Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:55 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times

Advertisements

One reason Oregon gasoline is so much cheaper is that Oregon has standard gasoline while California has a specialty boutique low-emission type. That means that when supply is tight in California it can't be brought in from outside and the price just goes up to squeeze demand. And when they've got you [mod cut; offensive language], they like to squeeze hard.

Also, California adds 7%-8% sales tax onto gasoline while Oregon has none.

Last edited by SandyCo; 02-13-2007 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: offensive language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 PM

50 posts, read 306,292 times
Default Redding

Quote:
Originally Posted by star13 View Post
Hi Everyone! After doing some research, I'm really considering relocating to Redding, CA. Several people on this site have said that the area is absolutely beautiful and that I wouldn't be disappointed, but I would like some more facts about the area from people who know the city. If you've got any bit of info or advice to offer about Redding, PLEASE HELP!! I've said this before, but books can only take me so far.... The wealth of first-hand knowledge that exists on this site is amazing!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!
My best friend from H.S. lives in Redding and loves it. The only draw back would be that the state lets all of its sexual offenders loose to live in the Redding area. Other than that it's a great place and I enjoy going to Redding to visit him and his family.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 AM

46 posts, read 455,126 times
I've seen a few people post comments about there being a lot of sex offenders in Redding... Should I be concerned??

Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 AM

50 posts, read 306,292 times
Default Keeping an eye on the pervs

Quote:
Originally Posted by star13 View Post
I've seen a few people post comments about there being a lot of sex offenders in Redding... Should I be concerned??
I think that the sex offenders are there so they can keep an eye on them at all times. Can't say that for sure but I think that is the reason for the concentration of them in that araea. My friend has raised 2 daughters in Redding and never had any problems. One is in college and the other is 16. I have enjoyed visting him and at one time considered moving there. I still may retire in that area if I can find a place to build a home but it is getting expensive up there now.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Star..

The stark reality is that there are sex offenders, everywhere, living among us.
Through Megans law and full disclosure you can do a search for registered sex offenders and they are actually mapped...IIRC last time I looked there were b/t 1600-2000 registered sex offenders in Shasta County,,, and of those I believe about 5 percent were classified the "violent type"
I dont really have a handle on how up to date the database stays.. and obviously you would have to check it on a regular basis to see if Hannibal Lector had just become your neighbor.... I guess its like everything in life.. you try to be cordial with your neighbors.. hope you can know them enough to trust them....
There are very active parole and probation offices here... it has been my experience that most sex offenders are white (when it comes to children) and since our population here is predominantly white and there is an underclass of "okiefied" people living in the surrounding areas we probably see a higher percentage of them than other places.. based on population.. there may be more in L.A. but theres so many more people there you might not come across them

You should also be aware that there are many group homes here inside/outside of the city limits.. for me its another way of saying.. we have little "darlings" we couldn't put in juvie hall so we will put them in a home (10 or more) in the community where they wont get hardened,, hmm why is it then that stolen cars always seem to end up in the neighborhoods around these group homes... hey.. have to get a ride home somehow...

You can generally find out where they are,, there are only one or two private companies contracted to run them... they are easy to spot.. nondescript large vans in the driveways with tinted windows and landscaping home condition that appear to look "unlived" in by a regular family...
In defense of them they also take kids from broken homes,, its a problem we all face

When I looked at Redding I looked at "hazards" from a policeman's perspective

I didn't want to be around (and we certainly have here)

*flood or indefensible fire zones (very important here if you are living rural)
*power stations or dams
*jails, work release facilities, juvie camps, forest service (inmate) camps,
(I missed the group home thing,, it wasnt on my radar so I have two within two miles of me... but I have a dead end of the road gated compound setup on acreage and am secure/insulated from external influences)
*local area with heavy parolee/sex offender population.. (and when I mean local.. I mean neighborhood.. some redding neighborhoods have a lots of red dots..)
*Easy access to medical facilities and if you live in the county,, acceptable service area by the sheriff....landing zone for air medical rescue helicopter if you live far out
*Fire protection closeby (I have shasta college fire and CDF very close)
* If you are rural WATER WATER WATER... I have a local water district called Bella Vista.. it is one of the better in the area, City of Redding is high quality as well.. Water is gold here and is worth 20-50k on a parcel if it is already there.. water meters are expensive.. as is bringing in power via PGE (City of Redding power is a bargain comparatively)

