores. It depends on the climate of an area which ones do best. Right now I am getting some very good Heirloom grown locally. The ones in my garden have finally stopped producing after a very long season. The Southern climate allows for a bigger variety and usually better growing season conditions. It is difficult to find a good local Beefsteak in CA. but not impossible.

All of the produce in the stores here is picked green. I wonder sometimes if people even know what a tree ripened peach, apricot or avocado tastes like. There is a huge difference. I am in an area with a couple of really good produce stands that have everything local that is available. We also have really good farmer's markets that have the real thing. This afternoon I will pick the last of a crop of small (about 1" in diameter) tomatoes from my garden along with what I think will be the last of my cucumbers. There is nothing like the fresh-picked stuff. I'm going to have that with some thin-sliced top sirloin that I smoked on Monday. Dang, it isn't 9 AM yet and I am ready for supper!
I get a lot of my produce at the farmer's market too and agree that it is better, especially strawberries, peaches, plums. But there is no such thing as a tree-ripened avocado.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:35 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,571,475 times
I was in both Costco and Von's (Safeway) last week. Neither store had any lettuce. No fresh lettuce. No bagged lettuce. Just kale. Yuck. We must have had some sort of lettuce disease problem.

The lettuce is back this week. It's not great but it's back on the shelf.

Winter is not our best fruit and veggie season. There's Mexican stuff but I won't buy stuff grown in Mexico. Montezuma's Revenge is real.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:25 AM

12 posts, read 11,090 times
We are Californians - living in Florida. We were used to the top quality fresh produce as being "normal" - until we got here. Like everything else in this swamp. it's wilted, wet, moldy, pathetic by the time it arrives from back home. The retailers frequently freeze lettuce so it turns orange and slimy after two days in the fridge. Even frozen things are unfrozen and refrozen multiple times in FL due to extreme heat and power failures, so they become bad. Yes, the good produce is in CA.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:15 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I get a lot of my produce at the farmer's market too and agree that it is better, especially strawberries, peaches, plums. But there is no such thing as a tree-ripened avocado.
Local stuff is the best. We used to get the sweetest oranges at a local stand set up right at their orchard. $5 got you a large grocery bag of oranges. The owner was the nicest older woman.

One day we went to get some and not only were they closed down, their entire orchard had been cut down. I thought maybe the owner had died and the property sold, but who knows.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:37 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
When I was a kid, Mom would serve a wedge salad and sirloin steak for dinner. Not every night but often enough. A quarter head of iceberg with your favorite creamy salad dressing, chopped (crisp) bacon, diced tomatoes and red onions or chopped chives. Delish!
Harris Ranch serves wedge salads with baseball sirloin. Very yummy. Come hungry.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:06 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Harris Ranch serves wedge salads with baseball sirloin. Very yummy. Come hungry.
Indeed! It's one of my favorite ways to eat lettuce. It's nice to hear it's still enjoyed and didn't disappear off the menu. Steak is on the menu for me tomorrow night. Yum!

Old 12-23-2019, 05:54 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShotSRQ View Post
We are Californians - living in Florida. We were used to the top quality fresh produce as being "normal" - until we got here. Like everything else in this swamp. it's wilted, wet, moldy, pathetic by the time it arrives from back home. The retailers frequently freeze lettuce so it turns orange and slimy after two days in the fridge. Even frozen things are unfrozen and refrozen multiple times in FL due to extreme heat and power failures, so they become bad. Yes, the good produce is in CA.
Can’t you find fresh produce in the winter in south Florida?

Old 12-23-2019, 05:59 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I had to look up “baseball sirloin”. Never heard of it.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:37 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
I rarely buy veggies here in the winter. I make mini green houses to keep everything chugging. The BEST tomatoes. I'd never guy a store tomato or pepper ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California