Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 06:20 PM

223 posts, read 153,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Good grief. Give it an efing rest. Just move and shut up about it.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:32 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDaver View Post
I think a lot of us are just frustrated that we moved here for the CA dream and the state has ended up failing us. I've been here since 97, the homeless population alone is enough to leave. It's going to be catastrophic and who's going to pay for it?
The only people that can afford to live here (coastal cities that is) are the Section 8 people on food stamps and those who make $100k and up. Everyone else is just treading water and footing the bill. The middle class are the ones paying for everyone else and gaining nothing...
And yes, I am shutting up and moving before the year's end...
Your dream failing is the state’s fault? Did the NFL fail you when your dream of playing in the big league didn’t pan out?

And you can’t find a way to avoid homeless people?

It’s “going to be catastrophic?” What’s catastrophic? Homelessness? Yes, it’s a nasty problem all over ... but the world continues to turn.

Daver, sorry but you read like a guy who hasn't really dealt with much (if any) adversity in life.

Uncle Sam brought me to California in the mid-1960’s. I don’t earn anywhere near $100K from my pension. I’ve never owned California real estate. I live on the coast. And I’ve never been on Section 8.

You not being creative enough to make a place for yourself in California isn’t the state’s failing, brotherman.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:58 PM

426 posts, read 353,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A big missing factor in mos to of the contributions to this entire discussion is the length of time people have lived in Calfornia.

A 70 year old person born and raised in Calfornia has seen dramatic changes that someone who moved here 5 years ago has never experienced.

So when someone, "I am here in California because it is my home", hasn't experienced much change from when he moved here 5 years ago, it is a very different thing from the person who has lived here their entire life.

That 70 year old who has lived here all 70 years of her life can also say "I am here in California because it is my home", but it may no longer be the home of her youth or even the home she knew 30 years ago. That 70 year old will have seen massive changes in cost of living, crowded conditions, governance, demographics, the quality of education, the growth of government unions, the cost of Universities, the explosion of welfare and homeless populations, traffic conditions, laws and regulations, and social attitudes and norms.

So the perspective from those 2 individuals is going to be radically different. The 15year resident who loved California upon moving here and has only seen modest changes over his 5 years may still love it here. The 70 year old may hate it here and all of the sunshine and dry heat in the world is not enough to make up for all of the detrimental changes she has lived through and wants to seek out a new home that at least negates some of those above reference changes, despite more rain or clouds or snow or humidity.
Who cares? That 70 year old person also had the capability of buying real estate SUPER cheap and carry the tax basis forward to compound for 50 years. But sure, keep crying about cost of living.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adistea17 View Post
Are you saying that with a $100,000 yearly salary the gross monthly pay would only be $4167? That's way way way off.
No. I'm saying with a 100,000 gross annual salary that's what the net take home pay looks after taxes, withholdings, etc. It's all there in the little chart.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of us are just frustrated that we moved here for the CA dream and the state has ended up failing us. I've been here since 97, the homeless population alone is enough to leave. It's going to be catastrophic and who's going to pay for it?
The only people that can afford to live here (coastal cities that is) are the Section 8 people on food stamps and those who make $100k and up. Everyone else is just treading water and footing the bill. The middle class are the ones paying for everyone else and gaining nothing...
And yes, I am shutting up and moving before the year's end...
It's not the CA dream that failed you. It's you who failed to live up to your dream.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:31 PM

223 posts, read 153,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
No. I'm saying with a 100,000 gross annual salary that's what the net take home pay looks after taxes, withholdings, etc. It's all there in the little chart.
The chart is throwing me off. If you make 100k a year, your gross monthly should be around $8400, not $4167. And the net take home should be around $5200. Give or take your deductions. I'm speaking from experience so that's why it doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something lol?

Old 09-01-2020, 10:22 PM

117 posts, read 80,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I think some us find it frustrating that those who have decided CA is no longer working for them and have moved out, post on CA forums how had it is here, a "cesspool" failed state and on and on CA bashing. I know if I moved out of CA for those reasons, I would be concentrating on my new home state and wanting where I came from to be a fading memory.......hence I would not be popping up on CA forums
The memory is already fading and I haven't even left yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Your dream failing is the state’s fault? Did the NFL fail you when your dream of playing in the big league didn’t pan out?

And you can’t find a way to avoid homeless people?

It’s “going to be catastrophic?” What’s catastrophic? Homelessness? Yes, it’s a nasty problem all over ... but the world continues to turn.

Daver, sorry but you read like a guy who hasn't really dealt with much (if any) adversity in life.

If you only knew, but that's a different story for a different forum...Bill W. saved my life

You not being creative enough to make a place for yourself in California isn’t the state’s failing, brotherman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
It's not the CA dream that failed you. It's you who failed to live up to your dream.
I worked 2 jobs for 6 years in Denver before moving out here. I qualified buy a duplex in Lemon Grove with hard earned cash in 1998 when a blue collar guy making $15 an hour could still do that and it was the only place I could afford. I now have 2 houses in Lemon Grove. I'm at the top of my game in my company and without changing careers completely with new training I'm stuck. I have a separate workshop behind my house to make extra $ on the side to make ends meet. We're cash poor but rich in equity. I have more than succeeded in my mind, the state has not kept up their end. Do you have $600k in pure equity you can go anywhere with? How's your dream going before you assume where I'm at?

Old 09-02-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adistea17 View Post
The chart is throwing me off. If you make 100k a year, your gross monthly should be around $8400, not $4167. And the net take home should be around $5200. Give or take your deductions. I'm speaking from experience so that's why it doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something lol?
The chart is showing bi-monthly paychecks. $4,167*2 = $8,334 per month.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:

I worked 2 jobs for 6 years in Denver before moving out here. I qualified buy a duplex in Lemon Grove with hard earned cash in 1998 when a blue collar guy making $15 an hour could still do that and it was the only place I could afford. I now have 2 houses in Lemon Grove. I'm at the top of my game in my company and without changing careers completely with new training I'm stuck. I have a separate workshop behind my house to make extra $ on the side to make ends meet. We're cash poor but rich in equity. I have more than succeeded in my mind, the state has not kept up their end. Do you have $600k in pure equity you can go anywhere with? How's your dream going before you assume where I'm at?
And what exactly was the state supposed to do other than cause the value of your home to probably triple since 1998??? I fail to see the problem, much less why it's the big boogeyman California's fault.

But to answer your question, yes.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:15 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:

Nothing you describe as your personal level of achievement gives any indication of struggling through adversity, which is what I questioned. Lots of people in the world work steady and hard. It’s really quite common. Everything you write in these couple posts simply smacks of some sort of sense of entitlement. Working steadily and diligently is a good quality ... congratulations, really. Very nice. But it’s common ... and it remains entirely unclear how the state has failed you. What sort of entitlement do you expect?

As for your question about my “worth” ... I said I’ve never been a California property owner. I didn’t say I don’t have any financial net worth. I happen to have cash multiples (plural) of your challenge figure, liquid. But it’s rather meaningless to me as material and financial possessions are not how I measure success and value. I consider my financial position to be good fortune. I’ve been lucky that way. Regardless, I live on less than half the income you proposed as “required” for happiness in California. I enjoy a minimalist lifestyle living on my boat by choice. I find happiness and fulfillment in very simple things ... without expectations of rewards from the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California