Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 02:30 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times

Advertisements

Of course. Never say never. I guess anything is theoretically possible.

But PROBABLE is another story. And I would put the odds of CA breaking up/seceding somewhere between a random gal hitting me up here on CD and we hook up and Boeing selling a thousand new 747's by the end of the year.

Not impossible. Just very, very, very, very unlikely.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:36 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
This is a very interesting excerpt from another recent Op-Ed in the San Jose Mercury News:

1. David French wrote a book about secession, he is a staunch supporter of the Union who wants us to stay together.

Here is the link to the article: https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/...exit-scenario/

excerpt:
Quote:
The scenario packs a special power because French is a careful, rigorous thinker who desperately wants the United States to remain united. A lawyer, military veteran, and champion of socially conservative causes, he is also loyal to the American tradition of pluralism: he broke early and decisively from allies to oppose President Trump and harsh partisanship. His book is a fair-minded examination of how Americans, across not just the political spectrum but also the nation’s geography, have started to loathe those with whom they disagree.

French argues that this negative polarization is so extreme that the country may well split apart. To demonstrate how real the threat is, he offers two all-too-possible scenarios — a Texas departure rooted in abortion politics, and a guns-rights clash in California.

The Calexit scenario is based on Californians’ fears of minority, illegitimate rule because of problems with the Senate, Electoral College, and Supreme Court.

In French’s Calexit scenario, Republicans eliminate the Senate filibuster to give their president extraordinary powers to subdue California. The Supreme Court is stacked with conservatives because Republicans had blocked previous appointments by Democratic presidents. Californians see the president as illegitimate because he lost the popular vote in an election marked by voter suppression.

When California’s governor declares her independence referendum, she asks the president to respect the results of the vote. The Republican commander-in-chief, recognizing that California’s departure will ensure a conservative-dominated America, seeks to encourage Californians to leave the Union. He pursues a conservative that is anathema to California, and indicates that if Californians vote to remain in the Union, the state will be put under military rule.
And good luck with trying to implement military rule in this state.

anyhow, scary stuff.

1. Do enough people in red states in the West and South support the idea of California secession? I say Yes. They are really stupid about it but I say Yes they would support a California secession.

2. I was in Arizona, Texas and Utah this summer and the attitude towards just the fact that Im from California spurred really vicious reactions--even at church. I think Donald Trump really made hatred and loss of common concern for each other acceptable, if not desirable, to his supporters and republicans in general.

3. The funny part is, they want California to leave, but on their terms and their terms alone, and we're supposed to pay them back--even though California pays $500B a year to DC in federal taxes, and contributes more to the nation as a whole than any other state, by far.

Oh, and they dont want us to be happy if we leave. LOL.

It's just so bizarre. They should just admit that what they really want is for us to be dead.

Old 12-01-2021, 05:26 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
So this is just a thinly veiled political diatribe again. Ok.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:11 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is a very interesting excerpt from another recent Op-Ed in the San Jose Mercury News:

1. David French wrote a book about secession, he is a staunch supporter of the Union who wants us to stay together.

Here is the link to the article: https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/08/...exit-scenario/

excerpt:

And good luck with trying to implement military rule in this state.

anyhow, scary stuff.

1. Do enough people in red states in the West and South support the idea of California secession? I say Yes. They are really stupid about it but I say Yes they would support a California secession.

2. I was in Arizona, Texas and Utah this summer and the attitude towards just the fact that Im from California spurred really vicious reactions--even at church. I think Donald Trump really made hatred and loss of common concern for each other acceptable, if not desirable, to his supporters and republicans in general.

3. The funny part is, they want California to leave, but on their terms and their terms alone, and we're supposed to pay them back--even though California pays $500B a year to DC in federal taxes, and contributes more to the nation as a whole than any other state, by far.

Oh, and they dont want us to be happy if we leave. LOL.

It's just so bizarre. They should just admit that what they really want is for us to be dead.
Interesting rant. I was in all of those States this year too and didn't catch that at all. Were you spouting politics perhaps?

Old 12-01-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Interesting rant. I was in all of those States this year too and didn't catch that at all. Were you spouting politics perhaps?
Not a lick of politics or anything remotely related--I dont do that ever when I travel. I certainly hope my experiences were the exception.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Not a lick of politics or anything remotely related--I dont do that ever when I travel. I certainly hope my experiences were the exception.
The South has some of the nicest, most well mannered people I've ever met. This coming from a minority.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:27 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, those checkpoints are not on all the highway entrances to CA. Have you ever driven back from OR? I don't recall seeing anything like that on 5, nor, I assume, on 101. I don't think there is from Reno into the north part of the state, either. Think about it; all those people vacationing at Tahoe who drop into Reno for a little gambling fun in the evening would have to go through checkpoints to return to their rentals on the CA side? That would be a lot of traffic in the summers. It's not practical. If I'm wrong about this, feel free to correct me.

Besides, CA can't afford to set up Customs and Immigration points at all the airports, in addition to all the highway entries. They can't afford any more state pensions and worker benefits! lol. From what I read here, they can't even afford to do a decent job of staffing the DMV's, in spite of supposedly being a "wealthy" state.

Dream on.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-02-2021 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-02-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, those checkpoints are not on all the highway entrances to CA. Have you ever driven back from OR? There's nothing like that on 5, nor, I assume, on 101. I don't think there is from Reno into the north part of the state, either. Think about it; all those people vacationing at Tahoe who drop into Reno for a little gambling fun in the evening would have to go through checkpoints to return to their rentals on the CA side? That would be a lot of traffic in the summers. It's not practical.
Just about every highway into CA has a checkpoint already.

Quote:
Besides, CA can't afford to set up Customs and Immigration points at all the airports, in addition to all the highway entries.
Yes the state could afford it. We already have customs and immigration at every major airport.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The South has some of the nicest, most well mannered people I've ever met. This coming from a minority.
Yes my usual experience has been just as you said, but I dont think its a regional thing as much as it is political and generational. I havent lost hope tho. Millenials and GenZers everywhere seem way more open minded than preceding generations such as mine.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Just about every highway into CA has a checkpoint already.

Yes the state could afford it. We already have customs and immigration at every major airport.
What that doesn't show is the 50 or so other roads that come into/out of California. Anyone that is actually smuggling and gets caught is really stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies