Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 07:51 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemerique415 View Post
we have a lot of local small businesses shuttering. We have enormous unemployment as a result. What does racial equity have to do with lockdowns when your state is on the brink of bankruptcy? We can't make the river dwellers, addicts, homeless take care of themselves. So it seems like it's punishing all of us for their shortcomings. I just hate to see good working citizens and local iconic business shut down and suffer like this. No politics aside, just common concerns.
Business wouldn't shuttering if we didn't have a covid "problem", right? The only way to stop the bleeding is to control the number of new cases so that businesses can prosper. How can you control the number of new cases when the largest number are occuring in poor largely minority neighborhoods unless you force the counties to pay attention to those areas? They need more testing, maybe a campaign to distribute masks and hand sanitizers to them and pay for hotel/ motel rooms for people who contract the disease and live in multigenerational households to quarantine in.

I might have missed it but I don't recall reading about river dwellers or addicts in regards to this plan, can you link the source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 11:19 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,153,774 times
I have no problem with current resources being targeted/shifted toward areas that are hardest hit by COVID, just as someone upthread made the analogy of more police presence being warranted in higher crime areas. Maybe some extra social media PSA's reminding people in those geographical regions about hand-washing, masks, social distancing, not hosting parties, not joining mass demonstrations if they have anyone high-risk at home, that sort of thing. Everyone knows this already, but a lot of people are suffering from COVID/shutdown fatigue and seem to be letting their guard down. Also, there are cultural norms that aren't easily influenced by PSA's (think family get-togethers for the tiniest of "occasions") that aren't going to change.

I do have a problem with dumbing-down the openings/closings based on the lowest common denominator since there will always be one...and a bigger problem making this issue about race or ethnicity. Lower income people have always lived in closer quarters and suffered because of it when crises have hit. It's unfortunate but will never be solvable. Throwing more bureaucracy (which ultimately means $$$) at this problem is completely foolish and wasteful and ultimately hurts everyone.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,562,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This state is truly going crazy. Between this, all the taxes, and now the reparations bill, I don't see myself staying in this state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
51 years in California and thanks to our current governor, this past week was the first time in my life I have seriously thought that my life would be better elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl8 View Post
I too am feeling like life in another state would be better. I love California but each year goes by with more legislation that seems to bring our states backwards rather than forwards
Well don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

As a life long CA resident, I am not going to leave all that is near and dear just because I think governor is too liberal. Basically I ignore politics and just enjoy my life. My BIL lives in AZ and hates the politics, low wages, lack of. services and low end medical care. Son lived in Texas for two years and disliked the crime and weather.

Any psychologist we tell you, if you aren’t happy living where you live now chances are changing locale won’t make you happier, assuming you live in good area

Old 10-06-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I have no problem with current resources being targeted/shifted toward areas that are hardest hit by COVID, just as someone upthread made the analogy of more police presence being warranted in higher crime areas. Maybe some extra social media PSA's reminding people in those geographical regions about hand-washing, masks, social distancing, not hosting parties, not joining mass demonstrations if they have anyone high-risk at home, that sort of thing. Everyone knows this already, but a lot of people are suffering from COVID/shutdown fatigue and seem to be letting their guard down. Also, there are cultural norms that aren't easily influenced by PSA's (think family get-togethers for the tiniest of "occasions") that aren't going to change.

I do have a problem with dumbing-down the openings/closings based on the lowest common denominator since there will always be one...and a bigger problem making this issue about race or ethnicity. Lower income people have always lived in closer quarters and suffered because of it when crises have hit. It's unfortunate but will never be solvable. Throwing more bureaucracy (which ultimately means $$$) at this problem is completely foolish and wasteful and ultimately hurts everyone.
But the people who live in those areas clean your house, or work in the rest home your grandma lives in, if nothing else that should make reducing the number of cases in those areas a priority.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

As a life long CA resident, I am not going to leave all that is near and dear just because I think governor is too liberal. Basically I ignore politics and just enjoy my life. My BIL lives in AZ and hates the politics, low wages, lack of. services and low end medical care. Son lived in Texas for two years and disliked the crime and weather.

