Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 12,283 times

Advertisements

trust me these aren't my first choices of where to move but they are the only options right now. I am going to likely get a management postion at any one of these cities. Just a short history, we are a family of three, the third being a month old baby. We currently live in Redding and I don't care for it here so the less redneck and conservative the better. Or am I fighting a losing battle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouse4aname View Post
trust me these aren't my first choices of where to move but they are the only options right now. I am going to likely get a management postion at any one of these cities. Just a short history, we are a family of three, the third being a month old baby. We currently live in Redding and I don't care for it here so the less redneck and conservative the better. Or am I fighting a losing battle?
wow, of course Marysville is military and probably not what you are looking for, Oroville will be small town as well, which probably means redneck as you put it, although I am not sure you really have been in true Redneck country cause Redding is not what many would call redneck land. That leave Paradise. It is a good mixture with some carry over from Chico and the university but also lots of retired, conservative types. If I had a choice I would opt for Paradise anytime. If you are really looking for divesity and liberalism, yes, you are fighting a losing battle. Maybe you need to start concintrating on places like Sonoma and Napa Valley.

Nita

Old 08-01-2009, 10:52 PM

341 posts, read 689,058 times
That's a no brainer, Paradise wins hands down

Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Basically, from north to south, the whole inland valley corridor is pretty 'redneck', one way or another. It's just a difference of what "brand" of redneck you're talking about. Also, historically, this where most of the Depression-era "Oakies" re-settled from the Dust Bowl, and they brought with them much of the values that we still associate with "redneck culture" today.

So up towards Yreka and the OR/CA border (aka "the State of Jefferson"), it seems to tend more towards the "Libertarian/Conservative leave-me-the-hell-alone" types. But then as you get down into the Redding area, where there's more ranchin' & ropin', you'll find more of the self-styled "cowboy" brand of redneck (complete with the K-Mart cowboy hat), even if all they really do is work at Taco Bell or install cable TV!

Farther south it's still pretty conservative, though more "agricultural" than "ranching". But even in the nearby foothills in my own neck of the woods, Paradise (and Oroville), it seems to be more of the "hillbilly" types, along with alot of Fundamentalism. And there are places around here that would easily rival the deep South for conservatism. Chico of course has the university, which helps a bit with the arts & progressivism, but it still ain't no Berkeley!

Then by the time you get down to Yuba City, Marysville, etc., these are increasingly just becoming bedroom communities for the Sacramento area ('cuz they're more affordable). So while not exactly "liberal", at least the redneck types start to become part of the typical "urban/suburban" mix, along with yuppie commuters of all types, chicanos, other minorities, etc.

If you really want more "liberal", it seems you have to go out towards the coast, but then the cost of living is obviously much higher, and it has its own problems besides (traffic, crowding, crime, etc.). Nuthin's ever free...!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,589 times
Paradise is scenic, Chico has stuff to do. The other towns are pretty basic.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
That's a no brainer, Paradise wins hands down

Yup.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM

The OP is looking for "less redneck and conservative than Redding". Paradise is many fine things (scenic, etc.), but "less redneck and conservative" ain't among them.

At least not judging from all the monster 4x4's, Jesus stickers, and cars with huge decals saying things like "Hillbilly Girl" across the windshield...!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The OP is looking for "less redneck and conservative than Redding". Paradise is many fine things (scenic, etc.), but "less redneck and conservative" ain't among them.

At least not judging from all the monster 4x4's, Jesus stickers, and cars with huge decals saying things like "Hillbilly Girl" across the windshield...!
My parents lived there for many years and we almost moved there. it is certainly more liberal than the other areas the OP mentioned. Yes, it is true the area isn't liberal by any means, but it is more so than most of the area. There are a number of professors from Chico who live there and some students as well, thus the liberal culture plays a role.

Nita

Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My parents lived there for many years and we almost moved there. it is certainly more liberal than the other areas the OP mentioned. Yes, it is true the area isn't liberal by any means, but it is more so than most of the area. There are a number of professors from Chico who live there and some students as well, thus the liberal culture plays a role.

Nita
Nita.... I don't disagree that there are many "progressive" elements and individuals in the Paradise area (I are one). But the same could be said of Redding (for example they built that beautiful & innovative Sundial Bridge).

Yes, there are an increasing number of folks from Chico (redneck or otherwise) moving to Paradise. Housing is also way more affordable than in Chico. But same as with people, there's a big difference between how places (and old-timers) view themselves, and how others (especially newcomers) may experience them.

In fact, I think that's part of the problem, that so much of Paradise seems to be living in some sort of "yesteryear fantasy". Meanwhile the reality is that, all the old-timers are dying off or moving on, "low-rent" types are replacing them 'cuz it's cheap, and all the local businesses are gradually being boarded up, only to be replaced by yet another Walmart.

Dunno, maybe we need a Chico/Paradise thread here.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Nita.... I don't disagree that there are many "progressive" elements and individuals in the Paradise area (I are one). But the same could be said of Redding (for example they built that beautiful & innovative Sundial Bridge).

Yes, there are an increasing number of folks from Chico (redneck or otherwise) moving to Paradise. Housing is also way more affordable than in Chico. But same as with people, there's a big difference between how places (and old-timers) view themselves, and how others (especially newcomers) may experience them.

In fact, I think that's part of the problem, that so much of Paradise seems to be living in some sort of "yesteryear fantasy". Meanwhile the reality is that, all the old-timers are dying off or moving on, "low-rent" types are replacing them 'cuz it's cheap, and all the local businesses are gradually being boarded up, only to be replaced by yet another Walmart.

Dunno, maybe we need a Chico/Paradise thread here.
thanks for the update, we haven't been in Paradise for about 2 years. We visit my step mom, in a nursing home in Chico yearly but this past year we didn't even drive through Paradise as we were in a hurry. I guess I am just comparing it with the other towns. I also think, if Op finds Redding too conservative and Redneck, none of these areas will work.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California