Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 PM

8 posts, read 42,507 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]Do you know anyone who wants to move to Nevada? Anywhere in Nevada? I hear every day Californians are moving to Nevada.I do see more and more wealthy people buying big homes on big lands here in Reno area (short sale and foreclosure) and moving their business here to take the tax advantages Nevada offers but, I don't see a big influx. I'd appreciate some feedback, please. [/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Depends on how bad the state tries to tax us all. Many people could just get tired of how the state is heading and move to Nevada or other places. I have seen more move to Arizona though.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM

108 posts, read 266,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenitemen View Post
Do you know anyone who wants to move to Nevada? Anywhere in Nevada? I hear every day Californians are moving to Nevada.I do see more and more wealthy people buying big homes on big lands here in Reno area (short sale and foreclosure) and moving their business here to take the tax advantages Nevada offers but, I don't see a big influx. I'd appreciate some feedback, please.
Yeah, thinking about it. But it won't be just anywhere in NV, has to be within reasonable driving distance to employment (of course). I'm not wealthy and I won't be buying any big homes.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:38 PM

yeah, I hear about people moving to AZ also, I thing the S. CA like AZ and N.Ca like NV better. I am just wondering what you all hear because the newspapers are telling us all sort of things not always true. Property values are still lower in NV but than AZ has some good deals in the more remote areas. We have prices down to under 100K for a home in Reno, what we haven't seen for many years. You can buy a 4500 sf custom home with all fancies on 10 ac for under 600K. So, the value is here.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
You can buy for under $100,000 in the outer areas of the Phoenix Metro. A home in Surprise recently went to auction for a starting price of $45,000 and it had 2,500 square feet of space and was built in 2003. I see homes for sale in Buckeye, AZ in the $60,000 range. Maybe the value is in Reno, but I still need to eat and I don't work from home.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:56 PM

wow, that sounds like gread deals. We have some low priced like that but than they are fixers. One thing for sure, there are some affordable homes right now all over the country.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 PM

251 posts, read 767,483 times
i just moved back from las vegas ... the low cost and taxes is probably the reasons people from california move there.

of course, the economy might be one of the reasons why the influx seems low but when i first moved there in 2006, there were many people from california moving there.

are you interested in moving to nevada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenitemen View Post
Do you know anyone who wants to move to Nevada? Anywhere in Nevada? I hear every day Californians are moving to Nevada.I do see more and more wealthy people buying big homes on big lands here in Reno area (short sale and foreclosure) and moving their business here to take the tax advantages Nevada offers but, I don't see a big influx. I'd appreciate some feedback, please.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Nevada's economy and state government are as dysfunctional as California's.
Not to mention that Las Vegas is right up there with Oakland for crime.

Vegas, unfortunately, chose the model of real estate development combined with large numbers of low wage jobs attracting low skilled workers, and is paying the price. Not to mention the future sustainability of Vegas is very much in question.

During the RE bubble Nevada attracted plenty of Californians. However the bubble's collapse hit Nevada hard.

RIP Sunbelt, it was nice knowing you....

Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 PM

16 posts, read 109,120 times
I am a Southern Californian who moved to Lake Havasu, AZ a little over 3 years ago to open a business and found that most of the people there literally wanted everything for free or below my cost of goods. So, before I went totally broke, I moved to Carson City, NV and have found things much better for opening a biz. Though there is an almost visible open HATRED for Californians who move here, especially when applying for work. Its funny because I now tell people I'm from Arizona and people will actually talk with me & I got a job fairly quickly. I told my Californian neighbor (who has been out of work for over 8 months) to stop listing his CA past on applications and BAM! he has gotten several interviews lately.
To Cali hating Nevadians, I am not ashamed to say that, when my new business opens sometime next year, I will make sure to check out their aps to see where there from, and if they are from Cali, well their ap just might make it higher up in the stack than their Nevadian counterparts. :P

Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I know an entire family of 5 households that all moved from the Bay Area to Iron Mountain area outside Las Vegas... One of the sisters worked in a medical office and another was a receptionist.

The Father wanted all his kids and their families to move and helped with the down payment.

They bought very nice homes, some with pools and lots of upgrades.

All of the kids lost their homes and are now renting... work did not pan out either so the whole episode was a bust...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: