Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 04:27 PM

113 posts, read 54,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figure it'll likely be a California-specific answer. So hopefully here is best!

I have a Siberian Husky who AFAIK hasn't ever seen snow - I rescued him last year, and he was found stray in the Bakersfield area. I was going to take him on a trip to Tahoe next week, since I have 10 days off work, but now I'm thinking about going to visit my family in Las Vegas instead. I have plenty of time to take a 1-2 day detour, so where is a fun spot between here (I'm near Santa Cruz) and there with snow for him to play in safely? I can rent an AirBnB or just get a dog-friendly hotel room. Cost isn't a factor. Ideas? I'm willing to detour a few hours in either direction, but don't want to get TOO far off track.

Oh, and I have an AWD vehicle/Subaru Crosstrek. I'm also quite experienced in snow driving, since I've lived in snowy regions (including So Lake Tahoe) for a chunk of my life. I'll bring chains in case it's really bad, though.
Have a good trip! I am planning to drive from Bay Area to Las Vegas on Sat morning. Pls let me know if you find any flood road. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 09:30 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead, Wrightwood, all near San Bernardino must have plenty of snow now. Big Bear is in San Bernardino NF, Google that for maps of trails, etc. I grew up in desert near there & this was always the mountain escape. They are basically a side trip off I-15 on the way to Vegas.

These would be off your route but there is also Palomar Mtn. SP and the Laguna Mts., both in San Diego County.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
There is a town on the north side of the grape vine .
I think it is called Landcaster.
I’ve been in one of the cabins there during snow.
Pretty nice area.
Lancaster is in the Mojave Desert.

Old 01-13-2023, 10:45 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Lancaster is in the Mojave Desert.
IDK, maybe he was thinking of Tehachapi? I was going to suggest that; it's sure to have snow right now. Might be a good place to stop for lunch. Or it might have too much snow; best to check weather reports before planning to stop to play in the snow. It could be coming down pretty heavily there. Current forecast: snow most days through Tuesday, then sun, or partly sunny.
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...de06c70640582f

Old 01-13-2023, 11:05 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
After you get to Las Vegas, check out Mt. Charleston, it's about a 45-minute drive to the ski/snow board area (yeah, I know, "What, skiing in Las Vegas!!!"). Just checked and the ski area has 21 inches of new snow right now.

Old 01-13-2023, 11:09 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I appreciate your concern, Ruth, but I’m in the worst of the floods up here - literally couldn’t leave my house for a few days, and was without power for 7 days total. So it’s probably safer anywhere else but here! lol

Good suggestion to check the maps beforehand, but my trip is already scheduled/cleared and paid for with no refund; booked an AirBNB in Vegas from Mon-Thurs. And as of right now the route looks clear. I usually go down through Salinas, then cut across at Paso Robles.

Oh, and yes. I do know how to care for my Husky. He’s a very happy boy, even though I’m not able-bodied enough to run or bike with him… he still gets plenty of exercise, and goes to the park every night for a good off-leash run. Just thought it would be fun to show him the snow, since he’s a northern breed who’s never seen it before. I know he’ll have a blast. :-)
I once lived north of Boulder Creek just off of 9, River Dr, right on a 90 degree bend in the San Lorenzo, the house was just 15' above summer water level....wonder if the house is still there after the recent rains...How high did it get in BC ? Any pics ?

Old 01-13-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I once lived north of Boulder Creek just off of 9, River Dr, right on a 90 degree bend in the San Lorenzo, the house was just 15' above summer water level....wonder if the house is still there after the recent rains...How high did it get in BC ? Any pics ?
I believe the OP is in a different part of the mts.: Scotts Valley.

I googled just now: "Boulder Creek CA flood damage" and came up with this article. You could probably find more info. https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cali...storm/3128475/

Old 01-14-2023, 10:24 PM

To the OP: I forgot to add, my kid has 3 rescue dogs & one is a husky/mixed breed. When it snows, that dog runs out in it, rolls around in it, lays in it & refuses to go indoors. The other 2 dogs watch her from inside the house.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
To the OP: I forgot to add, my kid has 3 rescue dogs & one is a husky/mixed breed. When it snows, that dog runs out in it, rolls around in it, lays in it & refuses to go indoors. The other 2 dogs watch her from inside the house.
lol! Cute!

Old 01-15-2023, 08:12 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
We lived in the Monterey area for 6 lustrum. I remember some winters Fremont Peak State Park, by San Juan Bautista, would get some snow. We took our young'uns & pups up there a few times, for a bit of fun...
Have a Wonderful Adventure, Giz & Boris.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=does+F...&wsso=Moderate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California