Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 09:59 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Either way, concern about world population is not a valid reason for resisting urban density.

My point wasn't really that. It was that population is the stumbling block to meaningful change. You can fill up city after city with high density living, but runaway human growth will still be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Many of the older folks won't be alive by the time any future policies get enacted. As the saying goes, out of sight, out of mind. Of course, they also don't think through the implications that their wasteful lifestyles will have on the well-being of their grandchildren.

Laughed at "wasteful lifestyles".
My generation is the anti-consumerism one or did you forget?

Old 12-21-2021, 10:04 AM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
My point wasn't really that. It was that population is the stumbling block to meaningful change. You can fill up city after city with high density living, but runaway human growth will still be there.
And... we've come full circle back to my point. Having those people live in dense cities is far better for the climate than sprawling all over the place. If California is serious about climate change, the number one thing it should do is build high density housing in its cities.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
And... we've come full circle back to my point. Having those people live in dense cities is far better for the climate than sprawling all over the place. If California is serious about climate change, the number one thing it should do is build high density housing in its cities.

Rearranging the existing furniture in your house doesn't make your house bigger. There's a finite number of resources on the planet. People need food, water and power to go along with shelter (high-density or not) from the elements. An enormous amount of energy goes into providing those things no matter where you stack the bulk of humans.

The only way to affect the impact of those necessities, is to actually decrease the necessity. And the only way to do that, is to have less mouths to feed, etc.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:39 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
The speed a vehicle travels at isn't necessarily proportionate to the amount of work its IC engine is doing, hence the output of all the exhaust. It doesn't work that way. You don't need any course in physics to understand that concept.
The work an ICE does is proportionate to speed, at least at steady state travel. Wind resistance goes up as the cube of speed, so if you go twice as fast, there is 8 times as much wind resistance. That means the engine has to work harder.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:57 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
[quote=WRM20;62548790]The work an ICE does is proportionate to speed, at least at steady state travel. Wind resistance goes up as the cube of speed, so if you go twice as fast, there is 8 times as much wind resistance. That means the engine has to work harder.[/QUOTE]

That depends on many things. Shape of the car, size of the car, the tries being used, the air pressure in the tires, the maximum Torque and H.P. point and even the engine size.

I had a V8 engine larger than my current 4cyl and it was getting within 2 miles per gallon to the 4cyl and was older and had more miles and both were easily @25 miles per gallon at 70MPH, and at 55 virtually the same.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The work an ICE does is proportionate to speed, at least at steady state travel. Wind resistance goes up as the cube of speed, so if you go twice as fast, there is 8 times as much wind resistance. That means the engine has to work harder.

Let's review what I said especially since I never brought up drag and/or aerodynamics.
The claim in the original post is that "55 MPH speed limits on highways, 45 MPH speed limits on urban freeways. Europeans are doing it. Reduces CO2 emissions by 10%!!! OVERNIGHT". I called that dubious for a variety of reasons. I was then told to basically go "look it up" and prove it myself instead of being pointed to substantiation.

As for drag/aerodynamic force, not all cars are equal (which I already said). I'm pretty sure a cube van is going to be more affected by drag than a Lambo at any speed. The math isn't the issue here. Also, as I pointed out, things like gearing matters and modern vehicles are set up to be on the threshold of their powerband at existing freeway speeds. If a vehicle no longer can operate in its top gear and be within that range, it's going to perform worse by either being bogged down or having to shift to a lower gear and be working harder both of which would defeat the point. Simply reducing the arbitrary limits to 45mph doesn't mean that all vehicles will suddenly emit 10% less emission volume and certainly not "overnight" (in all-caps).

The point is, there's a lot more to this than simplistic reductions of the speed limit which is why the OP expects me to go find the information myself.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
That depends on many things.

Not to mention drag is negligible under low freeway speeds unless you drive a brick.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:32 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
[quote=Racer46;62548963]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The work an ICE does is proportionate to speed, at least at steady state travel. Wind resistance goes up as the cube of speed, so if you go twice as fast, there is 8 times as much wind resistance. That means the engine has to work harder.[/QUOTE]

That depends on many things. Shape of the car, size of the car, the tries being used, the air pressure in the tires, the maximum Torque and H.P. point and even the engine size.

I had a V8 engine larger than my current 4cyl and it was getting within 2 miles per gallon to the 4cyl and was older and had more miles and both were easily @25 miles per gallon at 70MPH, and at 55 virtually the same.
No, it doesn't. At steady state travel, wind resistance varies as the cube of the change in speed. You can't compare your V8 to your I4. Different engines. However, the wind resistance cube rule still applies. Each engine will work harder as speed increases.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:39 PM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:
Rearranging the existing furniture in your house doesn't make your house bigger. There's a finite number of resources on the planet. People need food, water and power to go along with shelter (high-density or not) from the elements. An enormous amount of energy goes into providing those things no matter where you stack the bulk of humans.

The only way to affect the impact of those necessities, is to actually decrease the necessity. And the only way to do that, is to have less mouths to feed, etc.
So ... other than world population, there isn't really anything we can do so no use trying. Got it That's certainly one way to not take climate change seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California