Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are lots of these posted but before I start wading my through them I thought I'd start by asking advice and opinions!

I'm a 21 year old student about to start a year at college here in the UK. My course finishes June 2010 and I am seriously considering a gap year before I go to university. I've always wanted to visit America and have been thinking about my options for 2010 and I would much rather than traveling around be settled in one place and earning some money towards uni instead of spending what I don't have glob trotting!
My plan so far is to move over to the USA (I need your help on where) work as an Au Pair for a year and then potter back home to the UK and do "the uni thing."
So the bit I'm asking for help is: 1) where? I've already decided that wherever I go I would like it to be by the coast and ideally not freezing cold. I've sort of set my heart on California, having fallen in love with Point Sur. Obviously I'll have to go where I'm offered a job but where would you recommend I aim for that's not far from the Sea? And if not California where else along the coat there would be a nice place to spend a year?
I'm after somewhere that is friendly, warm, not hugely expensive (although I shan't be paying rent when I move as I will live with the family... I hope!) but a wealthy town, because,lets face it, I will be more likely to get a decent wage there!

I know that's quite a long blurb to read through so thank you for doing so! Anything you have to say will be much appreciated the good the bad and the ugly =p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California