Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Denver still has a visible brown cloud on some days but the AQI is no where near as bad as the central valley. When they call a "red alert" day here meaning voluntarily don't use your fire place, don't mow in the middle of the day, etc, the AQI is the equivalent to a "moderate" in the valley. Moderate is almost as good as it gets in Fresno. What I mean is a bad day here is the same AQI as a good day in the valley.
No I agree with you about Denver today.

What I was trying to say was that Denver started taking steps over 20 years ago to improve their very bad air quality that Fresno has just started to take in the last 5 to 10 years.

For example in 1972 Denver exceeded the federal carbon monoxide standard on 154 days.

So we should also look at the trend in Fresno

That is quite a drop for Fresno and the trend should be an important fact in any discussion. Denver cut its pollution to where it is today by starting earlier on stronger measures. Fresno is heading in that direction.

As a comparison here is the Inland Empire east of Los Angeles (Ontario/Pomona/etc)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,366 times
Am a little surprised no one has addressed the "what is Lemoore like"? query.

Actually, Lemoore is a Navy town. Yes, right there in the heart of the San Joaquin valley. A long way from the water. But still home to some of the Navy's best aviation squadrons. What that means for newcomers is the town is used to familys coming and going so you would probably not even cause a ripple.

It is centrally located within the state, and also in the valley, so the surrounding area is flat. Farmland. Or brush. Boring. But not really dangerous, in spite of the AQI worriers - unless you already have bronchial challenges, imo.

Its in Kings County so google the schools there for better information, but when I lived in the area they had great sports and academic teams and we travelled there to compete often.

So it has the Navy, agriculture and petroleum sustaining its economy, which is better than just petroleum by itself.

Cheers

Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Looks like my links of the historical charts for Fresno and San Bernardino Counties isn't working. So here it is again.
http://www.epa.gov/cgi-bin/broker?_s...ycounty=county

Fresno shows a strong trend of air quality improvement. Give it a few more years and we may see even better air quality.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:10 PM

47 posts, read 112,335 times
Thanks, Franklyn you answered a lot of questions for me. It actually doesn't sound like a bad place because my husband is looking for oil jobs and it would be nice to move to a place where we don't stick out.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainedancer1 View Post
We have relatives in Northern and Southern California so we were thinking of the central valley.
I love Central Valley. I have lived all over the Nation and nothing compares to Central Valley California... LOVE IT!

I moved to Tracy, CA (Central Valley) over 15 yrs ago because this town has award winning school district year after yr.. our elementary schools provide lap tops for the children. We even have parents drive an hour from other cities just so their kids can attend Tracy schools!

The other best thing about it is that my aunt bought a house 2 yrs ago in Tracy via rent to own (even with her bad credit) and now I'm buying a beautiful home via rent to own too here.
I have a link (business card and phone) for the person who helped us buy my aunt's and my home rent to own if you're interested. She's really knowledgeable and I HIGHLY recommend her.

I wouldn't leave Central Valley for anything

Viva Diva

Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainedancer1 View Post
Thanks, Franklyn you answered a lot of questions for me. It actually doesn't sound like a bad place because my husband is looking for oil jobs and it would be nice to move to a place where we don't stick out.
There a lot of oilfield work in Kern County.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:43 PM

84 posts, read 293,348 times
Default What is Lemoore like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Am a little surprised no one has addressed the "what is Lemoore like"? query.

Actually, Lemoore is a Navy town. Yes, right there in the heart of the San Joaquin valley. A long way from the water. But still home to some of the Navy's best aviation squadrons. What that means for newcomers is the town is used to familys coming and going so you would probably not even cause a ripple.

It is centrally located within the state, and also in the valley, so the surrounding area is flat. Farmland. Or brush. Boring. But not really dangerous, in spite of the AQI worriers - unless you already have bronchial challenges, imo.

Its in Kings County so google the schools there for better information, but when I lived in the area they had great sports and academic teams and we travelled there to compete often.

So it has the Navy, agriculture and petroleum sustaining its economy, which is better than just petroleum by itself.

Cheers

I am a bit disappointed. I am from a large city back on the east side of the country. Number one, I am in culture shock. Number two, there are ghetto parts all over Lemoore but they are building-so I am confused whether this town is going to get better or worse. Number three, the local high school is not a good place for little ones to be around. These kids tend to be ghetto and I worry what this place is going to be like in the next 5 years when these kids have graduated and are running this town. Even though the naval base is here, I still do not think the natives of this town are used to, or appreciate newcomers to this town. People aren't overly friendly here. It is a very old town with very old school people... I don't feel comfortable living here. Sorry!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:02 PM

84 posts, read 293,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Just because you don't notice the air quality doesn't mean it isn't bad.

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the really bad fog that I heard we get here in the valley during the morning commute to work. Terrible driving conditions. Can't wait!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:55 AM

318 posts, read 1,317,306 times
I have lived in Central CA all my life. Fresno is considered the pits in our family. We prefer the San Francisco Bay Area and North of that. We are currently located in the Sierra Foothills, called the gold country. Nice area, Valley Springs, just an hour from Sacramento and hour and a half from the Bay Area. We are close to a Metro Area called Stockton. Stockton itself is also the pits but it provides a lot of jobs for those living in the foothills.

Izzy

Old 10-18-2008, 01:45 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
I personally would not want to live in some of the smaller towns in Fresno County such as Kingsburg, Parlier, Del Rey or Reedley. There are some OK looking neighborhoods in north Fresno and Clovis though. I don't think anybody on here can roll by the some of the newer neighborhoods north of Herndon and say with a straight face that they look terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California