Law enforcement here is.... minimal.. its not that the deputies dont WANT to do a great job,, theres just too few of them,, where I live, county unincorporated area, there is no real "patrol" to speak of.. if you call eventually you will receive a call from a deputy and if the incident warrants it then an actual response...for me an emergency response would be best case scenario 15 minutes... its not like L.A. when you call a deputy you get one in minutes.. maybe seconds... All this said life can be very peaceful here if you take common sense approaches to living... if you have nice things dont flaunt them.. if you have children,, watch them... if you need to be out late at night dont go to unfamiliar places.. all common sense stuff we all (hopefully) do everyday

hope this helps and doesn't scare you off.. in America today we all have these issues in our neighborhoods in varying degrees

I should also tell you I want to move on from Redding.. not because it cant be a nice place to live but because of my background Im burned out on California.. I do my best to keep my posts positive for people wanting to move here,, we all have differing needs and desires

Cam

Old 02-16-2007, 06:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
if you call eventually you will receive a call from a deputy and if the incident warrants it then an actual response...for me an emergency response would be best case scenario 15 minutes... its not like L.A. when you call a deputy you get one in minutes.. maybe seconds...
Cam, you've obviously never lived in L.A. I've called LAPD about domestic violence by dialing 911. They asked me if I saw any weapons, such as a gun. When I said "no", they said they'd send a car out. Forty-five minutes later...! I'm not kidding. Redding is looking better to me all the time! Fifteen minutes would be such an improvement!

Thank you for being a very positive influence in this forum as well!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
25 years L.A County Sheriff .. thankfully and happily retired... I was privileged to have worked every station from Firestone to Malibu...I still get good vibes when I hear Randy Newman sing I love L.A... but I have also grown up....

The differences of living in the city vs the county... let me just say this.. the city is broken

Deputies are trained to treat citizens as the people they work for.. not as the occupying force... there is a difference
I have heard the horror stories in the city of people calling 911 and getting a busy signal..or an officer not even showing up... I cant say that has never happened in the county(I never heard of it on my shift in 25 years)).. if it did however there would be someone looking for a job.. we would be fired the next day,, actually relieved of duty then investigated then fired.. that would take about a month or two,,,

As an aside.. a deputy can receive up to 30 days off (or equivalent of about a 6000.00 fine) for discipline.. after that it is an automatic firing.. so if you were rude... acted inappropriately, not amounting to a crime,crashed a radiocar, or 10000 other things you could receive the above discipline...if you failed to go to a radiocall.. man.. I have to tell you,, you would be in a heap pile of dung... and so much heat would come down ,, I just dont think it happens on our department...
Sheriff Baca instills in each deputy.. a citizen calls.. we will send a car.. yes I have handled noisy trash trucks leaf blowers dogs barking cats in the tree my neigbor(s) (insert any activity you like).. and everything else.. I have conducted divorces.. (they made up after I divorced them,,).. pretty much I would do anything that was legal that a citizen asked for,,
Deputies know what service they can provide but we are also trained to ask citizens "Is there anything I can do or say to help you be satisfied with this situation you called us about"... thats why our mission statement is "Service With Tradition"

With Domestic Violence there is little discretion that a California Peace Officer has,,,, I mean if they care about their house payment and liability.. you CANT kiss those off.. there is a penal code section directly addressing it... whoa be it for the copper today not to act upon it... he be in jail if something bad happens to either party...
Pretty much
If there is any signs of violence that party is going to jail...
If violence is alleged but there is no evidence of same a domestic violence report is REQUIRED by law

In the county one of my concerns as a field sergeant was keeping deputies from responding TOO quickly to non emergent calls...

One HUGE difference b/t the two departments is that a deputy has done 1-4 years of custody time before they hit the street.. this allows them to mature.. and takes some of the attitude edge of young policemen seem to get (my experience) when going directly into a big black and white,, getting to drive fast carry a gun and tell people what to do...

If you want the long explanation about the City of Los Angeles and LAPD from a policeman's perspective we can start another thread... people might find it interesting.... let me know and I will be happy to give you my perspective as to why the two departments are very very different...

cam

Last edited by notmeofficer; 02-16-2007 at 08:55 PM..

Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I think a new thread on that would be very interesting. I seem to have derailed this thread (bad moderator!). Okay, everyone, back to talking about Redding now. Sorry!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:02 PM

18 posts, read 114,088 times
Default We Are Considering Anderson, Too- Any Thoughts For A Big Family, Young Kids?

We Are Looking To Move From Long Island To Anderson, Ca As Well.
Looks Nice, Affordable, Good Schools?
Any Thoughts, Anyone?
Thanks,
Amy

Old 02-20-2007, 02:21 PM

46 posts, read 455,126 times
Talking Thank You!!!

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their input and help... I truly appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California