Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 10:18 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times

Advertisements

Sorry about suggesting Landcaster.
Not the area I was meaning.
Just north of of the 5 near Gorman on the Grapevine Hill there is a valley about 5-10 miles or so away.
It’s kinda an alpine area with nice cabins.
Looks cool in the snowy weather.
It also commutable to Bakersfield or the other side of the hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 08:39 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,835 times
Mt. Pinos outside of Frazier Park west of the I-5 Grapevine corridor.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:24 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
According to this article on the CA rains and flooding, the Salinas area not only is still flooded, but evacuation orders have been made. More rain expected this week. There are several paragraphs devoted to the Monterey peninsula and Santa Cruz County. Landslides resulting in road blockages are expected with the coming storm front.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/15/u...anta-cruz.html
Quote:
Disaster relief workers have seen widespread flooding in the Salinas Valley, inland from the peninsula, and the county still has active evacuation orders for some areas along the Salinas and Carmel Rivers. On Saturday, more than a hundred people were in evacuation shelters, according to Maia Carroll, the communications coordinator for Monterey County. Some residents have been out of their homes since floods began last Monday.

There were no evacuation orders on the Monterey Peninsula on Sunday, but officials remained on alert across the county for more flooding along the major rivers.
(Sorry for the paywall)
Quote:
More than eight feet of snow has accumulated in the Sierra Nevada in the last week. Mountain communities in the Lake Tahoe region, with a fleet of snow removal equipment and avalanche professionals, are built to withstand big winter storms. Problems mount, however, on a holiday weekend when that much snow coincides with the arrival of thousands of people looking for a winter getaway in the Tahoe area, one of the most popular places for downhill skiing in the country.

On Sunday morning, bumper-to-bumper traffic inched up two-lane roads toward the ski resorts located north of Lake Tahoe. The National Weather Service expected another eight to 18 inches of snow to accumulate by Tuesday, with wind gusts up to 80 miles an hour on exposed ridge tops in the Sierra.

California Department of Transportation officials were asking travelers for patience on Monday, when continued snowfall was expected to affect road conditions,

Old 01-19-2023, 02:33 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
@ Ruth, some winters when we lived in the area, sometimes the Salinas River would overflow daily for over a month, day after day. The lettuce, cauliflower, artichoke fields, etc, flooded all the time.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
@ Ruth, some winters when we lived in the area, sometimes the Salinas River would overflow daily for over a month, day after day. The lettuce, cauliflower, artichoke fields, etc, flooded all the time.
Wow. Hard to build a local economy under those conditions, eh?

Old 01-23-2023, 04:04 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I believe the OP is in a different part of the mts.: Scotts Valley.

I googled just now: "Boulder Creek CA flood damage" and came up with this article. You could probably find more info. https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cali...storm/3128475/
I used to be in Scotts Valley, but now I'm actually in Boulder Creek - north of town too, in fact.

Oh, and I had a great trip! Just got back late Friday night, and we did Mt. Charleston for our snow time. I'll post some pics of that in a bit.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I once lived north of Boulder Creek just off of 9, River Dr, right on a 90 degree bend in the San Lorenzo, the house was just 15' above summer water level....wonder if the house is still there after the recent rains...How high did it get in BC ? Any pics ?
That's basically across the road from where I live. lol

We're fine in that neighborhood, since we sit just above the real flooding/damage. Roads around us were closed for a few days, but I haven't heard any reports of houses there being destroyed. I do have pics of the damage in other parts of Boulder Creek/Felton/etc., which I'll try to post later (on my work computer now). It's mostly dried up now, but the damage on a few roads like Bear Creek will take months to repair.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:19 PM

As mentioned, we visited Mt. Charleston while in the Las Vegas area. Had a blast!! Boris was soooo excited to see the snow, like a fish in water. We'll definitely have to do that again, maybe in Lake Tahoe next time. Also, the drive was just fine. Dry as a bone most of the way.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I used to be in Scotts Valley, but now I'm actually in Boulder Creek - north of town too, in fact.

Oh, and I had a great trip! Just got back late Friday night, and we did Mt. Charleston for our snow time. I'll post some pics of that in a bit.
Welcome back giz, and I'm glad you had a safe trip!

Old 01-23-2023, 06:24 PM

130,120 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Yay for Boris, he looks so happy. Thanks for the updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California