Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,427 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Stockton. What makes it a good place to raise a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:02 PM

314 posts, read 935,840 times
I dont think many people think stockton is a great place to raise kids except most of the people who already live there and love it.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Raise yer kids ina rv out at Camanche Lake south shore & teach them how to fish.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:46 PM

257 posts, read 407,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSN-YAZ View Post
I'm considering a move to Stockton. What makes it a good place to raise a family?
Are you an illegal Mexican? If not, I don't know why you'd consider a move to Stockton.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:17 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
not a good place to raise kids. too much crime

Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 AM

8 posts, read 22,989 times
I was born and raised in Stockton. I'm sorry our town has a bad rap, but I think it's perfect for our family. There are great schools, if you choose the right district. My son got into the lottery at a local Charter school that scored 850 in the API last year. All of the families that attend this school are very active in their childrens education. I know every parent that has a child there all are great families.
Depending on your children's ages there are many different activities for them. The kids museum is a favorite of my little ones, Mickie's Grove and Oak Grove's nature center are places we frequent in the summer. Oak Grove has a disc golf course that my teen likes, there's also trout fishing there with tournaments at times. The Great Valley Serpentarium and WOW museum are in Lodi, 10-15 min from where I am.
I belong to a playgroup and me and other mother's meet up around diffrent parks, library's and each other's houses. Some have lived here all their lives, some just moved here. You are going to be a good parent no matter where your child grows up.
Not everyone is an illegal allien or hispanic, I am neither, nor am I white. I think Stockton is a very diverse town, I don't feel like I either stick out or blend in, everyone is different. I like that my kids are growing up amongst that level of diversity. It suits us fine.
Crime has not been a factor for me. I used to commute to Elk Grove and when people found out I lived in Stockton the first question they would ask me was," Have you been in any drive-by's?" I thought it was funny. No...no drive-by's, but do get an alarm for your car. Break-ins can happen aywhere, anytime to any type of car. Yes, my car has been broken into, years ago in an apartment complex and after that I just left my doors unlocked and left nothing it, I never had that problem again. Your car is safer in a garage though.
I go on daily walks through my neighborhood and also my friends neighborhood's and people are out and friendly, they say "hi" to you. It's sort of normal.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:47 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
Quote:
Are you on crack?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,833 times
Be aware of the crime rate here in Stockton. I moved to Stockton due to my job but will leave whenever there is an opportunity. I recently being 'robbed' three times. It was not a really big things but it makes me thinking moving away ASAP. Here it is: first, my vehicle registration was stolen by a crook - then by the DMV, I have paid to get another sticker (which I already paid yearly) - then by the Stockton PD, I have to paid another $10 for proving that I was a victim.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 8,040 times
Oak Grove has a disc golf course that my teen likes, there's also trout fishing there with tournaments at times. The Great Valley Serpentarium and WOW museum are in Lodi, 10-15 min from where I am.
I belong to a playgroup and me and other mother's meet up around diffrent parks, library's and each other's houses. Some have lived here all their lives, some just moved here. You are going to be a good parent no matter where your child grows up.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 PM

609 posts, read 1,259,962 times
Quote:
nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California