Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times

Advertisements

California unemployment hits 6.8% - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Probably really depends on the industry. What sectors are contributing to these numbers?

I'd bet anything associated with the real estate, building, finance etc industries. Same for any industry that is affected by high fuel costs like airlines. Heck, since fuel is affecting everyone's pocketbook, people are cutting back on things like gym memberships and luxuries thus affecting people in those industries.

Probably not too bad for engineers in SoCal though. I keep my eye on the big aerospace companies' job pages, doesn't look too bad.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:17 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,646 times
Long-term the unemployment rate in California is not going to be helped by the poor business climate. That also makes the state more susceptible to swings in the housing market.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'd bet anything associated with the real estate, building, finance etc industries.
Something that won't show up in the unemployment numbers is when people who were making money hand over fist during the real estate boom have to get real jobs making $40k/yr because that's all they're really qualified to do. Sure, they're employed but the earning isn't.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:14 PM

303 posts, read 846,416 times
Well, in Texas, which is supposedly "business-friendly", neither my boyfriend nor I can find work here. And my boyfriend's mother, who was just laid off and hasn't found anything here either, just found a job in Arkansas and will be leaving this so-called "state of opportunity".

Old 06-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
Well, in Texas, which is supposedly "business-friendly", neither my boyfriend nor I can find work here. And my boyfriend's mother, who was just laid off and hasn't found anything here either, just found a job in Arkansas and will be leaving this so-called "state of opportunity".
And yet the unemployment rate in Texas is 4.5%, lower than California's. Sounds like plenty of people are holding down jobs there.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:43 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And yet the unemployment rate in Texas is 4.5%, lower than California's. Sounds like plenty of people are holding down jobs there.
There are plenty of jobs but you need to have real good qualifications in order to get the good jobs. It is not a state for slackers or the inexperienced. There are lots of entry level positions but if you want a top job you need to be the best.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
There are plenty of jobs but you need to have real good qualifications in order to get the good jobs. It is not a state for slackers or the inexperienced. There are lots of entry level positions but if you want a top job you need to be the best.
Sounds a lot like California.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:50 PM

663 posts, read 2,264,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post

I hear ya ... I am having trouble finding work in Texas myself. Good luck to you and your boyfriend in your job search!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:28 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,807 times
Well now California gets to see what it's like to be multi-billions in debt with all these endless Propositions we've voted for over the last several years along with the incredible retirement packages for the big state government unions . We can look to our hugely Democrat leadership in Sacramento and watch how they try to point fingers instead of cutting the bloated social spending in this state. And now that 10's of thousands of their illegal Democrat voters will likely be going back to Mexico, perhaps some fiscal sanity will finally begin to set in.

We are tap city around here. The taxpayers have had enough. The chickens have come home to roost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California