Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 11:07 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
Modoc County in northeastern California.
We thought that Modoc County was very quiet until we heard sonic booms from military jets. We were driving along a USFS road that meandered from highway 139 to just south of Goose Lake in the Modoc National Forest. We didn’t see anyone else the entire time we were on that series of gravel roads.

Surprise Valley in the NE part of California is very quiet. There are mainly alkaline lakes. Also look at the Warner Mountain Range. We drove on several USFS roads and only saw a shepherd on a horse. Across the border is one of the quietest places we have ever been to: Smoke Creek Valley in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 04:35 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Here is a map, OP:
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015...uietest-places

I am sure that remote areas in Wyoming, Utah, Alaska etc. are pretty quiet. The quietest overall area is the Basin and Range region, which includes a number of mountain ranges stretching from Southeastern Oregon into Utah, Idaho, and Nevada.

If you're wondering about a quietiest town, it's apparently Green Bank, also known as the Quietest Town in America, Green Bank sits at the heart of the USA's National Radio Quiet Zone, a 13,000-square-mile area straddling the mountainous border of Virginia and West Virginia.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:51 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
However, keep in mind that a total silence can kill.
It can’t be seen or heard; can take place indoors or outside; it’s not biological, environmental or radiation, but it can make you sick or kill.
https://medium.com/@arnowayne13/how-...u-10175c6822d2
A little noise is good for your mental health. Because when confronted with absolute or even near silence, human brains and ears react in some pretty weird ways that can result in a wide range of bizarre sonic experiences. From auditory hallucinations to experiences associated with certain forms of psychosis.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:14 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Default Carizzo Plain

During a drive from SF to LA, I made a detour to the Carizzo Plain. The timing wasn't quite right for the wildflowers,
and no one else was there. It's probably the quietest place in CA I've ever visited -- essentially silent.
Too far from major roads for any vehicle noise, no aircraft passing overhead
(or else too high up to be audible). It was so quiet that when a little bird flew by,
I could hear the sound of the air passing over its wings.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:07 PM

46 posts, read 60,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We thought that Modoc County was very quiet until we heard sonic booms from military jets. We were driving along a USFS road that meandered from highway 139 to just south of Goose Lake in the Modoc National Forest. We didn’t see anyone else the entire time we were on that series of gravel roads.

Surprise Valley in the NE part of California is very quiet. There are mainly alkaline lakes. Also look at the Warner Mountain Range. We drove on several USFS roads and only saw a shepherd on a horse. Across the border is one of the quietest places we have ever been to: Smoke Creek Valley in Nevada.
I was wondering about that.

I was contacted by someone in Modoc County who said he had a quiet place. Maybe he lives in an area away from the sonicbooms. But according to skyvector.com there is a Military Operation Areas (MOA) in Modoc County within Alturas as well as within the area you describe.

Do you know anything about Orleans, WIllow Creek, or Gasquet (MOA in this one) in terms of quiet?

Old 12-25-2020, 09:40 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
I was wondering about that.

I was contacted by someone in Modoc County who said he had a quiet place. Maybe he lives in an area away from the sonicbooms. But according to skyvector.com there is a Military Operation Areas (MOA) in Modoc County within Alturas as well as within the area you describe.

Do you know anything about Orleans, WIllow Creek, or Gasquet (MOA in this one) in terms of quiet?
The wilderness area between Gasquet and Orleans is used for prayer and meditation retreats by the local tribal people. That's about as quiet as you can get; IOW they wouldn't use the area for that purpose, if it weren't quiet and inspirational. It's the locus of a number of sacred sites. When it was threatened with logging and other resource extraction by the Forest Service, local tribes sued to prevent it on freedom-of-religion grounds, and Congress responded by passing the California Wilderness Act, giving protected status to the area.

That's all I can tell you about Orleans and Gasquet. Whether logging takes place anywhere else within potential earshot of those towns, I don't know.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:54 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
Guinda
Horse Creek

Old 12-31-2020, 01:40 AM

283 posts, read 626,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromnoise82 View Post
At minimal:
-Loud Exhaust/ATVs/Modified Mufflers...None to very minimal --no more than a sum total of a few minutes a day, no more than 15 instances per day, most/all at least 1/4 mile away.
-Motorized noise/Compressors (landscaping, agricultural): No more than 3 hours per week at audible distance
-No sonic booms
-No low military aircraft or very minimal --no more than 3 times/week and nothing under 500 ft. (nothing against the military, just don't want to live under their training routes)
-Minimal air traffic in general
-No distant humming noises from compressors/motors
-No train noise
when you find this place let us know as well

Old 12-31-2020, 02:49 AM

167 posts, read 590,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

Trona is down right "outer space" quiet.
They still get the jets from the base. Not as much as we do in Ridgecrest, though.

I vote for Morro Bay, too. It’s my happy place!

Old 01-01-2021, 08:47 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
A lot of these places are quiet right up to deer season then overnight it's BOOM BOOM for two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California