Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

I know quite a few retired couples that have left the Bay Area as well as some with children living at home...

Most have "Cashed Out" and for some it was the first time they actually had any money to speak of in the Bank.

Others feel they are being driven out by increasing CA regulations and realize by moving out of State that they are maybe buying a 10 to 20 reprieve before the regs hit there new home state.

A couple of reasons I know of personally...

A good friend heats his home primarily with wood and he would become very upset when the Bay Area Air Quality Mgmt District would issue no burn nights... I think his hobby was chopping wood and he was very proud of having very low PGE bills. Last year they moved and now has two wood stoves.

Another acquittance is an avid sportsman... he has 3 boats and all of them have meticulously maintained 2 stroke motors that are now banned at his favorite fishing lakes. It started with the MTBE additive CA forced into the fuel supply.

Politics... Citizens of Oakland have passed bond measures specifically to fund more police officers and it never seems to happen even though we continue to pay for it.

A contractor friend decided to call it quits after 35 years when he learned that he would have to buy all new CA approved Diesel Tractors because it would soon be illegal to operate the ones he has bought and paid for...

I better stop for now, but you get the idea...

Old 02-22-2008, 05:13 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
All the more reason for your kids to go to college, focus on their studies so they can graduate in the top 1/3 of their class, get jobs that pay well in industries that are expanding and learn to manage their finances. They don't have to be "screwed".
It's a good plan...however neither my partner nor myself have college degrees and we both do...really, really well. (BTW I WENT to college...4 of them!)

Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
Exactly!! See thats why it isnt worth it to me. After months of looking for a job in Idaho, I finally had to resort to working in a potato processing plant and even that paid crap! Here I am with two college degrees working in a potato plant, needless to say I was humiliated but you gotta do what you gotta do especially if you need money just to live. But I wasn't living because the wages were so poor I couldn't even afford to get out on my own. You have to work twice has hard here just to make a decent wage in these cheaper states.
This is a common story I hear from people who have moved back or want to.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Well, the poor education can be had all over the US, it is not only in CA. NCLB made sure that all children can be equally poorly educated.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
All you expatriats need to get hopping back to CA. U-Haul rates in that direction are a bargain. CA is broke again. This time in a big way. They need some middle class people to move back there so they can stick it to you with taxes and fees. It wouldn't hurt if a few of you rich guys in the 10.3% bracket moved there too. Be sure to bring your kids. The new school textbooks will be ready for next year. Lots of good new material about homosexuality as a lifestyle equal to married life. And they will be learning all about global warming in the new texts (both new subjects approved by the CA legislature). Of course your kids will turn out to be among the least educated kids of any industrialized (and some non-industrialized) country on earth. No problem - lots of jobs as government workers where brain use is not encouraged.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 AM

I am not sure of your age (no, I am not asking!) but I think this is less true of today's graduating seniors than it was 20-30 years ago. I am not saying someone couldn't make it, but it is much harder.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
It's a good plan...however neither my partner nor myself have college degrees and we both do...really, really well. (BTW I WENT to college...4 of them!)

Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 AM

I am a teacher and I found this to be true in NC. I did get a teaching job, but the pay is literally 50% less with VERY poor retirement and health benefits. Also, they require you to work 22 more days than CA and the work day is longer!

There are no unions in NC for teachers so they can really do whatever they want with you. I ended up leaving the job, thankfully my husband has a decent job, but it makes me sad that I hate the same job here that I loved in CA.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
Exactly!! See thats why it isnt worth it to me. After months of looking for a job in Idaho, I finally had to resort to working in a potato processing plant and even that paid crap! Here I am with two college degrees working in a potato plant, needless to say I was humiliated but you gotta do what you gotta do especially if you need money just to live. But I wasn't living because the wages were so poor I couldn't even afford to get out on my own. You have to work twice has hard here just to make a decent wage in these cheaper states.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:01 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I am a teacher and I found this to be true in NC. I did get a teaching job, but the pay is literally 50% less with VERY poor retirement and health benefits. Also, they require you to work 22 more days than CA and the work day is longer!

There are no unions in NC for teachers so they can really do whatever they want with you. I ended up leaving the job, thankfully my husband has a decent job, but it makes me sad that I hate the same job here that I loved in CA.

Dawn
Interesting you say that DawnW. I am also a Calif. transplant here in N.C watching the lastest saga unfold with the teachers and i had just said that to my husband, the problem in NC is there are no Unions for teachers for any kind of protection.Gorman is from Calif. which was interesting!
MY neighbor is a teacher but not teaching at the moment and she was telling me about the pay, god thats awful.They dont even have "tenure" which surprised me as well.
My husband was in the Union with the Trades in Calif. and here being in the trades, the amount some contractors try to get away with in regards to pay is just a joke!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:23 AM

NC is desperate for teachers! You would think they would do something to retain them!

They pour all sorts of money into recruitment! I can't remember the stats, but most of those recruited from other states don't stay more than a couple of years (mostly newer teachers who want to get experience before moving back to wherever).

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Interesting you say that DawnW. I am also a Calif. transplant here in N.C watching the lastest saga unfold with the teachers and i had just said that to my husband, the problem in NC is there are no Unions for teachers for any kind of protection.Gorman is from Calif. which was interesting!
MY neighbor is a teacher but not teaching at the moment and she was telling me about the pay, god thats awful.They dont even have "tenure" which surprised me as well.
My husband was in the Union with the Trades in Calif. and here being in the trades, the amount some contractors try to get away with in regards to pay is just a joke!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:44 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
NC is desperate for teachers! You would think they would do something to retain them!

They pour all sorts of money into recruitment! I can't remember the stats, but most of those recruited from other states don't stay more than a couple of years (mostly newer teachers who want to get experience before moving back to wherever).

Dawn
Dont you just think sometimes around "here" people just dont get it!!!???
Its actually quite simple more protection, more pay--- but dont use the word "UNION" around here!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:53 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
All you expatriats need to get hopping back to CA. U-Haul rates in that direction are a bargain. CA is broke again. This time in a big way. They need some middle class people to move back there so they can stick it to you with taxes and fees. It wouldn't hurt if a few of you rich guys in the 10.3% bracket moved there too. Be sure to bring your kids. The new school textbooks will be ready for next year. Lots of good new material about homosexuality as a lifestyle equal to married life. And they will be learning all about global warming in the new texts (both new subjects approved by the CA legislature). Of course your kids will turn out to be among the least educated kids of any industrialized (and some non-industrialized) country on earth. No problem - lots of jobs as government workers where brain use is not encouraged.
LOL! I guess I must have some hidden pent-up bitterness too. Who knew?

(I'm one of those 10.3% guys who is leaving CA!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California