Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM

12 posts, read 19,289 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My partner and I are considering moving to California from Ireland in Europe. I am an American and my girlfriend is Irish.

I have recently qualified with a Law Degree from an Irish University and am contemplating sitting the California Bar Exams this coming September with the view to moving to California permanently to work as an Attorney.

As you are all aware, the whole world is in a recession and I am looking for advice and/or suggestions about moving and living in California.

Although I am American, I have lived in Ireland most my life but I do visit the States 2 or 3 times a year as we have a family home in Florida.

I am just looking for some advice from some people who are living and working in California at present (if possible, it would be great to hear from other Attorney's to see what the job market is like at the minute) to see what life is like over there at the moment.

What is living in California like and what areas of CA should I be looking at moving to?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver1 View Post
Hi all,

My partner and I are considering moving to California from Ireland in Europe. I am an American and my girlfriend is Irish.

I have recently qualified with a Law Degree from an Irish University and am contemplating sitting the California Bar Exams this coming September with the view to moving to California permanently to work as an Attorney.

As you are all aware, the whole world is in a recession and I am looking for advice and/or suggestions about moving and living in California.

Although I am American, I have lived in Ireland most my life but I do visit the States 2 or 3 times a year as we have a family home in Florida.

I am just looking for some advice from some people who are living and working in California at present (if possible, it would be great to hear from other Attorney's to see what the job market is like at the minute) to see what life is like over there at the moment.

What is living in California like and what areas of CA should I be looking at moving to?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
I am afraid that California has more than its fair share of lawyers. It is the reason why we are in the economic fix we are in.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
I have difficulties bringing the idea of recession into the decision making process.

You know where Oregon is - right? Above California. We moved to south Oregon for 3 years, and just moved back near Portland again, re-establishing our small business. So ... I just had my busiest January since 1988. Best January in 20 years.

Why? Not sure, but the recession is irrelevant because I approach my business as one who plans to succeed. There is always an option.

In groups of people failing, they are failing because they have not found and chose the doors to survival and success. At worst, they could spend $100 on a squeegee and step ladder and sell window cleaning in single story houses @ $30 per hour and pocket it all.

I suppose whether you should come out depends on your desire to win or claim your position. Survival of the strong and fittest really.

Hard to say if I'd ever pick California permanent. I visited the Los Angeles area for the first time 2 autumns ago, and thought it had some appealing features as a visitor. There is some nice country outside the cities too. I could handle it for a few years.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
Wink Southern Ca. to Ireland

Riverside, within an hour of beach or mountains, is a thriving and freindly city. My children grew up here and they're all successful. Dedicated teachers in the schools. Look up any city, type... profile...then the city. All the beach cities are fun. Older cities, Redlands, Upland may be too small for you. My youngest just visited Petaloma, N. of San Fran. Liked it alot. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Default Have you heard the term "recession?"

You'd better read Steve Lopez' column (in the LA Times and reprinted in the Chicago Tribune this morning) about the huge numbers of laid-off attorneys here. A law degree no longer guarantees employment. Better come visit first, check out the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California