Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 08:52 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You are apparently not much of an outdoor person. In my circles, few people who are not quite elderly live in this "perpetual indoor a/c & heat environment." One reason that we live in California is so we DON'T have to live in this way. In fact, we personally never turn on the heat at all and use the a/c only in the most dire heat waves (such as the last week ). And we are outside every single day doing our preferred outdoor activities which could not be done without mountains, the beach, and a year-round mild climate.

The premise of your thread is so strange. It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that leaving California was the right choice by attempting to persuade others that it's a terrible place to live.
Actually we are avid skiers and swimmers. Our lifestyle is not the average US lifestyle by any stretch. In a nation with an obesity epidemic and car based suburbs my characterization of the climate controlled existence many have is not wrong. Even outdoor people live with air-conditioning and central heat. Most are not 100% in a tent in the wild.

We are going to inherit property in California and I really dread it. As bottom line people the state is not profitable for us. I am genuinely interested in what attraction it holds for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
--People often stick with what's familiar, not what's best for them.
--It's a pain to move.
--People want to stay near friends and family.
--It's not that easy to find another job in a pandemic where lots of things are closed and unemployment is in the double digits.
I think your first bullet point accounts for quite a bit.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Q: "We are going to inherit property in California and I really dread it. "

Why dread an inheritance? If you don't want it, sell it.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Why dread an inheritance. If you don't want it, sell it.
We will. But thats fraught for many reasons unrelated to this thread.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:56 AM

126 posts, read 81,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I'm genuinely curious.

We sold our last 2 properties in California to totally divest ourselves of financial ties to this state. With wildfires, pandemic pandemonium, climate change, lack of electricity and water, high taxes and higher insurance its no longer a safe nor particularly profitable place for out investment. Cost of living still remains high and the state population continues to grow

My mate has relatives who are still convinced that its the best place to be and that it further extends some kind of coveted status on them for being California residents. I still wonder how this mystique fits into the reality of a place thars burdened by overpopulation and a host of problems unique to this location.

So why do people still want to live there? Do you think this is or will change? Whats the next destination for those who find California too troubled to move there?
The weather and culture are the main reasons.

But, that is changing. California has gone full crazy, and you have to be a sucker to move there these days.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:56 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,088,000 times
You can do the documents etc online. Your taxes won't be high, if you sell close to inheritance date. Selling a property can be nerve-wrecking, in any state, don't blame CA.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:59 AM

4,316 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:

We are going to inherit property in California and I really dread it. As bottom line people the state is not profitable for us. I am genuinely interested in what attraction it holds for others.
Look at the weekend options for someone living in San Francisco and tell me how many other places have this type of equivalency:

-Wine tasting in Napa or Sonoma (in addition to numerous other wine regions)
-Exploring beach and golf in Monterey/Carmel
-Skiing (winter) or boating/beaches/gambling in Lake Tahoe
-Gambling in Reno
-Exploring any of these national parks - Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Lassen, Redwood, Pinnacles
-Mediterranean vibe of Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo
-Theme parks galore within a day's drive in LA area (or closer by with Great America, Six Flags or Santa Cruz Boardwalk)
-Staycation in SF or Oakland to experience world class dining, theatre/arts, festivals or outdoor recreation

Old 08-24-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Look at the weekend options for someone living in San Francisco and tell me how many other places have this type of equivalency:

-Gambling in Reno
-Exploring any of these national parks - Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Lassen, Redwood, Pinnacles
-Theme parks galore within a day's drive in LA area (or closer by with Great America, Six Flags or Santa Cruz Boardwalk)
-Staycation in SF or Oakland to experience world class dining, theatre/arts, festivals or outdoor recreation
Uh have you ever been to the east coast?

Old 08-24-2020, 09:00 AM

4,316 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Uh have you ever been to the east coast?
New York is great, no doubt about it. But, you can't do all of that outdoor activity year-round. Its also super pricey, similar to California.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:12 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post

-Gambling in Reno
Another great example. There’s so much diversity here. I can drive to the beach and a beautiful coastline in 15 min, the mountains in 1 hour and the desert in 2-3 hours.

I don’t know many places that have the diversity of ecosystems like California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California