Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2021, 10:57 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
better in this context means = positive 'inflow' of productive Americans and net gain of US citizens.

tide has turned = a 'rise' in what ever demographic you can measure within the context of the OP
In other words, attract white folk from West Virginia and Louisiana and keep non-citizens out? I'm not sure we'd be better off...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 11:09 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
He's moving Tesla headquarters to Texas, and at the same time he is expanding vehicle manufacturing in California. My question is, why does Texas choose not to have a state income tax, they are one of 9 states who don't? Seems pretty dumb to me to give the richest man in the world a "free ride".
Texas didn’t specifically do this for him. It’s been this way for a long time . They just get their tax revenue from real estate taxes instead. Seems to work okay for them.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:11 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
And how exactly can California keep companies from "jumping ship"? Lower the minimum wage to $7.25 like Texas and Tennessee? Give out billions in tax and fee offsets to attract them, like Texas has done? https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...d-16164744.php

On a personal level I would like to see 1/4 of the population of California leave the state, it would be far more pleasant. I tend to think that 'out of staters' obsess on these issues far more than Californians do.
Perhaps they do obsess on it, but there’s no shortage of California people that are obsessed enough about it to keep responding to it.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Perhaps they do obsess on it, but there’s no shortage of California people that are obsessed enough about it to keep responding to it.
Obsessed or sick and tired of the constant drone of California haters? I think it's the latter. I'm a third generation Californian and I love this state, so yeah I get defensive at times, as do people in other state forums when they have a bunch of disgruntled people spend all their time attacking their state.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:20 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
And how exactly can California keep companies from "jumping ship"? Lower the minimum wage to $7.25 like Texas and Tennessee? Give out billions in tax and fee offsets to attract them, like Texas has done? https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...d-16164744.php

On a personal level I would like to see 1/4 of the population of California leave the state, it would be far more pleasant. I tend to think that 'out of staters' obsess on these issues far more than Californians do.
California gives out billions in tax breaks already to all kinds of corporations so it is no different than Texas there.

The minimum wage in both TX and TN is certainly low and many companies don't even offer that low of an amount in the major cities because they'd get no employees.

Quote:
Obsessed or sick and tired of the constant drone of California haters? I think it's the latter. I'm a third generation Californian and I love this state, so yeah I get defensive at times, as do people in other state forums when they have a bunch of disgruntled people spend all their time attacking their state.
Pointing out things CA should look at fixing is not hating. Every state has things they can fix and this is among CA's biggest problem. For some reason folks here immediately jump to Trump or say people are hating anytime someone says CA should do something to keep companies that hold thousands of middle class jobs.

Old 12-30-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
California gives out billions in tax breaks already to all kinds of corporations so it is no different than Texas there.

The minimum wage in both TX and TN is certainly low and many companies don't even offer that low of an amount in the major cities because they'd get no employees.

Pointing out things CA should look at fixing is not hating. Every state has things they can fix and this is among CA's biggest problem. For some reason folks here immediately jump to Trump or say people are hating anytime someone says CA should do something to keep companies that hold thousands of middle class jobs.
You are going after the wrong poster, I never said a word about Trump. As far as salary for people working in auto manufacturing plants, I don't know what they pay in Texas or Tennessee, but in Alabama the average hourly wage for an auto manufacturing plant is $10 an hour. And it's obvious that auto manufacturers are bottom feeders and despise unions, otherwise why would they outsource as much as they can to Mexico?

Old 12-30-2021, 01:09 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
In other words, attract white folk from West Virginia and Louisiana and keep non-citizens out? I'm not sure we'd be better off...
Really? you found the hidden race card in that? Holy crap! You're one social justice warrior aren't ya.

There is some real objective data to explore without that hyperbolic crap.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:08 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
You are going after the wrong poster, I never said a word about Trump. As far as salary for people working in auto manufacturing plants, I don't know what they pay in Texas or Tennessee, but in Alabama the average hourly wage for an auto manufacturing plant is $10 an hour. And it's obvious that auto manufacturers are bottom feeders and despise unions, otherwise why would they outsource as much as they can to Mexico?
Im not going after anyone and didnt say you said anything about Trump (it was a general statement...), but you did immediately jump to people "hating" on California for simply pointing out things the state could do better with.

As far as outsourcing internationally, go ahead and thank Clinton/Bush/NAFTA for that. We've tried bringing some of that back to America but folls voted against it.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:33 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Really? you found the hidden race card in that? Holy crap! You're one social justice warrior aren't ya.

There is some real objective data to explore without that hyperbolic crap.
I got the same impression from your post that sleepy did. What, then, did you mean?

Old 12-30-2021, 02:46 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I got the same impression from your post that sleepy did. What, then, did you mean?
about what?... be very specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California