Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM

569 posts, read 671,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
People in Lompoc and Santa Barbara have a general disdain toward each other. This may be where Greenchili's comment is coming from. Santa Barbarans call it Lompton despite the fact SB has plenty of crime to deal with on its own. Some people in Lompoc also resent Santa Barbara for being the rich man's paradise. I liked Lompoc but if I could have afforded to live in SB then I would have, mostly because of how beautiful it is.

Hey Lompoc has a beach, but you might get killed by a shark if you swim in it, so....
I have lived in SB for nearly 30 years and I have never heard of Lompoc called Lompton. Learn something new everyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:17 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The comparative appeal of Lompoc being...what? Besides cost?
Weather,people are friendly,good job for hubs,great church here,beach is beautiful and shark filled,but thats ok,i dont like to swim anyway. Life is good here,...haters gonna hate.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I have lived in SB for nearly 30 years and I have never heard of Lompoc called Lompton. Learn something new everyday!
Lived here in Lompoc for 14+ yrs. Never had a crime happen to me. But then,i dont go searching for it either. I feel very safe! Weather on any given day is really NOT that different than SB.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:30 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Weather,people are friendly,good job for hubs,great church here,beach is beautiful and shark filled,but thats ok,i dont like to swim anyway. Life is good here,...haters gonna hate.
Ah, very good, just wanted to learn of the appeal. We'll assume it's at least preferable to Santa Maria.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,403 times
Take a trip to San Diego..Drive the coast, hike Torrey pines trail, walk the beaches of North County: Del Mar, Encinitas, Leucadia, visit the waterfront areas of La Jolla and Downtown San Diego. Simply can't be beat.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattz View Post
Take a trip to San Diego..Drive the coast, hike Torrey pines trail, walk the beaches of North County: Del Mar, Encinitas, Leucadia, visit the waterfront areas of La Jolla and Downtown San Diego. Simply can't be beat.
Cant be afforded either..

Old 02-06-2015, 03:43 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
Maybe it's a UCSB thing? My cousin teaches there and has heard it at times. I think it's even been called Lompton on this forum. In any case, not all Santa Barbarans have a distaste for Lompoc or the other way around, though I know my post made it sound like that way. For my part, I really liked Lompoc, and thought Santa Barbara was beautiful. The only place on the Central Coast that I did not care for as much was Santa Maria.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:06 PM

569 posts, read 671,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Maybe it's a UCSB thing? My cousin teaches there and has heard it at times. I think it's even been called Lompton on this forum. In any case, not all Santa Barbarans have a distaste for Lompoc or the other way around, though I know my post made it sound like that way. For my part, I really liked Lompoc, and thought Santa Barbara was beautiful. The only place on the Central Coast that I did not care for as much was Santa Maria.
Could be! I have worked on campus since 1992 but I haven't heard it (but not a real surprise!). All I really hear about it is from my coworkers who commute. Windy, foggy but at one time was fairly affordable. I think I have only been there once even though it is pretty close. I am in agreement about Santa Maria.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:32 AM

532 posts, read 821,178 times
When I lived in SB I didn't really appreciate it. The weather was perfect but besides that I didn't feel like I was living some place special. I appreciate more now though and if I had the chance would live there again.

For people who said they hate Santa Maria - What's wrong with Santa Maria?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was always amazed that anyone could hate the Santa Barbara area with all that it has to offer.
I think the bottom line is it's a tough place to live for those who don't earn a lot of money. Great weather is nice, but if all you can afford is a crappy overpriced apartment with a landlord who breaks into your place illegall (per the example a few posts back)....well you really don't have the time or energy or money to do a lot of the fun stuff because you're just trying to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California