Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 09:00 PM

24 posts, read 120,542 times

Advertisements

If you don't think gentrification has hit everywhere in Fresno already, and painfully, you obviously haven't tried renting lately. Finding a 1-bedroom apartment under $1200/mo or even $1500 is practically impossible. Rent is on par with or higher than Austin TX where I moved from. I was last in Fresno in 2012 when I lived in Visalia, and it also looks a lot better now with more development and much better bus system, which is not a bad thing unlike the unaffordable housing.

Downtown doesn't have to be popping for gentrification to have happened. Neither San Jose nor Los Angeles has particularly active downtowns, but they're still unaffordable and displacing people with wealthier people. That's what gentrification is. I'm confused by the positive use of the term gentrification here. Gentrification is not something to be desired, because it means high prices and displacement. I think y'all mean something more like beautification or development, which may also be part of gentrification but are more of the positive side. Gentrification is already happening when prices are going up and people are having to leave. Y'all need to make sure High Speed Rail if it happens has strong anti-displacement provisions and doesn't make Fresno totally unaffordable to Bay Area levels, because the trend is unmistakably in that direction. It's true Fresno doesn't have much high-paying industry on its own, but if it becomes easy to work in the Bay Area from Fresno, that doesn't matter to prices.

There needs to be a lot of housing developed to keep demand from outpacing supply -- find a way to get more of the positives of good-looking, well-paying residential and business development, as well as more diversity of income of people, in the change to the character of an area, but without the negatives of massive displacement and unaffordability. Equitable development, not gentrification.

Last edited by jmitchell; 12-05-2021 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 10:05 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
If you don't think gentrification has hit everywhere in Fresno already, and painfully, you obviously haven't tried renting lately. Finding a 1-bedroom apartment under $1200/mo or even $1500 is practically impossible. Rent is on par with or higher than Austin TX where I moved from. I was last in Fresno in 2012 when I lived in Visalia, and it also looks a lot better now with more development and much better bus system, which is not a bad thing unlike the unaffordable housing.

Downtown doesn't have to be popping for gentrification to have happened. Neither San Jose nor Los Angeles has particularly active downtowns, but they're still unaffordable and displacing people with wealthier people. That's what gentrification is. I'm confused by the positive use of the term gentrification here. Gentrification is not something to be desired, because it means high prices and displacement. I think y'all mean something more like beautification or development, which may also be part of gentrification but are more of the positive side. Gentrification is already happening when prices are going up and people are having to leave. Y'all need to make sure High Speed Rail if it happens has strong anti-displacement provisions and doesn't make Fresno totally unaffordable to Bay Area levels, because the trend is unmistakably in that direction. It's true Fresno doesn't have much high-paying industry on its own, but if it becomes easy to work in the Bay Area from Fresno, that doesn't matter to prices.

There needs to be a lot of housing developed to keep demand from outpacing supply -- find a way to get more of the positives of good-looking, well-paying residential and business development, as well as more diversity of income of people, in the change to the character of an area, but without the negatives of massive displacement and unaffordability. Equitable development, not gentrification.
fresno went up IMO because the entire region did. Thanks to remote work it has allowed many to consider Fresno. Many refuse to leave CA and fresno was the next big option for a big city that was affordable and still in CA since Sacramento to many has become pricey.

