Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yes, we do not go outside and bask in the sunshine every day but we can knowing that it will be just about perfect all year long.
Yeah ... I don't every day either but I definitely bask in the sunshine every weekend. I was on Carmel Beach last weekend and it was absolutely perfect.

One guy we passed joked, "Tough day for November ... isn't it?" And we all laughed.

After spending eight miserable winters on the east coast, I still appreciate California weather every single day.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:42 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
For starters, I'm leaving because it is too expensive. The city wanted to charge me 70,000$ for PERMISSION to rebuild my roof....

Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
For starters, I'm leaving because it is too expensive. The city wanted to charge me 70,000$ for PERMISSION to rebuild my roof....
Can you elaborate?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
And you would have seen a TON of Californians out enjoying the weather. I will guarantee you: all of the parking lots were full, traffic was backed up at the beaches, etc.
This is myopic. Did you do a survey and find out how often each of those people go out and do such things? Did you find out how many of them are on vacation? No....you just assume.

Quote:
However, if the pay would be about the same or, even a little less then ... Texas is probably a cost saver. I have lived in Austin ... if I HAD to live in Texas again Austin would would be the place but, unless money savings is the only objective ...I think you basically have to be conservative minded to be happy there. It is an entirely different culture and it was definitely NOT for me.
Travis County is more liberal than a number of major areas in California. The state as a whole is more conservative.

Also, mentioning how you would get paid less because there are no unions is sorta funny as this is part of the problem with California. Unions in medical and government. The gravy train isn't going to last long so enjoy it while it lasts. For others (that don't have unions to extort money for them) the pay is pretty similar for high skill work between California and Texas, which is why I used it in my example.

Quote:
As we've discussed at length, I'm not paying $500K for my California house ... only $250K yet ... every weekend I can still drive Highway 1, walk the beach in Carmel, hike in the redwoods etc. To me, at least, it's priceless.
You don't live in a major area, that same house would be around $100~$120k in an area with similar employment in Texas. Most can't live where you do even if they wanted as the job market is very limited.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM

It seems the best argument for California at this point is the weather? In my example that is $1,700/month to pay for better weather. But the weather is only nice if you are modestly close to the coast, otherwise it can be pretty bad.

But the only major difference between the weather in Austin vs California major cities is that its more humid. $1,700/month a month is a high cost to pay for lower humidity......

Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
But even my friends who are not union members, there's no exodus out-of-state but rather homeowners & parents invested in the community. Plus, California regulates employment practices much more than practically any state in favor of the employee. Most of my neighbors have been here well over 20 years.
California has an out-migration problem, this is a fact. What is happening with the people you know doesn't change the facts. Also, regulations that favor employees disfavor business owners and start-ups. Without businesses you don't have employees..... Liberal policy makers seem not to understand that regulation locks out start-ups from starting new businesses (that compete with existing ones) due to the high costs to do nothing more than keep up with regulations. These policies are supported by the existing businesses because although it increases their costs, they can afford it and it removes competition.

The bay area not only has a very bad distribution of wealth, but its creating less new wealth than other areas. So if you made your money in the 70's and 80's you can enjoy yourself, but if you are a new comer wanting to make new money you're screwed. It is not the establishment that is leaving, its the people outside of it. But its ironic that liberal policies that pretend to be good for the "working class" are destroying it in the bay area.

Quote:
Can one imagine the cooling & heating bills of Texas or Arkansas or Alabama? In Los Angeles we are able to open all the windows almost every night during summer & let the cool air in.
In Texas you may pay more for cooling, not because its hotter but because its more humid (The humidity makes it feel hotter, in a way). Also, just in case you didn't know, not all Los Angeles has identical weather. The LA basin is cooler than the San Fernando Valley. The heat in the San Fernando Valley is horrible opening your window at night doesn't do the trick.

When I lived on the east coast I paid on average around $60 more a month in utilities than I spend here. Wasn't a big deal at all. I wasn't in a super cold area, but colder than Arkansas and Alabama.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Not that this means much but I was surprised when I found out that Huntsville electricity is about $0.09 per kilowatt-hour (that is very cheap); That's maybe half of Los Angeles DWP or Edison rates.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not that this means much but I was surprised when I found out that Huntsville electricity is about $0.09 per kilowatt-hour (that is very cheap); That's maybe half of Los Angeles DWP or Edison rates.
I asked about electricity rates in Denver a couple of months ago and their rates aren't much higher than yours. Here in Edison-land, I paid $0.26/KwH (4th tier of the progressive rate) this summer cooling a 2 bedroom upstairs apartment 4 miles from the Pacific. Granted this place isn't insulated well and I doubt the AC is very efficient, but still, that's a lot of money to maintain a basic level of comfort. I'd hate to try to cool an actual house in the SFV. I can only imagine how expensive the higher tiers are. Gotta love California.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 PM

In the San Fernando Valley, you're going to pay at least $300/month to cool a modest house. And that is just to make it some what comfortable.

Personally, I only pay around $50 on average a month for a 2-bedroom. The weather isn't too bad here and most of my items are energy efficient.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Don't forget car registration going up 3-fold...

I'm going to non-op my pick-up for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California