Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times

Advertisements

But California? (Meaning you do these 1-2 times a week, not once every 6 months and the place must have jobs).

Florida is flat.

Oregon's water requires a 12 ply wet suit, and the weather will stop you from going outdoors, Washington is the same.

Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah, all lack the ocean.

North Carolina?
Virginia?
Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
It depends on the individual. Some people ride their bikes all year round rain or shine. Here in Boston there are die-hards that ride in snow storms. Not many but a few.

You can break up your activities by season as well. Surf in the spring and summer, hike all year round, biking, fishing and kayaking in lakes and rivers. Camping in all seasons too. Oregon is a good state for diversity in regard to outdoor activities, as well as Arizona, New Mexico and Texas all year round.

Texas has the gulf but I'm not sure how good it is for surfing. NC is good for surfing but you may have to live a good distance from the ocean to find jobs. Perhaps Wilmington NC is worth a look.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Biking in the snow is fun, but are we talking City Biking or Mountain Biking in the snow? Boston is awesome BTW, however, I think the weather would hinder much of my activity.

Wilmington NC...I have been there pretty much a college town with no real jobs.

I guess I could buy 2 homes; 1 in Colorado and 1 in Florida and be a snowbird. But is that life more advantageous than just living in CA where we have both at our fingertips?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:37 AM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
But California? (Meaning you do these 1-2 times a week, not once every 6 months and the place must have jobs).

Florida is flat.

Oregon's water requires a 12 ply wet suit, and the weather will stop you from going outdoors, Washington is the same.

Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah, all lack the ocean.

North Carolina?
Virginia?
Texas?
Yep, if you include decent jobs then the closest would probably be Virginia and North Carolina. We have some friends out visiting from Virginia right now with their 4 children. And they all love the beach and go as often as they can on the East Coast. But like the wife says 'comparing the beaches and surfing waves with the West Coast is like comparing hamburger to a good steak.' However their family is there so they prefer to live on the East Coast. Yet when it comes to vacations they head West.

If you are used to year round activities CA is hard to beat. If you live somewhere with colder temps and snow then you definately have to do activities around the seasons. Our whole family loves to hike in the mtns. for example. But while living in CO we could only do this in the summer months when the lakes aren't frozen and the trails covered in 5+ feet of snow. Winter starts early and Spring comes late to the Rockies. And it is not just the Winter but it is the cold and wind. Even in the Fall RMNP can go way below freezing. My family did a couple cold Fall hikes with me in RMNP. And after that I was on my own.

RMNP in September - it is colder than looks!

For those who say just put on a jacket I can only laugh. After traveling throughout the Rocky Mtns. during every season and doing snow hiking and photography I would say that only maybe 10% of the ppl who go out during Summer months get out during the snow season. When it is snow season the majority of ppl tend to hibernate. The average families cannot afford to be hitting the slopes every weekend in CO. It is just too darn expensive (gas, food, lift ticket and possible lodging).

So what to all these ppl do during snow season? Go to work, shopping, the gym and some brisk walks around town. Here was a Winter hike I did in RMNP where I saw no one on the trail all day (beautiful for sure, but cold and empty):

Derek

Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer
Yet when it comes to vacations they head West.
That's what I see too. Excluding the family reasons, is vacationing to California, really that much more cost efficient than just living here?

I see a 2 week vacation a year costing what 3-6 grand for a family to come from Virginia to California and go hiking, biking...etc. Then they only get 2 weeks to enjoy what they really love, then it is back to the daily grind.

The value of California becomes quite obvious in this scenario.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM

30 posts, read 184,006 times
The correct answer is HAWAII.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjacket View Post
The correct answer is HAWAII.
I was thinking that as well. Although solid Job opportunities may be an issue depending on one's profession. And some do get Island fever when living there. Even Paradise has issues or more acturately pros/cons like anywhere. (He says while listening to Hawaiian Music)

Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM

Hawaii, not sure why that escaped me...

I have lived on an island before (Diego Garcia in the Navy). I did love it, not sure the wife could do it, but you have sparked my interest. Mach50 in "Paradise" does have a nice ring to it.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I was thinking that as well. Although solid Job opportunities may be an issue depending on one's profession. And some do get Island fever when living there. Even Paradise has issues or more acturately pros/cons like anywhere. (He says while listening to Hawaiian Music)

I had a friend who moved to Hawaii to experience 'Paradise', which was funny considering she came from a beautiful part of California (Pismo Beach). She came back less than 2 years later because the natives are very friendly to tourists, but when they realize you moved there, they're not so nice anymore. She never got used to the cold shoulders.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I had a friend who moved to Hawaii to experience 'Paradise', which was funny considering she came from a beautiful part of California (Pismo Beach). She came back less than 2 years later because the natives are very friendly to tourists, but when they realize you moved there, they're not so nice anymore. She never got used to the cold shoulders.
What race was she, white? Hrmm we already deal with that here in California being a Mexican-American family, so how much worse can it be?

Even so, that is concerning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California