Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 4,480 times

Advertisements

Which has better surfing: SD or LA? Considering consistency, variety of waves, crowds, etc. Also, does having Mexico close-by give SD the edge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 03:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdo View Post
Which has better surfing: SD or LA? Considering consistency, variety of waves, crowds, etc. Also, does having Mexico close-by give SD the edge?
How good of a fighter are you. The local surfers tend to be very territorial. That's how it is in SoCal.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:46 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
I'm from LA and also surfed SD and OC extensively growing up. As much as I like the South Bay waves, I like SD for a wider variety of surf spots and better options. The beach breaks also tend to have better shaped waves more often. They are all crowded. There's no real getting away from that.

Regarding LA spots north of Manhattan like Malibu/MaliZoo, Topanga, County Line, etc... They aren't that great and super impacted. Also, don't surf Palos Verdes (PV) unless you are prepared to be harassed by the locals depending on the spot. They are very territorial.

Mexico is fun to check out. I don't think the waves are necessarily better than most SD spots. Its just more of a novelty thing to do. You can hang out down there and eat fish tacos living la vida loca for a while.That can still be done while living in LA. Its not like you would do it weekly or anything like that.

The better part of living in LA is that you are closer to some of the best point breaks in SoCal including Rincon, Ventura and Pitas Point.

Derek

Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
I don't see the difference, but it seems like more serious surfers pick SD/Mexico

Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/...nia-surf-spots

Southern California is the capital of US surfing. From Santa Barbara to San Diego, within 200 miles (321 kilometers) only, you get the best surf spots in SoCal.
In a single summer week, you can experience the surf trip of a lifetime, exploring and discovering the iconic wave peaks, the legendary sand and rocky points, and the mythical beaches of sunny California.

There are hundreds of world-class beach breaks for all levels of surfing that can be ridden along the beautiful coastline highway. Although there are no secret spots to be unveiled, Southern California offers the realAloha surf spirit. Surf crowd is inevitable.

SoCal surfers are friendly, but you should respect locals as well as surf etiquette. Almost all Southern California surf spots are easily accessible and do not require tricky paddle-outs. Flawless, perfect waves will roll in every SoCal beach.

Los Angeles and San Diego are the biggest surf cities in Southern California and offer a large number of unforgettable surfing experiences. The Northern boundary of the Southern California map can be explored by surfing Rincon, near Santa Barbara, where you'll find a long, peeling right-hander that is often perfect during low tide winter sessions.

Malibu Beach is the ultimate SoCal surf spot. Laid back wave rides, warm sands, beautiful people and fast access to the Pacific Coast Highway makes of Malibu an icon of Southern California. Grab a longboard and hit the waves with a smile on your face.

On your way to Los Angeles, Zuma Beach, Topanga and Venice Beach should only be surfed if you're in the intermediate and advanced levels. Enjoy fast, short and consistent waves before you head out to sunny LA, where you only have an average of 35 days of rain per year.

In the heart of the Californian surf metropolis, you'll find two great urban surf spots. El Porto is an excellent peak for beginners, although winter swells may boost medium-sized waves for everyone. Hermosa Beach is an alternative beach break for all levels of surfing experience, as well as Manhattan Beach.

Seal Beach offers a long sand strip protected by jetties with the best swells coming from SW. A few miles before arriving at Huntington Beach, there's Bolsa Chica, a popular surfing and fishing beach break for classic riders.

Huntington Beach Surf City USA is the capital of surfing in California. The famous pier offers surfable waves on both sides of the pier, although the south peak is generally trendier. The city features some of the most consistent waves of the West Coast.

The Wedge, in Newport Beach, is a crazy SoCal surf rollercoaster. Best-known for its bodyboarding wave conditions, the spot offers an incredible backwash ride. The wave is hollow, deep and quickly breaks in the sand. It's an iconic must-surf Southern California spot.

The roots of modern surfing are inevitably linked with Salt Creek Beach, in Dana Point. In the late 1950s and 1960s, California surfers would show off their new boards and skills in these infamous and powerful left-handers. Prepare to grab the rail.

On your way to Trestles, check T-Street, in San Clemente. It's a fun city surf spot surrounded by palm trees. San Onofre State Beach is not far away and showcases the world-famous, A-frame, cobblestone break of Trestles.

Lower Trestles is a SoCal surf classic. Near San Clemente, the several peaks of Trestles are the ideal region to relax and enjoy the sights. Offshore winds produce perfect, endless surf lines for shortboard and longboard adventures. A friendly rocky bottom invites you to feel the spirit of surfing in California.

Drive through the San Diego Freeway, with the Pacific Ocean on your right, and arrive at Oceanside Pier, another timeless SoCal surf center. Then, near Encinitas, discover Cardiff Reef Beach and Blacks Beach. The latter frequently delivers amazing barrels in its three-peak wave formula.

The surf trip through the best surf spots in Southern California ends in the La Jolla shores. Park your surf wagon at Scripps Beach and enjoy waves for all levels of experience. SoCal means surfing.

Get a quality California surf travel guide, check the Wave Height Forecast for Southern California and enjoy life.

Also, take a look at the best beaches for surfing in Los Angeles, and explore the best surf spots in Northern California.

