Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2022, 11:33 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalbum View Post
The beauty of California is that if you want snow? You can drive to it - easily. Same for fall colors. Same for hot, dry, desert.

And you’re not driving cross county to get it.
This is true at least in part. I spent lots of time driving to the High Sierra and up and over passes to the eastern side around Bishop, Mammoth Lakes along with Tahoe. CA is a larger, longer state than many others combined. But it does take some effort!

The somewhat surprising part is how many Californians never drive much beyond their front door. They hang around their local hood, the beach and maybe go to their 'local' mountains like Big Bear from SoCal once or twice a year. It's not uncommon from folks in SoCal to have never visited places like Big Sur, Redwood National Park in NorCal, Tahoe, Yosemite, Mammoth, Kings Canyon, etc... I don't know if it laziness or simply lack of will to get off their hamster wheel of work, shopping, beach, gym rat activities, etc...

Growing up in SoCal it was pretty shocking how few people had actually traveled north of Santa Barbara. If you think of CA like the PNW, its longer than OR and WA combined. Though folks in the PNW are far more likely to do take road trips to places like Mt. Rainier NP, Glacier NP, Olympic NP, the San Juan Islands, Crater Lake and Canada. Maybe its a cultural mindset thing. Like if its not in SoCal, why bother kinda thing. Life's a beach and I live in paradise, don't cha know? What else could there be? Isn't this the center of the universe anyway? lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-07-2022 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 05:10 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It's all subjective. I think we all agree upon that.

Regarding climate, there are quite a few out of staters who grew up with seasons and actually enjoyed them including fall colors. While other natives may have traveled and experienced those things and also grew to appreciate them. For us, I would not want to sacrifice enjoying seasons after living in CO and now the PNW. Regarding snowbirds, yes, folks will migrate south during winter from colder/snowier climates for warmups. Ideally, at least for us, the best is to enjoy four real seasons, then take some winter warm up trips to HI, FL, etc...

Believe it or not, even places as far north as Canada are gorgeous throughout the year, more so in some ways than CA. Yet Canadians will happily snowbird to FL. They get it all that way - the best of the best.
See, I disagree. There is a subjective component (the climate/scenery that someone prefers) and an objective component (the climate that is easiest to live in). No matter how much one likes "four real seasons," mild climates are easier to live in than four-season climates.

Even the happiest snowbirds, if they live to be old enough, start to find it arduous to pack up and move south for a period of time every winter. Many decide to make their move south permanent; that's why the largest retirement communities are found in the South (especially Florida and Arizona).

Old 10-07-2022, 05:46 PM

130,120 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
This is true at least in part. I spent lots of time driving to the High Sierra and up and over passes to the eastern side around Bishop, Mammoth Lakes along with Tahoe. CA is a larger, longer state than many others combined. But it does take some effort!

The somewhat surprising part is how many Californians never drive much beyond their front door. They hang around their local hood, the beach and maybe go to their 'local' mountains like Big Bear from SoCal once or twice a year. It's not uncommon from folks in SoCal to have never visited places like Big Sur, Redwood National Park in NorCal, Tahoe, Yosemite, Mammoth, Kings Canyon, etc... I don't know if it laziness or simply lack of will to get off their hamster wheel of work, shopping, beach, gym rat activities, etc...

Growing up in SoCal it was pretty shocking how few people had actually traveled north of Santa Barbara. If you think of CA like the PNW, its longer than OR and WA combined. Though folks in the PNW are far more likely to do take road trips to places like Mt. Rainier NP, Glacier NP, Olympic NP, the San Juan Islands, Crater Lake and Canada. Maybe its a cultural mindset thing. Like if its not in SoCal, why bother kinda thing. Life's a beach and I live in paradise, don't cha kn
ow? What else could there be? Isn't this the center of the universe anyway? lol

Derek

That is pretty true everywhere. I used to visit my relatives in Long Island NY, they never left their neighborhood, it was like NYC didn't exist, a short train ride away. They were amazed I wanted to go & see it, which I did of course.

I also had pals in San Francisco who rarely ventured anywhere. It was a standing joke, if I asked her to go more 20 miles away, I would tell her, no passport needed. However when I dragged her up to my new home in NorCal, she loved it.

I love to explore all of my state & have been to most places, but not yet San Diego. However I hope to get there later this year or next year.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
See, I disagree. There is a subjective component (the climate/scenery that someone prefers) and an objective component (the climate that is easiest to live in). No matter how much one likes "four real seasons," mild climates are easier to live in than four-season climates.

