Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 PM

37 posts, read 152,713 times

Advertisements

What is the news like in San Diego, Sacramento, or San Francisco? Lots of crime and tragedy? Or enlightening stories about your community? Which stations have the best quality newscasts?

This is not a professional survey or anything. Just someone in the news business wondering about the market in San Diego.

Thanks.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 02-23-2007 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: cross-posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 02:24 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,805 times
If you want to know what I think-Well, LA has complete junk.(including but not limited to Good Day LA!!) It seems most channels are a mix between a ditsy E.T. and a cheesy Today Show. Rumors, boob jobs, and non-eventful news casts. (There must be a major market that wants it though!) The live high-speed car chases are pretty cool, but nothing else stands out.

I find that San Diego's stations are much better at delivering news. Channel 7, I think, is pretty good. I have no idea about SF, or Sacramento..sorry..

Old 02-23-2007, 04:59 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
Like most local stations, when they don't lead with the latest gossip/celebrity news they show isolated crime stories (because they have video) and do hours-after stand-ups at official locations so it seems the news is fresh. Really not inspiring stuff.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
The local "news" here in LA is a joke. I probably haven't watched it in 10 years (like the channel 4 news at 11).

The "news" is more like...

car chases
ditzy, superficial stories
random crime stories
"investigations" that are suppose to protect the public...remember the restaurant investigations years ago (late 90's?)? They were going into the kitchens around So Cal and exposing all these horrible places. That was a huge story around here and it was pretty good.

Too sensationalized and hyped for me...

Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 AM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times
LA news (weather) is a joke. We get a piddly drizzle and they call it a storm watch

Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,647 times
I stopped watching Sacramento "news" shows back in the late 90's. It is no longer objective news anymore. Feel good crap, boob jobs, fluff, political correctness and self promotion hype.

The funny thing is, the media blames the falling ratings on everything BUT what THEY have done to the so-called "news".

Same with much of the print media/newspapers. They no longer report news, they spin it. Journalism is dead in America. It is no longer about getting the facts and story right. It's all about "feelings".

Old 02-28-2007, 08:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
I lived in San Diego for 18 years and the major heart burn I had with the local news is their way of planting ideas in your head. For instance:

Instead of:
A man was shot today on 5th and Market.
They'd say:
A man was shot with a terrible gun on 5th and Market.

Or
They'd announce that a guy was knifed in an ally. But the back drop, behind the newsperson, showed an assault weapon with a 40 rnd mag. They've been outlawed since 1968.

They didn't report the news, they destorted it with their own agenda. I got to where I'd watch national news and ignore the local stuff. And it wasn't just one station, it was all of them.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM

193 posts, read 1,403,099 times
Personally I enjoy watching KTLA morning news. The funny thing is I live closer to San Diego County but with DISH network the "local channels" all seem to come out of LA.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Basically I find all of the news out of LA is pretty much depressing..from the traffic reports to the gangs, drugs and murders.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I lived in San Diego for 18 years and the major heart burn I had with the local news is their way of planting ideas in your head. For instance:

Instead of:
A man was shot today on 5th and Market.
They'd say:
A man was shot with a terrible gun on 5th and Market.

Or
They'd announce that a guy was knifed in an ally. But the back drop, behind the newsperson, showed an assault weapon with a 40 rnd mag. They've been outlawed since 1968.

They didn't report the news, they destorted it with their own agenda. I got to where I'd watch national news and ignore the local stuff. And it wasn't just one station, it was all of them.
I think it's even worst (in the whole media). I don't think most people realize just how manipulative it is, all in the sake of ratings.

They'll say..."Murder on Sunset Blvd. What you need to know to protect your family at 11..."

When, really, a certain percent of murders are by people the victim knows, a certain percent is drug related, gang related, family related, unpaid debts, whatever. If you don't have any crazy family members, if you don't have debts or disputes, the real odds of it happening are 1 in 10,000 or some statistic.

The headline should read..."Tonight, there was a random murder on Sunset Blvd. There's no need to protect your family over this one...the odds of it happening are only 1 in 50,000" (like the Salt Lake City shooting a few weeks ago).

Or the school shooting "epidemic". There's 5 million kids in school or some huge number. And 8 of them are killed every year. It's hardly an epidemic if 8 goes to 10 or 13 next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California