Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 10:22 AM

560 posts, read 582,493 times

Advertisements

I just started cycling again, mostly around the neighborhood. For you bicyclists here in California, how has your routine changed since quarantine? What are your favorite places to ride, trails, all around the golden state? I'm of the mountain biking variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 10:35 AM

50,412 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Well, the beach is closed and the trails are closed so I ride road.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:57 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
If you're riding around the neighborhood, please wear a mask. Recent studies have shown, that bikers and others doing relatively strenuous exercise (beyond mere walking) exhale a lot more particles than people walking, and are putting everyone around them at risk of shedding the virus. They create a sort of exhalation stream that can remain in the air for some time.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for walking, running or biking outdoors during the quarantine, but it's important to do so responsibly. (Yeah, I know; I get frustrated with using a mask, too, but it's important. None of us knows if we're asymptomatic carriers of the virus, or not.)

Old 04-22-2020, 11:42 AM

14,356 posts, read 11,747,643 times
Trails are open where I live, but the parking lots are closed so you need to find a way to ride in. This cuts down on the foot & biking traffic, tremendously.

Fortunately I live close enough to one of our Orange County regional parks to ride in from my house. I have been riding twice a week on the trails every week except when the weather conditions did not permit (which seemed like a loooonng time this spring).

I don't wear a mask and have never seen anyone seriously riding a bike (as opposed to putzing around their neighborhood) with a mask. It would be very difficult to get enough oxygen while working out strenuously with a mask over your nose and mouth. If you want to see people dropping like flies, put masks on cyclists.

But there really are very few people out there. This morning, I think I passed only one other cyclist and a handful of hikers.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Trails are open where I live, but the parking lots are closed so you need to find a way to ride in. This cuts down on the foot & biking traffic, tremendously.

Fortunately I live close enough to one of our Orange County regional parks to ride in from my house. I have been riding twice a week on the trails every week except when the weather conditions did not permit (which seemed like a loooonng time this spring).

I don't wear a mask and have never seen anyone seriously riding a bike (as opposed to putzing around their neighborhood) with a mask. It would be very difficult to get enough oxygen while working out strenuously with a mask over your nose and mouth. If you want to see people dropping like flies, put masks on cyclists.

But there really are very few people out there. This morning, I think I passed only one other cyclist and a handful of hikers.
I'm pretty sure at 100 watts I'd blackout with any type of mask on.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:19 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,710,518 times
During week 2 of the lockdown, I made a point to go out and get my kids riding without their training wheels. It took a lot of running and holding their seats, but we got it done. By the third day of working on them they were able to do everything (start, stop, turn) on their own. Now it's all they want to do all day, every day. There's a big empty parking lot about 2 blocks away where we can ride safely. Part of it is chained off from from any cars, and we drew "streets" in chalk there.

I need to get them better bikes, because now they're standing to pump up hills and falling off their pedals because they're overspeeding their gears. I have a kid's 5-speed, but it's 20" and neither one can touch the ground with the seat all the way down. They're on 16" bikes with coaster brakes.

My son has no fear, too much self-confidence, and rides balls-to-the-wall. The coaster brake is no good for that. When you're headed for a wall or a telephone pole, it's impossible to remember to back pedal to stop. Need some grabby hand brakes because that reaction (panic squeeze) is a lot more natural. So far he's had a couple of no-brakes stops by hitting a concrete wall and clipping a telephone pole at full speed. Good thing he's built like a brick ****house, and is as tough as he is fearless.

Not to be outdone, yesterday, my daughter took a turn too aggressively and clipped a pedal on the road, sliding out and getting a pretty solid road rash through her clothing. She was back up and riding before it stopped bleeding. I also need more big band-aids and neosporin.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:30 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:

Yes, it depends on if you're riding to get serious exercise, or are just cruising around with the kids, like I see some parents doing. A recent study showed that if you're riding in a group, as in with family or a couple of friends, you need to maintain a lot more distance than previously believed. The same goes for running. Since you're exhaling a lot more particles than walkers do, and those particles can linger in the air for an unknown length of time, anyone coming behind you even a few minutes later could be at risk.
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...tance/2306609/
Quote:
...people walking, running, and cycling on neighborhood streets, [...] could increase the likelihood of airborne transmission should you pass an unsuspecting carrier at the wrong moment.

“There is some data to suggest that the spread could become worse, or more significant, in the setting of heavier breathing,” said Dr. Paul Schalch Lepe, a San Diego surgeon who specializes in ear, nose, and throat conditions.
Quote:
Doctors say face coverings are an important tool in slowing the spread of the coronavirus because they can help keep asymptomatic carriers from spreading it.

But the idea of wearing masks while exercising, as opposed to shopping for groceries, has been a tough sell

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-22-2020 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-22-2020, 03:28 PM

14,356 posts, read 11,747,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, it depends on if you're riding to get serious exercise, or are just cruising around with the kids, like I see some parents doing. A recent study showed that if you're riding in a group, as in with family or a couple of friends, you need to maintain a lot more distance than previously believed. The same goes for running. Since you're exhaling a lot more particles than walkers do, and those particles can linger in the air for an unknown length of time, anyone coming behind you even a few minutes later could be at risk.
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...tance/2306609/
I know you mean well, but we cannot worry about every single little thing and in the process, stop living. If it seems threatening to breathe in a wilderness park which has about 10 people per square mile, because someone MIGHT come along behind us several minutes later, that is where we have gone beyond the point of reason.

The parks and trails are open; I'm going to go with it is fine to go out there and ride my bike.

You are not going to convince runners or cyclists to wear masks while they are exercising strenuously. You might as well tell swimmers they have to keep their heads under water at all times.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I know you mean well, but we cannot worry about every single little thing and in the process, stop living. If it seems threatening to breathe in a wilderness park which has about 10 people per square mile, because someone MIGHT come along behind us several minutes later, that is where we have gone beyond the point of reason.

The parks and trails are open; I'm going to go with it is fine to go out there and ride my bike.

You are not going to convince runners or cyclists to wear masks while they are exercising strenuously. You might as well tell swimmers they have to keep their heads under water at all times.
Most days the westerly prevailing winds are at least 8 mph. I'm out with the cars not on a sidewalk. I'm pretty sure my breath isn't "lingering" anywhere for any length of time. Today was 14 mph and riding into it sucked.

If we are going to get it, it's going to be someplace we can't avoid. A grocery store.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:33 PM

8,361 posts, read 6,454,154 times
If your riding on the roads then pay for the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California