Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 18,892 times

Advertisements

My 21 year old daughter just moved in with a friend in the town of La Canada Flintridge. Can anyone tell me a little about the town she is staying? From what I can see on their website it looks like a very clean and pretty town. She is interested in bartending and dance - does anyone know if this is a good town for opportunities in either of those? Being 21 she also is looking forward to the nightlife - will she find that there or will she have to travel a bit?

Also she intends to get her own place and bring her cat when she does. Does California have restrictions or requirements regarding cats?

Any information at all will be helpful.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
La Canada / Flintridge is nice. It's nestled between the San Bernadino Mountains to the northeast and the Verdugo Mountains to the southwest which separate it from the San Fernando Valley. The ever present view of the mountains make this area a pretty place. There's probably some bar tending and dance stuff, and more nearby in Glendale and probably Burbank too. For a higher powered night life Hollywood is just a short drive away.

Cats are not required to be licensed (http://www.laanimalservices.com/petinfo_licensing.htm - broken link). Please get it neutered if not already done.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Personally I don't think your daughter could have picked a better place. The area is lovely and crime is much lower there then in other areas around it. Cats are no problem but as the above poster stated please be sure the cat is spayed or neutered. If the cat is an indoor/outdoor cat be aware that there are coyotes in that area, even in the populated part. There is plenty of night life close by. There is also a great law enforcement.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I agree with Cynwldkat. I grew up in that area, but went to La Crescenta schools (right next door). If I could afford to live there, I would. It's close enough to Pasadena, Glendale, and Burbank for you to feel like you're still in the city, but far away enough for a nice suburban feel. Your daughter got lucky!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It's close enough to Pasadena, Glendale, and Burbank for you to feel like you're still in the city, but far away enough for a nice suburban feel.
Hey! That perfectly describes the area.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
This is a great area to live in! There may not be a lot of bartending opportunities there but there are many in Glendale, Pasadena, Montrose and other areas close by (and most of them are very safe).

She picked a great place to live.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 AM

3 posts, read 18,892 times
Thank you all for the comments. So far she is loving California. I think once she gets her own car she'll be even happier with the opportunities that are nearby. Right now she is sharing a car with a friend.

As a mother havnig her daughter across country - I sleep better knowing she started in a beautiful, safe area and she can explore from that base.

Also - she can't wait to actually see a coyote (knowing of course to stay way back as they are wild animals)

When I need more information I know right where to go.........

Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 AM

101 posts, read 582,061 times
Don't worry--she's bound to see coyotes. I live in La Crescenta--right next to La Canada--and just the other day there was a coyote prancing down the center of my street with a young cat hanging from its mouth. If anyone knows how to actually get some help with coyote control from the county, please post the secret code.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 AM

72 posts, read 192,363 times
Tell your daughter to rent a room in the Flintridge side of town. Big houses and it used to be very prestigous to say, "I live in Flintridge."

Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 PM

37 posts, read 110,670 times
Anyone know commute from La Canada to Universal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California