Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 PM

6 posts, read 32,736 times

Advertisements

My husband is an illustrator, and we're looking to move to So.Cal in the next year. He'd like to be somewhere that has some sort of art scene/community...even a small one. We're currently in a small NJ town that has a close knit art community, and though it's not where he makes his money, the creative camaraderie is really important to him.
Any places that come to mind? I don't really want to live in LA, so I'm looking for places other than that. We've been batting around San Diego area as an idea (probably more inland, we want hot weather)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 PM

41 posts, read 247,263 times
Laguna Beach !! An art colony by the sea. Little pricey, but you can live next door for less. In between LA and SD . Euro flavor. Look up the "Pageant of the Masters" and the "Sawdust Festival" online. There is also an art college there as well as 300 plus restaurants , a boardwalk at the beach, parks with music in one and lawn bowling in another.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 61,421 times
Though not inland, I've heard that Laguna Beach is a HUGE art community. There are tons of galleries, festivals, associations, and artists that live there. It is pretty expensive, as one could imagine, but could be the type of community that you are looking for.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Cambria, Santa Barbara, Ventura (emerging), Santa Monica and Laguna Beach are the main ones that come to mind for me. It seems that I've heard of others, smaller places like Wrightwood, Idyllwild and Palomar Mountain. Not sure about those, though.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:56 AM

355 posts, read 842,445 times
There is a well-establisted community known as the Artist Village within Downtown Santa Ana (seat of Orange County). It is centralized in a couple block radius, but its probably on par with that of Laguna Beach as far as galleries and local involvement. Also within Orange County, you may want to consider a part of Costa Mesa known as South Coast-Metro. It has a high concentration of arts & culture locales, including: OC Performing Arts Center, OC Art Museum, South Coast Repertory, Segerstrom Concert Hall, and the theater district.

One thing to note, however, is that Santa Ana is generally perceived as a safe-haven for illegal immigrants and it has one of the largest Latino (legal and illegal) populations in Southern California. Laguna Beach, beyond its arts community, is a very elite and wealthy beach city. Costa Mesa is more typically middle-class and is centrally located near the airport.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:41 AM

19 posts, read 186,139 times
Default How far inland?

If you are okay with being quite a distance from the Los Angeles or San Diego metro areas, then the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs, Cathedral City, etc.) has a very vibrant art community. I can vouch for Idyllwild as also being a very artist heavy town, though it is at an elevation of 5000+ feet, so you won't have hot weather there. I would also recommend Claremont and (surprisingly) Pomona. Claremont is kind of like a New England college town transplanted about 35 miles east of Los Angeles. There are seven small colleges, three with very active art departments and excellent galleries. It is definitely an upscale town (though not as much so as Laguna) when compared to everything around it. Pomona is right next door and is a more "lower class" type of community. It has like a 60% Latino, which tends to cause some probems (I am not at all racist, but this is just the way it is sometimes). But there is a thriving art scene in the downtown area, several galleries and lots of "artsy" folks hanging around.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:43 PM

76 posts, read 399,970 times
I wld suggest looking into Redlands. It is in San Bernardino county and has a quaint downtown with lots of artsy shops etc. Also having the University of Redlands in town, a market fresh produce and crafts on thursday nights and the redlands bowl for cultural activities. It sounds a little like the area yu are coming from and wld be much cheaper then the coastal areas mentioned. Something to check into at least

Old 01-12-2007, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 29,045 times
Laguna Beach baby!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 43,163 times
Default ME Too

Your question is perfect for me....what you're husband seeks is exactly what I'm seeking.

Did you end up moving to Laguna?
I'm a painter and writer and moving from Colorado to Ca, looking for artist community.

Thanks for asking it.

Macon

Old 01-01-2008, 10:55 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,438 times
Idyllwild has a very active art scene. It is a small mountain town, beautiful scenery, and relatively affordable. It is home to Idyllwild Arts, an arts high school where students from all over the world come to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California