Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:40 AM

99 posts, read 351,020 times

Advertisements

My brother and I are planning a trip to CA. I desperately need some good insider advice on where we could go for some good surfing conditions. We have only surfed a few times in Cabo so we need somewhere beginner
friendly where we can rent boards and have some elbow room (during the week at least)! We would like to be able to stay "on the beach" hotel wise, ($150-300 per night) but any hot tips on good deals on or near the beach are fine (pool will do if price is right). Also skateparks would be nice but most important we just want a nice place where we can enjoy a few days of surfing and nice scenery.

We are thinking between May and August, so any suggestions on the best
time to go are also appreciated. Best airports etc. Thanks for any info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 01:07 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
San Onofre, just south of Dana Point, CA is a great beginners' spot. Killer Dana is a great surf shop in Dana Point that can probably help you out with rentals, lessons, etc. If you're a gal, try Girl in the Curl surf shop in Dana Point...it rocks!

IMHO opinion the best place to 'stay on the beach' is Laguna Beach. I have stayed at Surf and Sand Hotel as well as Inn at Laguna Beach--both just rock! And, well, there's places that are cheaper like Seacliff, but it's not on the beach. Nothing like the surf rockin' you to sleep.

Huntington Beach has a skatepark, but I've never skated there...There's a Vans Skatepark at the Block (a mall) in Orange too.

IMHO, the best fish tacos are at Wahoo's...There's many of them in Orange County...Laguna just remodeled theirs last fall

I looove shopping in Laguna and Huntington...great clothes and surf garb there...

I'm not a local yet, but workin' on it and I visit frequently...but still, I'm not an expert.

Enjoy! I wanted to go on your trip when I read the subject line Hee hee! I was just there February and last November

Hugz,
L

Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Huntington Beach has a skatepark, but I've never skated there...There's a Vans Skatepark at the Block (a mall) in Orange too.
HB has 2 parks... they are a laughable joke... no obstacle bigger than 18 inches tall! Not only are they horrible but they are packed with kids. Vans Orange is amazing, Etnies Lake Forest is amazing, Laguna Niguel is excellent too.

wish I could give you some recs on the surf but I don't surf... ;-)

Old 04-05-2007, 01:53 PM

Default That's it!

That's it, that is just what I needed !! Your awesome Angel Bear..I will look into those things! My bro and I are in our very early thirties, still young at heart and in good shape so we're trying to make a So Cal pilgrimage before we are too old and/or married etc. He is single so you "can" come if you want
to. Just kidding, but you seem very cute with your hee hee's and hugz.
I appreciate your insight !!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it comin'

Old 04-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Default cool

Thanks Sassberto ! Nice to see people skating after 30! That is probably more common in CA than MO obviously, but I do know a few still rippin it.
Parks have came and gone here over the years, but in the last 5-10 years
they have gradually put in a ton of decent concrete parks. Thanks for the
info!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:03 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataman1 View Post
Thanks Sassberto ! Nice to see people skating after 30! That is probably more common in CA than MO obviously, but I do know a few still rippin it.
Parks have came and gone here over the years, but in the last 5-10 years
they have gradually put in a ton of decent concrete parks. Thanks for the
info!
Good to here they are pouring the 'crete... it is happening nationally.

Still rolling at 30+... out here in CA we get whole crews of 40+ dudes, the bowlriding scene is making a big comeback out here.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Huntington is still pretty good surfing.
We like Wahoo's, but we love Taco Surf for fish tacos, happy hour a buck a piece. They have shrimp tacos now as well for a buck fifty.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:24 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
Quote:
That's it, that is just what I needed !! Your awesome Angel Bear..I will look into those things! My bro and I are in our very early thirties, still young at heart and in good shape so we're trying to make a So Cal pilgrimage before we are too old and/or married etc. He is single so you "can" come if you want
to. Just kidding, but you seem very cute with your hee hee's and hugz.
I appreciate your insight !!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it comin'
Hey, I'm in my 30's too...so is my hubby He's the surfer...I'm still not 100 percent there yet--I'm still overcoming my deep water fears.

We both love skatin'.

Hey, Sassberto, that rocks...Maybe hubby and I will have a pool we can empty in our backyard once we move and invite you guys over I make killer brownies--Ha ha ha! I'm a flat-lander myself...not too much air for me! LOL

I hope some of the "locals" chime in about more places to surf for you, dataman. I think Doheny is supposed to be a good beginners' spot. IMHO Huntington Pier area is "locals only," but there's beach further down from there that seems not as "intense" if you catch my drift.

Talk to some surf shops and check on-line. I have always been amazed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the surf shops in the OC...people are very cool and will talk to you. I forget the website, but I think surfline or something like that will tell you conditions, etc. Laguna Beach has fast breaks so it's harder for beginners IMHO. Well, I'm wimpy and would not surf there LOL. The Wedge seems too rough for beginners too...so I wouldn't go there to surf either.

I think I'm going to stick to land sports...I always forget the difference btn. dolphins and sharks Sorry, my bad humor. I read someplace that So. Cal. has on average only 100 great white sharks, so no worries.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:19 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
There are sooo many large concrete skate parks in Orange County.. Costa Mesa, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Vans, Lake Forest(huge), RSM, HB, San Clemente, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Irvine, Anaheim Hills, and a few more..

try looking into www.socalskateparks.com for directions and photos..

or www.vans.com for pad requirements, fees, and session hours..

or www.concretedisciples.com for the biggest directory.

www.surfline.com for surf spots, conditions, and webcams.
Huntington Beach an San Clemente are two of the better places in Orange County for surfing. Angel Bear did a good job of describing the various spots in her post above!

I recommend flying into either John Wayne(preferably) or LAX. San Diego is another option especially if you will be staying in SC. Wahoo's is known for it's fish tacos with a skate/surf ambience. You may want to check out their location in downtown HB or on Camino De Los Mares in SC. Good luck!

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 04-07-2007 at 03:31 AM..

Old 04-07-2007, 06:51 AM

Default cool

Just what I needed, thanks newportbeachmostwanted...great info, thanks
to you guys I have what I need to feel comfortable to start planning..Big help, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes, still not sure on dates yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California