Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,685 times

Advertisements

Ok, guys. Can anyone help me with this?

We are trying to figure out finances with moving to Bakersfield. What are your property taxes and homeowners insurance rates like? Can $250k buy a decent 4 BR house in a good neighborhood with good schools? We just have so much to figure out and need all the help we can get. I have done research online at house listings and we have a call into a recommended realtor for help, but anything you guys can help with would be super great. We need to make a decision this week and my husband has two current offers (one in Houston and one in Bakersfield). We need to figure out if we can make the Bakersfield one work. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:59 PM

26 posts, read 194,004 times
Ok, I'll just throw this in. Most responses have been favorable...Bakersfield kind of has a stigma about it to Californians.
It's known as the armpit of the state.
Having spent quite a bit of time there, I concur.
I know people that live there and are quite happy...I avoid it.
Just giving you all the info.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:28 AM

I appreciate that feedback! I guess it depends on what you are used to, you know? We live in Houston, and most people have very negative things to say about Houston and Texas in general. Last night, my mother in law was saying such negative things about Houston and Texas that I wanted to cry! But, we like it here, so I guess it is one of those things that you have to judge for yourself. But, the more opinions we can get the better!

Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 PM

122 posts, read 365,660 times
I would say in this economy go for any good job. That being said I have lived in Bakersfield 7 years. I am in my 30's, college student, married 10 years with a 10 year old and 5 year old (boys). Yes there are better parts of town I suppose. Most people talk about The North West and South West as better parts of town. The housing in plentiful right now. With kids, a pool is a MUST for the summer, not an option. Public pools are OK but a bother to get to. Schoold differ greatly, look at test scores etc. Beleive it or not rich areas have drugs too and snobbism.

Overall, the people here are down to earth, mostly conservative. Lots of hipanic filed workers. There are parts of town such as the North East that are older and considered the Hispanic part of town. Oildale is the white part of town but older and gets a bad rep for drugees and white trash types that steal etc. Anyone who is not from Bakersfield would know to stay away just from how that part of town looks.

With little ones, just get a house that has nice walkable streets for bikes etc. The summers are so so hot but dry. A/C is a must. I really have little negative to say just that this town is not the entertainment hub. It is sparce. There are some good parks etc but if you are used to big city entertainment, you will miss it. As for Tehachapi, that is only 45 minutes away and so pretty to visit, I lived there too. Tehachapi is inconvenient with kids because all doctors and dentists are in Bakersfield so it's a drive. The snow can make the work commute really difficult and if your husband needs to be at work daily, this can become a problem in the winter, they will every now and then close the highway. So he will be stuck in Bakersfield for the night. Lots of people will commute from Tehachapi to Bakersfield for several reasons: Tehachapi has no pollution, less crime, more small town feel. Bakersfield's air has given me Asthma and I am pretty tough. It is a pollution that comes from the highway and the big rigs that commute on it, the pollution gets trapped in the basin. Speaking of kids, this can be an issue at school, they will have red flag days when the kids cannot even go out to recess due to the air. This might be something for you to think about. Another thing is the air out here often smells very foul. Us natives no longer notice it. You can go out and be taken over by the smell of dairy farms, oil fields or just some strange foul smells in the air. I have never experienced this anywhere else. That is not to say this town isn't nice, just to inform you.

The restaurants are ok but no great sushi I miss that. Overall, if you are comfortable with all the things i just described you should be ok. And yes, LA is a 2 hour drive away. So the big city is not so far away for other entertainment etc

Good luck to you and your family

Old 11-02-2009, 01:10 PM

371 posts, read 1,823,277 times
Everything else aside, I thought if there was one good thing about Bakersfield its the regional location: its a few hours from everywhere: the Sierras, the ocean, LA, and the Bay Area. In my mind the best thing abut it would be the nearness to the Sierras and the infinite forms of outdoor recreation that offers. However, this would not be enough for me to move there.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:35 PM

I just wanted to update you all. My husband ended up with three job offers. Two in Houston and one in Bakersfield. He accepted one of the Houston offers yesterday, so we will be staying put. We just aren't ready to leave our home here yet. But, I do thank you for all of the help you gave re: Bakersfield and California in general.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM

405 posts, read 1,346,062 times
Lived in Bako... visited Houston. Bakersfield lacks some culture but it's getting better. It doesn't approach 100... it surpasses it for much of the summer but there's almost zero humidity. Takes some adapting but you just don't play outside at 3 in the afternoon. The air quality is pretty bad but that's getting to be standard in CA. They get quite a bit of fog and the occasional dust storm. It's not spread out like Houston and I see that as a plus. You also don't have to deal with smokers.. I remember that being a problem in TX.

The schools can easily be researched. Bakersfield used to be called 'the armpit' of CA. It's gotten better but there are some hillbilly areas around it like Oildale. Having said that, it's been compared to Texas/Oklahoma. In fact, it was the Oklahomans that came out this way for the oil. Other than the humidity, Bakersfield reminds me a lot of rural Texas. However, your money goes a bit further in Sugar Land than it does out here. But, if you live in SL, you should live pretty well in Bako. Just ask David Carr... he grew up there.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:27 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Having said that, it's been compared to Texas/Oklahoma. In fact, it was the Oklahomans that came out this way for the oil. Other than the humidity, Bakersfield reminds me a lot of rural Texas.
You are certainly not the first to suggest that Bakersfield has the same feel/vibe as Texas or Oklahoma. I have heard this for many years. In fact, it was many years ago that I heard the old adage that "Bakersfield is the only city in Oklahoma west of the Rockies."

Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 AM

14 posts, read 92,239 times
Default Swopoe ..... Calll me on Monday

Hi Swopoe,

Call me on Monday, I am a realtor in Bakersfield and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Jason Thoele
Bakersfield Real Estate, Bakersfield Homes for Sale, Watson Touchstone, Jason Thoele, Realtor

Old 11-22-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,847 times
I have to agree with you on Houston humidity. I live here in Liberty right now. Me and my family are moving towards Bakersfield in June due to family problems on my husband side. I always wanted to get out of this state. Anyways, during your visit, use your senses that you built up here if you don't get any helpful advise. I grew up in North Shore, so I don't want to raise my children in that kind of area that I grew up in myself. I am tyring to find a good area to move to that has some good job opportunities myself. My husband is a car mechanic and I am about to have my degree in computer technology. Good luck on the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California