Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2021, 03:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,996,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Whats funny is people telling others they are spinning the numbers when thats what youre doing. The only reason why California is growing is due to natural increase (births minus deaths). Simply put more people are being born in California than dying... The migration numbers (people already in California) has been negative for almost two decades and has been growing the last few years.

Like you said it's not a bad thing since the state is crowded but when a single/DINK (all with cars) move in to replace a family of 4+, it doesnt seem like the traffic situation is helped all that much even though in this example California would have lost 2-3 extra residents.

No they are not. California is losing 100k plus domestic migrantz annually while gaining less than 30k international immigrants in the same year. No where near enough the offset the out-migration.
California has nothing to worry about from other states. Its biggest concerns are climate change and earthquakes. Hopefully, geoengineering saves the day and climate change disasters become a thing we can all joke about like y2k.

When your precious Texas starts sprouting houses like these, well start worrying.
Understood, mrjester?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSjd_4Jvuo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 06:47 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
California has nothing to worry about from other states. Its biggest concerns are climate change and earthquakes. Hopefully, geoengineering saves the day and climate change disasters become a thing we can all joke about like y2k.

When your precious Texas starts sprouting houses like these, well start worrying.
Understood, mrjester?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSjd_4Jvuo
If you think all CA has to worry about is climate change then you surely have the blinders on. That's like saying all Texas has to worry about is hurricanes or droughts. In other words thats a pretty damn ignorant comment.

Not sure what posting a Bay Area mansion has to do with anything. California is not the only place with mansions, and large ones at that. What a weird thing to post as proof there are no problems in the state. Lol.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:13 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,996,337 times
Quote:
If you think all CA has to worry about is climate change then you surely have the blinders on. That's like saying all Texas has to worry about is hurricanes or droughts. In other words thats a pretty damn ignorant comment.

Not sure what posting a Bay Area mansion has to do with anything. California is not the only place with mansions, and large ones at that. What a weird thing to post as proof there are no problems in the state. Lol.
Your precious Texas isn't on California's level, and never will be. The only world class thing Texas has is big bend, but it's not a big deal because nobody lives near it. Austin will always be midtier in tech. Texas BBQ isn't even the best in the country.
People will always be glad to pay a premium to live in California. Your fear mongering isn't going to change anything. Go back to trolling chimerique, mrjester. You're wasting your time here. Californians know there are issues here(traffic/cost/pollution) and are working to fix them.

Goodbye

The armpit of the state(southern San Joaquin)

Old 12-30-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Your precious Texas isn't on California's level, and never will be. The only world class thing Texas has is big bend, but it's not a big deal because nobody lives near it. Austin will always be midtier in tech. Texas BBQ isn't even the best in the country.
People will always be glad to pay a premium to live in California. Your fear mongering isn't going to change anything. Go back to trolling chimerique, mrjester. You're wasting your time here. Californians know there are issues here(traffic/cost/pollution) and are working to fix them.

Goodbye

The armpit of the state(southern San Joaquin)
The thing is I never said California was not a beautiful state and never said it was not popular for high income earners. You are doing all this because you know what I did say is true. Posting these photos does nothing but waste bandwidth. You can keep trolling if you want though but it is pretty sad. And yes you are trolling by trying to slight everything in Texas like this is some competition, meanwhile I never did this once for California. Besides you dont even know where I reside and are making assumptions by posting like this.

The unfortunate thing is there are many who think like you and dont actually care about their fellow Californians. Instead they daydream about the wealthy people who live here.

And all this for saying California can do better for its middle class. Wow.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:24 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Obsessed or sick and tired of the constant drone of California haters? I think it's the latter. I'm a third generation Californian and I love this state, so yeah I get defensive at times, as do people in other state forums when they have a bunch of disgruntled people spend all their time attacking their state.
You do realize that constantly engaging people simply keeps it going. If you don’t engage it just dies off. If others get upset in other forums I’ll say the same thing, don’t engage. If it truly bothers you block posters or just don’t come to the forum. It’s always been this way ever since I’ve been here. It is what it is.

Theres a difference when people post real facts or situations that exist in California and people respond to it as hate and take it personally. Facts are facts. Some people get defensive and see them as just hate.

I spent all my life in California until 6 years ago. As a lifelong resident I thought California was the best place in the world and looked down at other states. While California is a terrific place, it still isn’t perfect. I never realized it until I moved away and could make a comparison. I still like California and came back to visit lifelong friends and family a few times a year, until covid hit.
I am looking forward to visiting it again, but as I said it isn’t perfect, no where is. People can make fun of the south and criticize it and in some cases I can’t argue, what they say can be true.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:00 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You do realize that constantly engaging people simply keeps it going. If you don’t engage it just dies off. If others get upset in other forums I’ll say the same thing, don’t engage. If it truly bothers you block posters or just don’t come to the forum. It’s always been this way ever since I’ve been here. It is what it is.

Theres a difference when people post real facts or situations that exist in California and people respond to it as hate and take it personally. Facts are facts. Some people get defensive and see them as just hate.

I spent all my life in California until 6 years ago. As a lifelong resident I thought California was the best place in the world and looked down at other states. While California is a terrific place, it still isn’t perfect. I never realized it until I moved away and could make a comparison. I still like California and came back to visit lifelong friends and family a few times a year, until covid hit.
I am looking forward to visiting it again, but as I said it isn’t perfect, no where is. People can make fun of the south and criticize it and in some cases I can’t argue, what they say can be true.
Fair enough, but I don't see anything very useful or caring coming from the folks who float in here just to thread crap.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:47 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
First I'm not sure what Trump has to do with this. Are you a Trump supporter or something? Why bring him up?