I still think downtown has to be poppin to move Fresno to the next level. Downtown Fresno seems miserable more often than not. It's why its one of the less desirable areas when talking about Fresno. San Jose's downtown sucks compared to SF sure, but it has a lot more going on than Fresno's. It has a top tier level pro team in the Sharks which also serves as concert venue. It brings money and traffic to the downtown core to stimulate the economy there. It also has many white collar jobs in downtown SJ which has allowed nice neighborhoods to spur up around downtown SJ--similar to downtown Sacramento. Can't say the same for Downtown fresno where the neighborhoods around downtown fresno are not good at all. And why those with money in fresno stay away and buy and spend their money north. There is little to no reason for them to go downtown. Main concert venue is Save Mart center which is far away. Going back to downtown Sac, it has attractions, white collar jobs and cool stuff THERE in downtown. Again top tier level pro team in the kings, which helped bring in the DOCO surround with nice stores, old sac is there, those cool trendy hip neighborhoods. The stigma and reputation of downtown Fresno has become so bad, the city of 500,000 doesnt seem to venture there much, add in neighboring clovis of its 150,000 people and there is clearly an issue on why downtown fresno is not booming. Maybe one day they'll get the formula right. But as long as developers keep getting their way with city/county officials and so much land is still available in already positive reputation areas such as north fresno and clovis, middle class and higher folks wont want to buy and live in and around downtown. Unless tech company and other white collar jobs sprout in downtown and housing gets build and high income earners start to live there, who knows how long it will take over there

Old 12-06-2021, 01:35 AM

24 posts, read 120,542 times
It's not such a bad thing for downtown Fresno to be more affordable, if that even holds. It looks fine, with good transit there as well as in other parts of the city,. It's not bad. It doesn't feel unsafe. It just doesn't have a lot of nightlife. I do think there should be more restaurants there. I agree there's less there than downtown San Jose. But busy nightlife might even mean more crime, going by Sixth Street in Austin. People don't have to be going to a place designated as downtown IMO as long as they're going somewhere in Fresno.

Last edited by jmitchell; 12-06-2021 at 02:04 AM..

Old 12-22-2021, 04:24 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Per redfin

340k median price for bako
350k for Fresno
465k for Sacramento

The slow period for RE has arrived
I think you'll see prices going up around February

A yemeni coffee shop has opened in Fresno. It has decent reviews. Signs are pointing for a large influx of mid east/south Asians arriving to the valley. I'm seeing more immigrants and their amenities every year. Fresno might even get a cricket complex in the near future.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=maZdAbZbokM

I should have another update in a few days.

Edit: CA county real estate info for November
Kings county and Tulare are catching up to Bakersfield. Interesting.
Sacramento county is still increasing, somehow.

https://www.news-journal.com/califor...8cb51adf6.html

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 12-22-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-22-2021, 06:53 PM

Fresno just got a Columbia retail store. This is the retail store instead of the typical outlet that you see in central California, so the quality of goods will be a little higher. It's at fig garden village. Go check it out if you're over there.

Visalia is getting a soccer complex/brewery combo(1852 brewery). Looks to be a nice addition to Visalia. I'm sure Fresno will copy it if it's a success.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 12-22-2021 at 07:01 PM..

Old 12-25-2021, 02:47 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Per redfin

340k median price for bako
350k for Fresno
465k for Sacramento

The slow period for RE has arrived
I think you'll see prices going up around February

A yemeni coffee shop has opened in Fresno. It has decent reviews. Signs are pointing for a large influx of mid east/south Asians arriving to the valley. I'm seeing more immigrants and their amenities every year. Fresno might even get a cricket complex in the near future.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=maZdAbZbokM

I should have another update in a few days.

Edit: CA county real estate info for November
Kings county and Tulare are catching up to Bakersfield. Interesting.
Sacramento county is still increasing, somehow.

https://www.news-journal.com/califor...8cb51adf6.html

I traveled extensively to Fresno on business trips about a decade ago. My assessment was that the largest immigrant groups are Mexicans, medium sized populations of Armenians, Hmongs, Filipinos, and Punjabi Sikhs, some Northern Indian Hindus too, and a small but growing Yemeni community. Which of these groups are most overrepresented among newer immigrants and which are declining?

Old 12-25-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I traveled extensively to Fresno on business trips about a decade ago. My assessment was that the largest immigrant groups are Mexicans, medium sized populations of Armenians, Hmongs, Filipinos, and Punjabi Sikhs, some Northern Indian Hindus too, and a small but growing Yemeni community. Which of these groups are most overrepresented among newer immigrants and which are declining?
Mexican nationals are declining. Automation is taking their jobs away, and the cost has become prohibitive to many. A lot are going to the southeast now. Some are even going back home to live like kings. African Americans are moving away, too.

