Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Does living among lots of races IN CALIFORNIA make you more or less conscious?

On the one hand, you're used to seeing different peoples, mostly living in harmony...

On the other, you're conscious of Mexican gangs, Korean shop-keepers, South Asian gas station attendants; face it, there is SOME truth in stereotypes, while in Minnesota such stereotypes aren't as ingrained in daily life.

How do your views differ from your non-Californian friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 AM

378 posts, read 626,368 times
Of course Californians are more race conscious, they see racial differences every single day of their lives. It's gross ignorance (or perhaps blissful ignorance) when White Americans from other states have practically no idea of illegal aliens and mexican gangs.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:55 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Of course Californians are more race conscious, they see racial differences every single day of their lives. It's gross ignorance (or perhaps blissful ignorance) when White Americans from other states have practically no idea of illegal aliens and mexican gangs.
I kind of disagree, depending on the question "compared to which other Americans?" Take, for instance, places like Seattle or Madison Wisconsin -- places that shout from the rooftops about how diverse they are when their "diversity" is, to a large degree, a contrivance. These places think they've perfected racial harmony and tell everyone all about it when in fact they've never been forced to really deal with the issue at all. You'll hear people from these places brag about "well, on my street there's a Chinese couple, a Mexican couple, a Jewish couple... see, we're like, so diverse n' stuff!" Whereas in places that are truly diverse it wouldn't occur to us to even tally the various ethnicities living on our block because racial variations is such a common occurrence around us that there's nothing special about it and it would never occur to us to brag about how many Chinese there are on our block. So I would argue that mostly white but mostly liberal places are intensely race-conscious because they have "diversity envy" whereas mostly white but mostly conservative places, such as a lot of suburban areas, aren't particularly race-conscious at all.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 AM

177 posts, read 706,219 times
I think Californians are the same as the rest of the US. I don't see any difference.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
From what I've been told, people on the east coast never describe someone by race. For example, saying "the black doctor did my check-up" or "the Mexican waitress served us last night" Those phrases are common, at least where I live. So I'd have to say CA is less concious than New York, but still very aware.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I would guess there isn't much difference but with the exception of concerns about illegals, my feeling is, they are probably less concious especially those living in the larger cities. People in small towns and mid sized cities anywhere are more aware of race differences..

Nita

Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
From what I've been told, people on the east coast never describe someone by race. For example, saying "the black doctor did my check-up" or "the Mexican waitress served us last night" Those phrases are common, at least where I live. So I'd have to say CA is less concious than New York, but still very aware.
That might go both ways. They might mention the persons' race because they see them as a member of a race, or because they're not afraid to tiptoe around it. Personally I don't need to mention what race a person is unless it's relevant to the discussion.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I don't think this is so much of a geographical phenomena as it is a generational phenomena. My parents are native Californians and elderly, so every time they talk about someone they make reference to their race. It drives me nuts. They might say something like "Halle Berry is pretty, for a black girl." I've never understood why they can't just say "Halle Berry is pretty" and leave it at that. But they can't, or won't for some reason. I've noticed that this is primarily something that older people do.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I don't think it is that much different in CA.

Racial consciousness is a factor of country/suburban life vs city life IMO, no mater where you are.

People who live in major cities tend to be less race aware IMO, people who live in the sticks tend to look for their own kind and point out those who aren't. I have seen this hold true throughout California, NY, FL and around the world.

Last edited by Mach50; 03-19-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't think this is so much of a geographical phenomena as it is a generational phenomena. My parents are native Californians and elderly, so every time they talk about someone they make reference to their race. It drives me nuts. They might say something like "Halle Berry is pretty, for a black girl." I've never understood why they can't just say "Halle Berry is pretty" and leave it at that. But they can't, or won't for some reason. I've noticed that this is primarily something that older people do.
you are right, we probably do it more than your generation, but not nearly as much as the generations before us (that meaning mine not yours) My step mom, in her early 90s does it all the time..We were raised in a world of segregation. Heck my grandmother, who marched for womens rights and was a staunch democrat didn't even like Italians..I am not going to pretend to be without any prejudice as I am human, but I certainly don't share the views of many my age and older...It isn't just the race issue, it is things like, moms should all stay at home, they should not have careers. I could probably go on forever..I admire the attitude of the younger generations, and yet, some of the views we have (our age) I think are a little better than those of 30 somethings, 40 somethings etc..

Off my high horse for today.. at least for now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California