Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:27 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times

Advertisements

Are there any other gay people that feel calif is to expensive to retire to, but want to go to a region that is more cost effective and not so conservative it would be a poor choice, doesn't have the worst of climate, and has a strong enonomy, since I want to work find part time employment. I would prefer the eastern USA, even the midwest. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Are there any other gay people that feel calif is to expensive to retire to, but want to go to a region that is more cost effective and not so conservative it would be a poor choice, doesn't have the worst of climate, and has a strong enonomy, since I want to work find part time employment. I would prefer the eastern USA, even the midwest. THANKS
Liberal and cheap with mild climates are pretty much antithetical. Look at college towns or places like Vermont or Northern Midwestern cities like Chicago suburbs, St Louis, etc. Typically you will find liberalism where you have a mix or urban, rural, wealthy and poor populations. You will find conservatism where you have homogenously wealthy or rural populations. It's a huge generalization but has some truth to it.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Yes thank you, someone has told me to look at college towns, and if I want a lower cost one that is liberal and in a warmer climate to try Tallahassee. Thanks

Old 02-21-2007, 03:08 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
New England is universally Liberal-
Try the Hartford CT and Providence RI areas- housing is cheapest in Hartford- new homes from 250K and up- 3 months of winter-
NYC is nearby- as is Boston, Vermont and Cape Cod. Great beaches, culture, lots of PT jobs. Liberal laws- CT has civil unions like Vermont. Mass has marriage.

Providence has a gay mayor- great gay city- New Haven is another great area. Provincetown is nearby- Ogunquit Me is also nearby.

Try Northampton Mass- known as 'Lesbianville' USA great downtown and Main St.

South coastal New England has mild winters.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:21 PM

Yes thank you, I am originally from Mass, I could never afford it as I got older, nor would I want that cold, 3 months of cold winter, more like alot more, but thanks.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
well your options may be limited- the south is not 'gay friendly' and Miami which is - is as expensive as Boston now.

Your choices are very limited- you might have to stay in California- good luck.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
OREGONRAIN - have you considered Asheville, NC? I bought a second home there, and love the town. It has a fairly large gay/lesbian population, as well as an eclectic mixture of artists, bohemians, hippies, new age vegetarians, etc. all mixed up with the regular southern locals. I really love the vibe there - it reminds me of being back in the 60's or 70's! They do have some winter, but no real snow - just an inch or two a couple times a winter. And the spring and fall seasons are absolutely glorious. Add in that they have a huge preponderance of wonderful restaurants and a hopping music scene and it makes for a very vibrant town. Maybe you might like to check it out!

Old 02-22-2007, 06:58 PM

I haven't been to Asheville, but yes I have heard about it, and the gay people moving there. I have also been on the North Carolina sections of the website, Im glad your happy there, it would not be a place I would be able to relocate to. I have found though in researching all of this retirement business, the common trait, is that one place is to conservative and another is too expensive. I feel that is the reason it is such a difficult situation, and that has to stop. I can't change the expensive part, but the conservative part that affects where we live isn't much Im going to consider anymore. Calif is out of site for housing and numerous other things, I think I will still head south and the H--- with all the conservatives. Thanks for your information.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,324 times
Ashville is a good mix of cultures. The Biltmore Village area is gay friendly. It even has a gay friendly, if not mostly gay, church. When venturing too far from any southern urban center, one has to remember to respect the comfort level of the natives. Ashville and the area are kind to people they percieve as tourist. If you plan on staying, get to know some of the owner's of the local gay bed and breakfasts. They can help you get to know the area and even introduce you to a good realtor. Winters are mild; but it is still winter. P.S. Healthcare in Ashville is excelent.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 AM

Thank you, but Asheville is definitely not on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California