Any psychologist we tell you, if you aren’t happy living where you live now chances are changing locale won’t make you happier, assuming you live in good area
My mother wasn't a psychologist but she said something very similar "if you're not happy here you won't be happy there" And I agree with you, I lived in Northern Nevada for 14 years and I couldn't wait to move back to California when my husband retired.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:49 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,462,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But the people who live in those areas clean your house, or work in the rest home your grandma lives in, if nothing else that should make reducing the number of cases in those areas a priority.

That's a good point.

More than that too, the people in lower income communities are far more likely to be working traditional jobs as opposed to those who work from home since the latter tends to favor professionals, not blue collar types. That in turn means those in the lower income areas are being subject to more exposure which explains why they're on the receiving end of covid19 at a higher rate. That's also where an equity plan such as this falls slightly short. Unless we're willing to pay everyone who isn't afforded a wfh job to stay put, it's hard to address that key variable.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:01 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,462,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
I do have a problem with dumbing-down the openings/closings based on the lowest common denominator since there will always be one...and a bigger problem making this issue about race or ethnicity.

The last part is where I'm at too but if you read the state's plan, it doesn't dwell on it as much as suggested in the original link. That said, I'm always suspect of the state when it comes to this sort of thing because they tend to take social justice issues too far. And besides that, with respect to race and poverty, the connection is incidental but not causative. It's actually really racist in my view to think otherwise (i.e. that race causes people to end up the lower income categories).

Old 10-06-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
That's a good point. More than that too, the people in lower income communities are far more likely to be working traditional jobs as opposed to those who work from home since the latter tends to favor professionals, not blue collar types. That in turn means those in the lower income areas are being subject to more exposure which explains why they're on the receiving end of covid19 at a higher rate. That's also where an equity plan such as this falls slightly short. Unless we're willing to pay everyone who isn't afforded a wfh job to stay put, it's hard to address that key variable.
The other problem is the larger than average number of multi-generational households in those impacted communities. I've been doing census enumeration for the last few months and it's not unusual for three or four generations to share a house in some of the lower income areas. One family I contacted had 15 people living in their home, another had 14.

There will never be a perfect solution but doing a lot more testing within the impacted communities should help some, as will educational programs to encourage people to wear masks and practice social distancing. But the other elephant in the room is the reluctance of undocumented people and refugees to even go to a doctor, refugees are here legally but many of them have the idea that if they go to a doctor they might lose their green card and be deported.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The last part is where I'm at too but if you read the state's plan, it doesn't dwell on it as much as suggested in the original link. That said, I'm always suspect of the state when it comes to this sort of thing because they tend to take social justice issues too far. And besides that, with respect to race and poverty, the connection is incidental but not causative. It's actually really racist in my view to think otherwise (i.e. that race causes people to end up the lower income categories).
In Sacramento County most of the impacted areas have far more white residents than they do minorities.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:35 PM

50,412 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The other problem is the larger than average number of multi-generational households in those impacted communities. I've been doing census enumeration for the last few months and it's not unusual for three or four generations to share a house in some of the lower income areas. One family I contacted had 15 people living in their home, another had 14.

There will never be a perfect solution but doing a lot more testing within the impacted communities should help some, as will educational programs to encourage people to wear masks and practice social distancing. But the other elephant in the room is the reluctance of undocumented people and refugees to even go to a doctor, refugees are here legally but many of them have the idea that if they go to a doctor they might lose their green card and be deported.
Everyone was on lock down but these exact same people. The lawn mowers and leaf blowers were still going full tilt. Home depot still had a group of people huddled together every day looking for day work. It makes complete sense it spread this way. It would have made more sense to have been educating these folks, even by more than standard measures, than chasing people walking alone on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California