Even the happiest snowbirds, if they live to be old enough, start to find it arduous to pack up and move south for a period of time every winter. Many decide to make their move south permanent; that's why the largest retirement communities are found in the South (especially Florida and Arizona).
In that specific scenario you've painted, the key there is *some* decide to to do that when they're too old/sickly to hop on a flight a couple times a year. That is highly dependent on one's final life stage and declining health. I know many seniors who happily travel in their later years - too many to list actually. But heck, old Biden and Trump are still flying all over the globe and they're pushing 80. If/when someone gets so old they can't travel at all, then in some cases they may choose warmer pastures. But that doesn't mean they will want to move to CA of all places! It's too darn expensive especially if all they want is warmth for the old bones. FL, TX, AZ, NM, etc.. would be better. Even places with some seasons and no snow are fine like the PNW, the Carolinas, etc...

I think many/most seniors who have family and are in their final life stage want to be closer to them whether that be in Canada, California, Tennessee, Utah, New York or Florida. If you can't even make it to the airport, chances are you're not going to be getting out much anyway and will likely need some assistance. Plus, 'most' want to be near kids/grandkids if they have them (and can tolerate them). Regardless, I don't see the benefit of CA over other better retirement locations if your only goal in life is warm weather.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-07-2022 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-07-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
If/when someone gets so old they can't travel at all, then in some cases they may choose warmer pastures. But that doesn't mean they will want to move to CA of all places! It's too darn expensive especially if all they want is warmth for the old bones. FL, TX, AZ, NM, etc.. would be better.
I never said that California was a top retirement relocation destination. But older retirees who already live here and own homes are pretty likely to stay, while retirees from cold-winter states like Connecticut, Ohio and New York are more likely to leave for warm-weather areas. The mild climate is one reason people "still want to live in California."

Old 10-07-2022, 07:07 PM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
As for being able to drive to see snow, that's true in many locations, not just CA. When I lived in Albuquerque we could simply drive up the mountain or head an hour north to Santa Fe. Here in SC it takes less than an hour to get to Asheville NC.

And it's all beautiful, beaches, deserts, mesas, mountains, woods, lakes, oceans, farmland. I've loved living in different places and exploring.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:52 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times
My car failed CA smog, it runs perfect. The regulators have to keep regulating or they lose their cushy high paying job. It would pass in any other state. California can go screw itself.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
As for being able to drive to see snow, that's true in many locations, not just CA. When I lived in Albuquerque we could simply drive up the mountain or head an hour north to Santa Fe. Here in SC it takes less than an hour to get to Asheville NC.

And it's all beautiful, beaches, deserts, mesas, mountains, woods, lakes, oceans, farmland. I've loved living in different places and exploring.
Kara,

Sshhhh, quiet. If more Californians realize they don't have the corner on the market for all these things, they might move there as well. haha

But more seriously, yes, I can be up in mountains and the snow much quicker than I ever could in while living in CA. And we have beautiful beaches, rivers, lakes, forests, deserts and more waterways, waterfalls and green than we ever had there. If all you've ever done is live in CA, there's a false assumption that other locations somehow don't have beautiful places too. If folks don't get out much beyond their local environment, they have a false impression of what the rest of the nation and world are actually like. But who needs to experience other things when CA apparently has it all.

Derek

Old 10-07-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
My car failed CA smog, it runs perfect. The regulators have to keep regulating or they lose their cushy high paying job. It would pass in any other state. California can go screw itself.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'd recommend you take the car to an independent mechanic who can quickly check that everything it needs to pass smog is in order. My husband has an independent shop and he does this a lot for customers. Sometimes a light needs to be switched off or he tells them to drive the car a certain length of time at a certain speed so the engine is very hot, right before it goes in. And ask for a recommendation for a smog check place. We personally own a number of older cars and always take them to the same place; my husband makes sure they don't have any issues that would make them fail, right before we take them in for the smog check. They always pass.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I had the same thing happen with my Nissan Maxima that ran like a champ. It wouldn't pass CA smog for stupid reasons having to do with sensors and their circuitry. The price to repair it all was not worth it as an older car. So, I sold it to my neighbor who gave it to his granddaughter in TX. It worked great for her while attending college there and they had no problems getting it licensed either.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California