The best Southern California Surf Spots | Ideal Swell and Wind Conditions

Rincon, Santa Barbara
Swell: W, WSW, and WNW @ 15s | Wind: NE

Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles
Swell: Any Direction @ 16s+ | Wind: E, SE

Malibu, Los Angeles
Swell: S, SW, WSW @ 16s+ | Wind: NW

Zuma Beach, Los Angeles
Swell: S, SW, W @ 16s+ | Wind: E

Topanga Beach, Los Angeles
Swell: SSW, SW, WSW, W @ 16s+ | Wind: Light E

Venice Beach, Los Angeles
Swell: SSW, SW, WSW, W @ 12-16s | Wind: E

El Porto, Los Angeles
Swell: SW, WSW, W, WNW @ 16s+ | Wind: E, SE

Hermosa Beach, Los Angeles
Swell: Any Direction @ 16s+ | Wind: E, SE

Seal Beach, Seal Beach
Swell: SSE, S, WSW; W @ 16s+ | Wind: Glassy, E, NE

Huntington Pier, Huntington Beach
Swell: SSE, S, SW @ 16s+ | Wind: NE

The Wedge, Newport Beach
Swell: S, SW @ 16s+ | Wind: E, NE

Salt Creek Beach, Dana Point
Swell: S, SW, W, WNW @ 16s+ | Wind: E, SE, S

Lower Trestles, San Clemente
Swell: S, SW @ 16s+ | Wind: E, NE

T-Street, San Clemente
Swell: WNW, W, SW @ 16s+ | Wind: E

Oceanside Pier, Oceanside
Swell: SSW, SW, W, WNW @ 16s+ | Wind: E, NE

Cardiff Reef, San Diego
Swell: NW, W @ 12-16s+ | Wind: Glassy, E

Blacks Beach, San Diego
Swell: W, NW, SW @ 16s+ | Wind: E, SE

Scripps Beach, San Diego
Swell: W, NW, SW @ 10-16s+ | Wind: E, SE

Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
L.A. has more options in terms of places to surf, but San Diego has a more comprehensive surfing culture.

I'd say San Diego.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/...nia-surf-spots

The surf trip through the best surf spots in Southern California ends in the La Jolla shores. Park your surf wagon at Scripps Beach and enjoy waves for all levels of experience. SoCal means surfing.

Why aren't Pacific Beach and Mission Beach included?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:34 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdo View Post
Why aren't Pacific Beach and Mission Beach included?
I wouldn't hold too much stock in online lists like that. Some of the spots mentioned are mediocre with many better ones left out. And quite frankly, there are simply too many to include in a short list like that. If you are unfamiliar with SoCal surf spots, I would pick up a book on the subject with much more detail about the breaks. There are quite a few available.

A lot depends on what you like in terms of the surf community as well if you are going to be living there. You'll find good waves in either location generally speaking. More important practical things to consider are:

1. How close to the beach will you live in either location? That can make the biggest difference if you plan to go often - become a regular face in the water. Both have terrible traffic depending on where you live in relation to the surf. So the closer the better.

2. Where will you be working and/or going to school? Have you thought about any of this yet or are you just *generally* asking a hypothetical question?

3. What level of surfing ability are you? This will better determine where you will most likely go and are most comfortable in the water. Example: the article said the Wedge is a good surf spot. That's a joke for most surfers for many reasons but mostly because its a crazy wave that only breaks on more extreme south swells (its flat most of the year) and has more bodyboarders and body surfers that want to brave the nutty ride.

4. What are your thoughts on big, regular crowds with well defined pecking orders vs. 'somewhat' less crowded, more spread out areas? (e.g. famous spots vs. lower key beach breaks, etc...).

5. Do you know anyone in either location? Have you visited either location?

Derek

Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 PM

337 posts, read 276,372 times
I would go with San Diego based on what you want. Also IMO the surfers in San Diego are a lot less territorial than the ones in LA.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
1. How close to the beach will you live in either location? That can make the biggest difference if you plan to go often - become a regular face in the water. Both have terrible traffic depending on where you live in relation to the surf. So the closer the better.

2. Where will you be working and/or going to school? Have you thought about any of this yet or are you just *generally* asking a hypothetical question?

3. What level of surfing ability are you? This will better determine where you will most likely go and are most comfortable in the water. Example: the article said the Wedge is a good surf spot. That's a joke for most surfers for many reasons but mostly because its a crazy wave that only breaks on more extreme south swells (its flat most of the year) and has more bodyboarders and body surfers that want to brave the nutty ride.

4. What are your thoughts on big, regular crowds with well defined pecking orders vs. 'somewhat' less crowded, more spread out areas? (e.g. famous spots vs. lower key beach breaks, etc...).

5. Do you know anyone in either location? Have you visited either location?
1. As close to the beach as possible. I know it gets expensive so I am planning on trying to find roommates (using Craigslist I guess, unless you'd have any other suggestions)

2. I am graduating college next May, and the company I intern for has two locations in SD (Serra Mesa and Carmel Mountain Ranch) as well as locations in Redondo / El Segundo. There is a better chance I can work in one of the SD locations, so I've been pushing for that, but if LA is significantly better I could try for that

3. I'd say intermediate. I surf on the East coast many weekends throughout spring, summer, and fall whenever we get swell

4. As a transplant I'd rather have a low key beach break, but I'd also want to try to pick off insiders at more famous spots to try them out

5. Don't know anyone and haven't visited since I was young, so I definitely want to live somewhere that I can meet people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California