Anyway it is a California problem because it is California that is exporting these people to other states because the state itself is doing a terrible job at helping/keeping its middle class. It's not about making prices cheaper for the middle class but CA can do a better job of keeping companies from jumping ship. Take a Toyota moving its entire operations to Texas or a Nissan moving its entire operations to Nashville. Those thousands of jobs remaining in California would be a benefit to the state, even if without those two large operations the state still moves along fine. On the ground it has certainly hurt the communities these companies were in (Torrance specifically) meanwhile the places they moved to have enjoyed more middle class jobs directly and indirectly.

It's obvious you don't care for the middle class though. I've noticed many in or from California, despite their claimed voting patterns, their words/actions show they could care less. It's a damn shame because the authentic old school California wasnt like that.
It's really hard to tell where you're going with the rant. But the only reason I brought politicians up was that 'some' make promises to the gullible they can never keep. And its been proven time and time again historically speaking. Why? Because its exactly what people want to believe and hear. Give me something without having do anything more for it. All I have to do is vote for Mr. Wonderful. Within that ideology, there's a notion that you can simply 'vote' to change the principles of supply and demand economics in America. That is if everyone votes just right (like me), there will be the dawning of a 'new age' for the middle class in which magical things appear and homes become affordable for them again in California, Hawaii, Colorado, Washington, Oregon and every other state that has a middle class issue. Hint: its places with the most desirable land.

The biggest problem with this tunnel vision line of thinking is that it does not account for supply and demand economics. You will never change the fact that California has some of the most desirable land in the nation - pure and simple. So, demand will remain high no matter how much you want to believe you can simply 'vote' for cheaper homes or higher wages. Middle class jobs will pay a middle class wage, pure and simple. How do you propose that will ever change via some votes, especially knowing California has a diverse culture and demographic with many other priorities beyond some imagined perfect political agenda to make it affordable for the middle class again? What is your genius plan? How would that ever happen? I mean realistically beyond a rant as you exit the state and complain about all those who don't take it seriously according to your own metric? I really want to know.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-30-2021 at 10:58 PM..

Old 12-31-2021, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It's really hard to tell where you're going with the rant. But the only reason I brought politicians up was that 'some' make promises to the gullible they can never keep. And its been proven time and time again historically speaking. Why? Because its exactly what people want to believe and hear. Give me something without having do anything more for it. All I have to do is vote for Mr. Wonderful. Within that ideology, there's a notion that you can simply 'vote' to change the principles of supply and demand economics in America. That is if everyone votes just right (like me), there will be the dawning of a 'new age' for the middle class in which magical things appear and homes become affordable for them again in California, Hawaii, Colorado, Washington, Oregon and every other state that has a middle class issue. Hint: its places with the most desirable land.

The biggest problem with this tunnel vision line of thinking is that it does not account for supply and demand economics. You will never change the fact that California has some of the most desirable land in the nation - pure and simple. So, demand will remain high no matter how much you want to believe you can simply 'vote' for cheaper homes or higher wages. Middle class jobs will pay a middle class wage, pure and simple. How do you propose that will ever change via some votes, especially knowing California has a diverse culture and demographic with many other priorities beyond some imagined perfect political agenda to make it affordable for the middle class again? What is your genius plan? How would that ever happen? I mean realistically beyond a rant as you exit the state and complain about all those who don't take it seriously according to your own metric? I really want to know.

Derek
You brought up Trump as if I am a Trump supporter talking about promises "he made to me" purely because you didnt like what I was saying, even though it was not a negative against California and after I corrected others eho acted like rich folk were leaving in droves too. You made a wrong assumption there and now are backtracking on it.

Now you talk about not being sure where I'm going with my "rant" yet you post a bigger one which shows you didnt even care to read my post. I gave two examples of companies which if they remained in CA would have helped the middle class situation. CA needs to stop exporting these thousands of well paying jobs because the income gap in CA is among the worst in the nation.

At the end of the day none of what we say on this forum really matters. No one has the end all be all solution. But simply posting about an issue that is real is not hating on CA, but the sensitive responses back show that most know it's an issue.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:07 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm;62579831

[I

"No they are not. California is losing 100k plus domestic migrantz annually while gaining less than 30k international immigrants in the same year. No where near enough the offset the out-migration"
[/i].
You are right says this article:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...opulation-loss

This article says Cali is still losing population right now, even after the loss of the Congressional seat was announced. The negative trend is continuing, but slowing a bit.

The factors impacting overall population loss are:

net births & deaths

net domestic migration

net foreign immigration

One area I have not researched yet is the number of undocumented illegals are entering/year?

If 30,000 are coming legally, could another 30,000 be coming illegally?

The type people coming and leaving must also be factored into the equation. If you lose Elon Musk, & replace him with a poor uneducated immigrant, that is not good.

The Asian influx likely helps Cali's economy, since they bring wealth and are educated, so are net givers.

The Latino influx likely hurts Cali's economy since they are takers, due to being poor & uneducated.

Overall, Cali's population is still falling. Until the state can create a better living environment for more people, this outbound flow will continue. Doing nothing will harm Cali's economy, and political power.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:46 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
For years, Californians have flocked to states like Texas, Arizona and Nevada, some seeking politically redder pastures while others moving simply because they can’t afford the West Coast’s skyrocketing housing prices. But less recognized is the growing number of people leaving for the Southeast in general, and Middle Tennessee in particular.

Tennessee’s population has expanded dramatically over the last decade, driven largely by growth in Middle Tennessee. The state’s population grew by 8.9%, with 6.9 million residents in 2020, census data show, up from 6.3 million in 2010 — while California lost 182,083 people in 2020, marking the first population decline ever recorded in the state. Nashville-Davidson County saw a 14.2% population gain, adding about 89,200 people since 2010 and overtaking Memphis as the state’s largest city.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ving-nashville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California