Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 11:19 AM

946 posts, read 567,371 times

Advertisements

Why do people move there? What industries are strong? What do people do for fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 12:15 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
its a college town. There is no industry there.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:00 PM

705 posts, read 506,670 times
People mostly retire there. Also, it’s majority white and liberal politically. Very wealthy community and you have to be rich to live in the town. For fun, they do stuff that rich people do for fun. In other words, stuff that costs money.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:24 PM

139 posts, read 360,117 times
The entire central coast of California has gotten way to crowded in the past 10 years. I'm looking to move, but can't figure out a good place anywhere in the country to move.
So if you don't mind the crowded conditions, come and enjoy.

Old 05-25-2020, 04:23 AM

93 posts, read 73,725 times
Beautiful

Old 05-25-2020, 10:06 AM

545 posts, read 513,959 times
It's gorgeous

A slight homeless problem but it's a beautiful little old California town and you can smell the ocean air, the weather is beautiful. Wine is grown around there and nearby

A quick trip to Santa Barbara, which is like a larger beach version of SLO

Quick trip to Santa Ynez area -- gorgeous

Quick trip to Paso Robles

Amtrak runs daily (I believe) to Los Angeles

It's also a Mission town, along with Santa Barbara. Mission towns have a particular charm to them

Old 05-25-2020, 11:07 AM

93 posts, read 73,725 times
It’s pricey to live but I live in Sonoma, so we aren’t far behind these days.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:25 PM

629 posts, read 619,932 times
I’m doing an extended job in SLO right now, and am staying in Cayucos for a couple months. I absolutely love this whole area. I tend to split time between SLO, Morro Bay, and Cayucos depending on my mood and the daily temperatures. If it’s too hot in SLO on any given day, then drive to morro or Cayucos and spend some beach time in cooler, but still perfect weather. Like today, I’m heading to the Cayucos stretch of beach. And it doesn’t matter where you end up, literally everywhere is naturally beautiful and peaceful.

And while SLO may slant liberal, it isn’t in your face and judgemental, as I find in the Bay Area (where I still live), which I find to be a nice breath of fresh air. I have no idea about political affiliation by talking to people or even driving through neighborhoods (not) seeing candidate signs and bumper stickers (no Bernie bros stickers on pickups here). I don’t feel judged for having a differing opinion on matters, or looked down on for not thinking the way I should. I don’t care what “side” you’re on, just don’t shove it down my face and make a fuss over political ideologies. A huge positive for the area.

I’ve also found Cayucos to be more on the conservative side of things, but still equally older and white in demographics. Again, I don’t label people by their beliefs the way people do in SF, so I love that people are allowed to have opinions here and that they don’t have to hide what they think and believe.

The younger population is also more down to earth and they have a grounded background, as cal poly attracts more small town kids, being that it’s a land grant ag school. Being from Texas, I find this quite appealing. I miss the live and let live attitude of what you find in Texas, so this has been a breath of fresh air (literally and figuratively). These are just normal people going about their lives. I’m probably making too much of this, but after living in the Bay Area for so long, I forgot what normal people are actually like.

Big thumbs up from me. I’m considering staying to be honest, as the slower pace of life, natural beauty, and lack of far left negativity has done wonders on my physical health and mental well being.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:09 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
As others have stated: a beautiful college town. The challenge for many is finding a job/career in the area that pays well.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:59 AM

545 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I’m doing an extended job in SLO right now, and am staying in Cayucos for a couple months. I absolutely love this whole area. I tend to split time between SLO, Morro Bay, and Cayucos depending on my mood and the daily temperatures. If it’s too hot in SLO on any given day, then drive to morro or Cayucos and spend some beach time in cooler, but still perfect weather. Like today, I’m heading to the Cayucos stretch of beach. And it doesn’t matter where you end up, literally everywhere is naturally beautiful and peaceful.

And while SLO may slant liberal, it isn’t in your face and judgemental, as I find in the Bay Area (where I still live), which I find to be a nice breath of fresh air. I have no idea about political affiliation by talking to people or even driving through neighborhoods (not) seeing candidate signs and bumper stickers (no Bernie bros stickers on pickups here). I don’t feel judged for having a differing opinion on matters, or looked down on for not thinking the way I should. I don’t care what “side” you’re on, just don’t shove it down my face and make a fuss over political ideologies. A huge positive for the area.

I’ve also found Cayucos to be more on the conservative side of things, but still equally older and white in demographics. Again, I don’t label people by their beliefs the way people do in SF, so I love that people are allowed to have opinions here and that they don’t have to hide what they think and believe.

The younger population is also more down to earth and they have a grounded background, as cal poly attracts more small town kids, being that it’s a land grant ag school. Being from Texas, I find this quite appealing. I miss the live and let live attitude of what you find in Texas, so this has been a breath of fresh air (literally and figuratively). These are just normal people going about their lives. I’m probably making too much of this, but after living in the Bay Area for so long, I forgot what normal people are actually like.

Big thumbs up from me. I’m considering staying to be honest, as the slower pace of life, natural beauty, and lack of far left negativity has done wonders on my physical health and mental well being.
There is a little "country" sophistication in SLO and around there. Which may sound counter-intutitive, but country and small town people will have a deeper appreciation and understanding of human nature compared to city people. Maybe because they are more immersed in nature, or have more time to think about it, but it's always the case. My larger point is that people in a place like SLO are going to understand that politics is always more a matter of taste than it is intelligence, education, knowledge. They used to call it one's "bent". Like a tree, it means you just grow or bend that way, and you can't help it. Just how God or Mother nature made you.

So you are judged as a person. Getting mad at someone for their politics is like getting mad at someone who doesn't like pizza. Why get mad over someone's tastes? With the city, especially today, there is this huge effort to correlate politics with one's educational level, so politics becomes code language for how far you went in school, with liberal politics equaling college and masters education and conservative equaling you never went to college. That's how city people want the world to be. It's all b.s. I see the same in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California