Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is California one of the worst states to raise and have children?
Yes, no one should have children in California. We're suffering enough as it is. 9 19.15%
No, people can have children anywhere, where more problems will occur. 30 63.83%
Yes, childless California natives shouldn't have any children at all. Go to another state if they want some. 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I don't understand why people want kids in California anyway. I don't see how anyone could put up with little brats these days.
Whoa, pretty harsh. what is with these anti child rants?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 18,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
go back then

buncha whiners because people arent kissing each others you know whats
It's not about "kissing each others you know what"..it's about having a hard time finding that many people out here who have common decency, morals, or manners. It seems that those things skipped this state (not all people..but A LOT)...and parents forgot to try and teach their children those exact same things.

How many strangers say hi to you? Open doors for you? Do you open doors for others? Smile at strangers? Try to be polite?

Not many here do any of those things, they are all in their own little world.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:20 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracydr View Post
How many strangers say hi to you? Open doors for you? Do you open doors for others? Smile at strangers? Try to be polite?.
Actually, I have strangers say "hi" to me all the time, open doors for me, speak respectfully, let me out in traffic.... you name it. I try to do the same - I'm sure I miss a few, as we all do.

The friends my children have made here have all been polite, considerate and respectful, very thoughtful and inclusive, with great families.

I don't know how to account for my experiences being so different from other people's. Maybe it's the different areas within CA? Not sure...

So between the people/culture being great (and I'm from the southeast, so my standards for manners are high), plenty of activities, etc., I think this is a great place to bring up children. YMMV...

Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Whoa, pretty harsh. what is with these anti child rants?
Not sure but this might be the same person formerly known as LAFan, who was pretty regular about posting such remarks.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracydr View Post
It's not about "kissing each others you know what"..it's about having a hard time finding that many people out here who have common decency, morals, or manners. It seems that those things skipped this state (not all people..but A LOT)...and parents forgot to try and teach their children those exact same things.

How many strangers say hi to you? Open doors for you? Do you open doors for others? Smile at strangers? Try to be polite?

Not many here do any of those things, they are all in their own little world.
I have plenty of people open doors for me and say Hello and I'm a man. If that is the worse thing about California to you then I don't know what to tell you. lol. Leave it to beaver was not real.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:09 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
It must not be that bad of a state to have kids since everyone here seems to have at least one kid in SoCal. I will agree that the public schools are in decline, but I think public schools across the nation are in decline due to the new "test" approach of learning.

California has many things to do as a family: beaches, mountains, parks, theme parks. You can really do a lot here, which may or may not distract from learning.

It all comes down to parenting and finding a nice place with good schools. However, then being able to afford that place, which turns many middle class parents away.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,972 times
Me and my family are thinking about relocating to California but I don't know a good city to move to. My husbands family live in Victorville is that a good city to move to? Or what is a good city to move to I have 11 and a 12 year old HELP ME!!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:12 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawanda View Post
Me and my family are thinking about relocating to California but I don't know a good city to move to. My husbands family live in Victorville is that a good city to move to? Or what is a good city to move to I have 11 and a 12 year old HELP ME!!!!
Piedmont, Alemeda, Albany, El Cerrito are nice. Victorville is not a place I would choose to move to. It's in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Victorville is in the high desert. I know people who love it there; however, the husband has to drive 90 miles to work every day of his life. To him, it's worth it. I don't think it would be worth it for most people. That's why it's cheaper than other places. If you can find work close to there, though, and you and your husband enjoy his relatives' company, it is very inexpensive to live there, by California standards.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
Quote:
Look into the San Luis Obispo County area. What kind of work do you and your husband do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California