Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I lived in San Diego for 18 years and the major heart burn I had with the local news is their way of planting ideas in your head. For instance:

Instead of:
A man was shot today on 5th and Market.
They'd say:
A man was shot with a terrible gun on 5th and Market.

Or
They'd announce that a guy was knifed in an ally. But the back drop, behind the newsperson, showed an assault weapon with a 40 rnd mag. They've been outlawed since 1968.

They didn't report the news, they destorted it with their own agenda. I got to where I'd watch national news and ignore the local stuff. And it wasn't just one station, it was all of them.
jgussler,
I was surprised to see your response on this thread, since I'm used to seeing them in the Wyoming forum! I agree with you completely. When it comes to gun issues in particular, the media has never missed an opportunity to distort the truth.

The reality of most of the crime involving guns is that the crime is committed by a CRIMINAL that obtained that gun through ILLEGAL means. Yet it is the lawful, civically minded individuals that choose to own guns and obtain them legally that suffer for the misdeeds of the media. The guns have NEVER committed the crime, though you wouldn't know it from the reports in the media. This is probably the one issue that I see improperly reported most frequently, and is the reason I don't give much credence to what is reported in the major media.

I also agree about the point involving placing an image of a gun on the backdrop when reporting about a stabbing or any type of murder not involving a gun.

The other day, there was a "10th anniversary" special on the news reporting on the "North Hollywood Bank Shootout," sensationalizing every aspect about that event, with one overlooked exception. It seems that the L.A.P.D. did not have the appropriate weapons to take on the well armed, suicide minded criminals. The L.A.P.D. visited one of the local gun shops and obtained numerous AR 15 type rifles, among other things. The gun shop that supplied the L.A.P.D. that day, was forced out of business by legislation (passed by the L.A. City Council shortly thereafter) unfriendly to the firearms industry. The same was true of pretty much every other business that was involved in the legal firearms trade. The only mention that was made about any of this in the media reports the other day, was that the gun shop that supplied the guns was now "defunct."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 03:48 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The other day, there was a "10th anniversary" special on the news reporting on the "North Hollywood Bank Shootout," sensationalizing every aspect about that event, with one overlooked exception. It seems that the L.A.P.D. did not have the appropriate weapons to take on the well armed, suicide minded criminals. The L.A.P.D. visited one of the local gun shops and obtained numerous AR 15 type rifles, among other things. The gun shop that supplied the L.A.P.D. that day, was forced out of business by legislation (passed by the L.A. City Council shortly thereafter) unfriendly to the firearms industry. The same was true of pretty much every other business that was involved in the legal firearms trade. The only mention that was made about any of this in the media reports the other day, was that the gun shop that supplied the guns was now "defunct."
This is interesting to me since I did business at that Bank of American quite a few times. Maybe you didn't think the shootout was a big deal, but a lot of other people did (including me). I still think about it whenever I am in that neighborhood.

I'm curious what you are saying about B & B. They were in business for over 20 years. Are you sure they were "forced out" or did they just decide to go out of business? There's no reason for them to be "forced out" when other gun shops operate locally and B & B had an excellent reputation as a "good neighbor" as well as a gun shop that didn't sell to criminals -- so that doesn't make any sense to me. Specifically, what legislation affected them that didn't affect other gun shops?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:16 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
I used to live in that neighborhood as well, and did think this was a big deal. I was shocked by what I saw, but was very glad to have moved away about four years earlier.

I guess I should clarify what I meant about B&B. I believe they were a well managed and operated business that was caught in the middle of the political debate about gun rights. I believe they did close their doors of their own accord, but mainly because the climate in Los Angeles (as well as the rest of California) became extremely hostile towards gun shops (remember the assault weapons ban and the ban on "Saturday Night Specials"). If you look around the valley (and other parts of L.A.) at the gun shops that existed twenty years ago, the only one left is Turner's Outdoorsman in Reseda (unless there are others I am not aware of). Turner's also deals in fishing and camping supplies, as well as apparel. I guess that the Big 5 chain is still there selling long guns, but they don't and haven't carried hand guns in that time. Gun World, Pony Express, Sherwood, B&B, Bauer's, and National are all gone now, as are the stores that specialized in reloading equipment, such as the Reloading Center, the Reloading Bench, etc. Other than Turner's and Big 5, the only gun shops that I am aware of that are still in existence in the area are those that are outside of the Los Angeles city limits, such as Kings Guns in Glendale, and Greta's Guns in Simi Valley. Even the gun shows are gone from L.A. County, with the exception of the one in Glendale.

The point I was trying to make is that the media (along with many in politics), have practically criminalized gun owners and gun ownership by private citizens. The vast majority of gun owners that I've met over the years have been law abiding citizens that just wanted to keep their homes and neighborhoods safe for their families. When they lose their right to gun ownership, they lose one of the best means they have of protecting their families and their property.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:47 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
jdavid93225,

There are some new gun shops then. I've seen them when I've been driving around but I couldn't tell you what they sell because they all have storefronts with no windows. Thanks for clarifying what you meant about B&B because I always thought they were very reputable. In all the years I've lived here, I've never heard anyone say anything negative about them.

Personally, I'm glad Los Angeles has restrictive gun laws. I'm okay with people having guns at home and guns at their businesses (providing they have training and licenses) -- but I really don't want to see a bunch of people walking around on the street with guns. I don't want to drive next to a bunch of idiots with loaded guns right next to them. (Road rage is bad enough without adding guns.) So, I guess I see the issue differently than you do. (But I also don't want to see the state chasing out legitimate gun dealers who abide by the laws!!)

Old 03-04-2007, 10:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Local news in LA is terrible. Every station is a copycat of the next. Sometimes I think the program directors of the major networks all hold meetings to agree on what to show and in what order. Too many times I have flipped from channel 2 to 4 to 5 to 7 to 11 to 13 and they're all reporting the exact same thing at the exact same time. Then there's the thousands of dollars spent on "sky copters" to cover "a car fire on the 710!" State and Federal politics or other current events get token mention somewhere around the 0:16-after mark -- squeezed in between the Agelina Jolie update and the three-times-as-long sports coverage.

Northwest of LA is even worse. The ABC affiliate in Santa Barbara, KEYT, prides itself on being "the Tri-County's Local News Leader," or something like that. The pathetic thing is that they're the ONLY TV news outlet for the whole "tri-counties" region, Ventura, Santa Barbara, and SLO counties. I guess it's easy to be a leader when you're all alone. What might be even more pathetic is that in spite of my complaining about KEYT, I watch the local news all the time! Sometimes I feel like there is a joke in there somewhere, and us viewers are the butt of it.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 03-04-2007 at 11:31 PM..

Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Remember, news is entertainment. My partner worked as a Technical Director in S. California news and he's ruined it for me forever. It's just about ratings. That's it. Remember: good news doesn't make ratings. Also remember that it all has a slant.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:37 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I agree with everything that has been said in regards to local news; I always laugh at the "live reports" that often take place outside a dark building with no one around. What's the point of it being live? I watch the news in the morning to get the traffic report, a vague idea of the weather, and that's it. Honestly, I couldn't care less that Britney spent an hour in rehab and then left! It's all fluff and hype, and the phrase "if it bleeds it leads" is still all too true.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:22 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
I still remember when my partner's station, KABC started doing "Stormwatch". Loved the talent doing live shots trying to get excited about a couple drops of rain. KABC spent a bunch of money on it too...everyone at the station thought it was hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California