Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times

Advertisements

Well,

I love California for so many reasons, some which are:

The beaches, from San Diego to Crecent City, this is one beautiful stretch of land. My favorite is Big Sur which I now am able to live close to.

The mountains, The High Sierra, John Muir Trail, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Mammoth Mountain, Bishop Canyon, Tahoe, etc...

The Redwoods, I especialy enjoy the Northern CA coastal Redwoods.

I love the the multicultural nature of the state with a number of international cities. I work with people form all over the country and world. It helps keep life interesting.

The multicultural food and options are excellent. All the fresh produce year round is also awesome.

Proximity to family is important. We live in Monterey County which is Central Cal and have relatives in both SoCal and NorCal.

I like the innovative spirit. People seem willing to think outside the box in business more here, more willing to take chances and try something new.

I also enjoying having top notch Universities and Medical Centers like Stanford close by.

I like that I can experience prolonged Spring and Fall. And that I there are wild poppies still growing in our area along with maple leaves falling.

I love that I can go to Yosemite and enjoy snow for a weekend. Then come home and go to the beach in shorts and flip flops. This type of climatic and geographic variety is unsurpassed.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:29 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Two words: It's home.

I think most people have a special attachment to where they grew up, no matter if it was a mansion in Beverly Hills or a South Central LA project. After living in both Northern and Southern California, I finally realized why so many people have decided to call this place home DESPITE all its drawbacks.

My parents made their American dream come true here, despite some hiccups. Millions of immigrants have made their American dream come true here, in the eye of some of the most scenic places in the world and a climate that most places would dream of.

Of course, those are all long, played out cliches, but I believe that there is something for everyone here if you are willing to make the hard sacrifices to live here. I'm not a rich man, nor a famous man, but I enjoy every moment that I'm here.

I hope, in my lifetime, to give back to the state and taxpayers that have given so much to me.

*NOTE: I still haven't been to the Lost Coast, NE California north of I-80, Mono, and Inyo counties. Hope to make it up there soon!

Old 10-29-2010, 06:57 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times
I love the coastline. Especially the central coast.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,029 times
I live in Newcastle, UK and I would do anything to live in California so all those who wanna leave..don't!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:55 AM

43 posts, read 178,472 times
I love California because it's home to me! I'm from Southern California and I love it here! We got the beaches (Malibu, Santa Monica, Newport, Laguna, Huntington, San Diego) where we can go and surf or soak up under the sun, the mountains (Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead) where we can go snowboarding in the winter or hiking during the summer, we got lakes we can take the boat out to, the desert (Palm Springs) we can go during spring for a mini vacation, we got national parks like Mammoth Mountain. I love everything about Cali. San Diego, Orange County, LA, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Cruz. We got the best weather all year long, the prettiest girls, great fashion, and some bomb mexican food. What's not to love about Cali? And to all those haters who say California is full of fake people, you have not met a Real native Californian cause they're one of the most laid back people. Plus all those stuck up LA people you meet are outsiders (aspiring models/actress/singer/whatever...) who come to pursuit a dream.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
living in the town I was raised in.
This is probably 70% of the reason right here. It feels like home.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
the entire, infinite universe condensed into 163,696 sq mi ...
(okay -- not quite)

Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
It hasn't been home for a while. Last place I lived was on California/Jones on Nob Hill in SF. Since then Ive lived in NY, Canada, Australia and now New England.

But here's my list:
1. Great weather
2. Beautiful beaches (even if some in the north are too cold to swim in)
3. Finding a deserted beach in Big Sur to read a book
4. Wine
5. The Sierras.
6. Excellent universities.. brainy people.

Basically the diversity of the landscape and people. Not too many Texas type bigots/rednecks.

One of my trips to SF a co-worker mentioned that I had referred to California as "home" when I mentioned where I was going for the holidays ("I'm going home for Thanksgiving"). I was surprised I still call it home after all these years.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
3. Finding a deserted beach in Big Sur to read a book

What's a "book"?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:05 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times
People are CRAZY to move out of California. Except for the pacific NW, rest of the US SUCKS big time. Especially DO NOT MOVE TO TEXAS...the people out there are psychos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California