There's sizable amounts of eastern euros(Ukraine/serbians), Greeks, and lebanese as well. A ton of Portuguese.

New migrants = more midwestern whites, central Americans(Salvador/Guatemala), more Indians, and syrians.
Afghanis are set to start arriving soon.
Syrians were coming over in droves before trump came in. I've met a few Syrian families In the last decade(met only one yemeni family). They all seemed happy with the move. Hopefully, they start bringing more syrians over soon. Most have transitioned well.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:22 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Mexican nationals are declining. Automation is taking their jobs away, and the cost has become prohibitive to many. A lot are going to the southeast now. Some are even going back home to live like kings. African Americans are moving away, too.

There's sizable amounts of eastern euros(Ukraine/serbians), Greeks, and lebanese as well. A ton of Portuguese.

New migrants = more midwestern whites, central Americans(Salvador/Guatemala), more Indians, and syrians.
Afghanis are set to start arriving soon.
Syrians were coming over in droves before trump came in. I've met a few Syrian families In the last decade(met only one yemeni family). They all seemed happy with the move. Hopefully, they start bringing more syrians over soon. Most have transitioned well.

I did not know that Midwesterners were moving to California. My impression was that middle class Whites were leaving California in droves.

Most Syrians who I've met in California were Christians from the Ellis Island era but did not know there were a lot of recent immigrants. A lot of Arabs in Orange County and San Diego.

Indians in Fresno tend to be Sikh but not sure if Fresno will attract more Indians from the Silicon Valley.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I did not know that Midwesterners were moving to California. My impression was that middle class Whites were leaving California in droves.

Most Syrians who I've met in California were Christians from the Ellis Island era but did not know there were a lot of recent immigrants. A lot of Arabs in Orange County and San Diego.

Indians in Fresno tend to be Sikh but not sure if Fresno will attract more Indians from the Silicon Valley.
Midwesterners are still looking for affordable living outside of the Midwest. Fresno and other valley towns fit the bill. Techy midwesterners probably won't give fresno much of a look, but middle class midwesterners still will.

There's a lot of Sikhs in medicine, but I don't think theres many in tech. I think Fresno will start attracting more tech Indians because of the hsr+telework. Indians predilection for warm weather/saving money/mountains will bring them to the valley. from north central Fresno/Madera suburb, you can get to the Yosemite valley in under two hours for most of the year. Speed times should improve after they expand the 41 freeway.

Syrians came in droves during Obamas last term. They were refugees who were living in camps. Fresno provides them with an active Muslim community, and a similar climate to home(near coastal Syria=San Jose/Gilroy weather - inland Syria = Fresno weather but more humid).

Fresno housing market was #26 in growth for large markets in 2021. Still have room for growth.

North Fresno from the other day

Old 01-07-2022, 05:33 AM

CARB says that trucks are to blame for “70 percent of the smog-causing pollution and 80 percent of carcinogenic diesel soot even though they number only 2 million among the 30 million registered vehicles in the state.”

Visalia keeps adding warehouses cause it apparently wants to be the inland empire north. Another example of foolish republican politicians ruining everything they touch. Article about Visalia below.

So much potential down there and it's being wasted on warehouses and megachurches. I get hanford and Chowchilla adding that stuff, but Visalia should have some standards.

https://thebusinessjournal.com/meet-...e-for-visalia/

Work from home article about Fresno

https://gvwire.com/2021/12/13/fresno...oastal-cities/

Bakersfield housing prices have caught up to Fresno per redfin. Last time that happened was probably around 2006. I wonder if all that positive press Bakersfield has gotten from big media is the reason for this surge in prices. Hah, I'm just semi-joking.

But Here's a recent nytimes articles on bako

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/11/u...kersfield.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California