Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 06:19 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

I'm genuinely curious.

We sold our last 2 properties in California to totally divest ourselves of financial ties to this state. With wildfires, pandemic pandemonium, climate change, lack of electricity and water, high taxes and higher insurance its no longer a safe nor particularly profitable place for out investment. Cost of living still remains high and the state population continues to grow

My mate has relatives who are still convinced that its the best place to be and that it further extends some kind of coveted status on them for being California residents. I still wonder how this mystique fits into the reality of a place thars burdened by overpopulation and a host of problems unique to this location.

So why do people still want to live there? Do you think this is or will change? Whats the next destination for those who find California too troubled to move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 06:33 AM

236 posts, read 154,629 times
If you like moderate climates then that could be a reason. Access to beaches, mountains, etc are pretty good also.

Cost is relative. If you can afford it and feel it is worth it then I understand it. I just have to laugh when people try to act as if the costs are not exorbitant.

Also it comes down to compromises. If you live outside of CA you are likely compromising on something like weather. Well these people are compromising on costs. No compromise is better or worse than another.

I have also learned what people are willing to subject themselves to regarding compromises does not necessarily line up with mine but that is OK.

The facts are there are very few people living in CA that can actually afford it, but they do not realize that yet.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:43 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
It is my home.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:56 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRockwell View Post
If you like moderate climates then that could be a reason. Access to beaches, mountains, etc are pretty good also...
That's pretty much it for me.
If I could find another place outside of California (in the U.S.) that has a near-identical climate as coastal San Diego (with lower housing cost), then I'd seriously consider moving - but I have a feeling such a place doesn't exist.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:07 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRockwell View Post

The facts are there are very few people living in CA that can actually afford it, but they do not realize that yet.
Why do you think of this idea? No one I know would agree with you. 40,000,000 would move away if no one could afford to live here. Think about it

Old 08-24-2020, 07:17 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Is climate really that compelling of a reason? Surely there are other places where it doesn't snow. Most humans in the US live in the controlled environment of home with AC and heat/car with the same etc. What happens if the climate changes significantly and say, theres no water and everything catches on fire? Which we already see happening? Will that be enough for people to explore other options?

We are in the very privileged few that could afford to live anywhere we wanted so the cost is not the issue, though I do agree that many middle income families are not getting a lot of value by living in many parts of California.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:19 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why do you think of this idea? No one I know would agree with you. 40,000,000 would move away if no one could afford to live here. Think about it
I agree, We live here on budget & do fine, (it's affordable for us.) So does everyone else I know.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:21 AM

208 posts, read 99,944 times
Your happiness is worth money. I don't live in California, but I'm sure its because of just being from there, being used to it and the cost of living, the status of being from California, weather, and the outdoors. Most people don't move to and from somewhere due to the cost of living.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:25 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Is climate really that compelling of a reason? Surely there are other places where it doesn't snow. Most humans in the US live in the controlled environment of home with AC and heat/car with the same etc. What happens if the climate changes significantly and say, theres no water and everything catches on fire? Which we already see happening? Will that be enough for people to explore other options?

We are in the very privileged few that could afford to live anywhere we wanted so the cost is not the issue, though I do agree that many middle income families are not getting a lot of value by living in many parts of California.
There are many different climates in California, so it’s not a place you can broad brush. I live in San Diego abd the climate is a huge factor.

I’ve lived in quite a few states and other countries where I’ve had to shovel snow, watch for flooding, etc. Here, there’s no snow, but I can drive to it within a reasonable amount of time if I want. It rarely floods here and when it does, it’s pretty predictable and in certain places that can be avoided.

When it’s -20 back east, it’s 65 degrees here. However, the crazy politicians and cost of living are starting to outweigh the weather benefits.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:26 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Ask people in the upper Midwest if they value climate vs shoveling snow most of the year. Or how about people in the Great Plains who deal with Tornadoes or those on the Gulf Coast that need to worry about Hurricanes each year. How about those in Texas that have stifling heat and humidity for about 1/2 of the year?

The fact of the matter is that most places will need to deal with one thing or another. I would agree that with global warming, droughts, fires and poor air quality are making the quality of life in California much worse. On the other hand, many other parts of the country have their own issues with Global Warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California