Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 AM

17 posts, read 320,654 times

Advertisements

I need to get as much information about So. Cali as possible. Might be moving to the area in the next month or so. We've lived in NY before moving to Texas, therefore, we're not new to the big city life.

The job will be in Pasadena, therefore, we're looking to move somewhere around that area, don't know where yet, because we don't know anything about that area.

I know the traffic is a big issue, but living in NY got me numb to that. When we use to visit NC, we had to have an exit plan as to the best time to get out of NY and avoid the traffic.

I know everyone has their pros and cons about So. Cali, but if this job comes through and the money is right, we will be moving there. I know that housing is very expensive, therefore we're looking into renting a home for the time being. But what I would like to know is what is a decent salary to live in So. Cali? I here $50k, $60k, $70k is not that much to live on there. Therefore, would you say $90k to $120K something a family could live on.

Also, we have 4 kids, one is about to start school this year and wanted to know how are the schools there. We do know every school has their problems, but are some schools better in certain areas then others in and around Pasadena.

While living in NY we found that it was cheaper buying food, clothes, furniture, and just about anything (except for housing) then it is here in Texas. Are those items pretty cheap there. For instance, do they have very good deals on your everyday items?

What are some other items we need to be aware of that could affect our way of life that we need to be aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 10:06 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,269 times
Well, there are several questions to answer here. First, I think $90-120K should be adequate for making a decent living in the area. Pasadena is a nice location with numerous options for housing nearby. Besides Pasadena itself, one area that I would suggest looking is the Crescenta Valley. The communities of La Crescenta, La Canada, and Montrose are the main ones there. I don't know what rental rates are in those areas, though. These communities are within about a 20 minute drive of Pasadena. There are also the areas of Monrovia and Arcadia, also within about 20 minutes of Pasadena.

As for finding discounted goods in the area, yes, you can find them. With the Greater Los Angeles area on your doorstep, there are multiple options for shopping and finding bargains all over town. I don't think you'll have any trouble with this.

As for traffic, Pasadena has its share. When I travel the 210 freeway from the San Fernando Valley to places east of Pasadena, the heaviest traffic I see is in the Pasadena area. This is most likely due to the merge of the 134 with the 210. If you avoid this area during rush hour, I don't think you'll find the traffic to be objectionable compared to what you've grown used to.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:49 PM

193 posts, read 1,403,164 times
If you go to any number of real estate sites or loan sites you can calculate how much house you can afford. with 90k you should get into a decent house. I wish I could be more help but I havent really checked out Pasadena.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:54 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Tips for newcomers to SoCal:

- Get a good car with good tires
- Don't get lowballed on salary
- Get a good pair of sunglasses
- Get a good pair of flip-flops
- Eat a Carne Asada burrito within days of arriving
- Remember that it's 'California', not 'Cali'.

Good luck, have fun!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:39 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,938 times
jads7 if you're planning on living in pasadena area it's not bad just pricey anywhere the foothills is nice. good luck to you --just don't move south of the 210!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
Pasadena is very nice, a bit pricey. Summers are hot hot hot. Old town Pasadena has a lot of history and great things to do.

The freeways here are different than NY. Once you get out of town, traffic does not get any better.

Oh yeah, saying things like "Cali" will only get you some strange looks, no one here says that.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
Glendale and Burbank are both close to Pasadena and are good places to live.

I had a friend visit from Texas and he was shocked at how cheap food was out here -- so food is very cheap. Clothes are inexpensive too. We don't have many Wal-Marts but we have a lot of stores that are cheaper than Wal-Mart!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:31 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Glendale and Burbank are both close to Pasadena and are good places to live.

I had a friend visit from Texas and he was shocked at how cheap food was out here -- so food is very cheap. Clothes are inexpensive too. We don't have many Wal-Marts but we have a lot of stores that are cheaper than Wal-Mart!
I have 4 wal-marts that are way too close for comfort.

I have found that if you can buy it at wal mart, it will wear out in a week.

Yes, many food items cost less, quality clothing costs less. Property will cost a lot more.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:43 AM

17 posts, read 320,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have 4 wal-marts that are way too close for comfort.

I have found that if you can buy it at wal mart, it will wear out in a week.

Yes, many food items cost less, quality clothing costs less. Property will cost a lot more.
yeah, we've been checking out the prices of the home and they are pricy. We have a friend who lives in Bakersfield, and they have very affordabout housing there compared to Pasadena and the surrounding areas.

Any places like Bakersfield near Pasadena?

Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jads7 View Post
-

Any places like Bakersfield near Pasadena?
I'm afraid not.

---------
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California