Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

That's a good way to put it. And look at the condition that California is in because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I'm a liberal-leaning moderate and plan to leave within 1-3 years. California is governed by extremists on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Quote:
Poor native born used to do those jobs. Now, poor native born are on welfare, at the ever expanding government teat, meanwhile, we import the labor they used to comprise. A great racket for the government-SEIU complex.
On the central coast, beginning about 1895 Japanese laborers worked the fields. They were the primary field labor until Pearl Harbor. There were some white laborers, okies, during the 1930's but the predominate labor force was Japanese. I have boxes of old photos of the family farm, taken from 1912 on. There are no white faces doing field labor.

In 1942 due to the internment of the Japanese a severe labor shortage insued. The Bracero program was instituted. These were seasonal laborers who came from Mexico and returned to Mexico. There was slow but steady immigration from Mexico to the US after 1942.

The bracero program ended in 1964, with the same result as the 1942 internment. The need for labor caused the growers, who by now included the former Japanese laborers, who bought farms, and the former okies who also bought farms, to hire anyone who showed up. This included legal and illegal Mexicans and some whites, primarily highschool boys, I and all my friends worked in the fields in the summer, as strong young boys and men, working piece work, we could not do near the work the Mexican laborers did. Today you won't find whites at all in the fields.

Today, despite mechanization the need for labor is so great, there are not enough US citizens to fill the needed labor pool.

So, illegals do it.

The statement that the poor native born are on welfare etc rather than working the fields, does not indicate a high level of understanding of the history or current status of field labor needs. At least, on the Central Coast, the primary produce of vegetables in California.

Last edited by Clarks; 11-03-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 AM

302 posts, read 864,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalist09 View Post
Yeah, the laws can be encroaching but there is no other red state on the water in the southwest!
Pretty specific water locale; you could consider Galveston Island, TX (still on the ocean and red state)?

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

Today, despite mechanization the need for labor is so great, there are not enough US citizens to fill the needed labor pool.

So, illegals do it.

The statement that the poor native born are on welfare etc rather than working the fields, does not indicate a high level of understanding of the history or current status of field labor needs. At least, on the Central Coast, the primary produce of vegetables in California.
If there is a shortage of US citizens to fill the labor pool, why is a US citizen like myself having a hard time finding menial work at fast food, in a field, an office, or anywhere else?

And when they said that "poor native born are on welfare" I think they were referring to the "anchor" babies that illegal Mexicans come over here and have so they can claim the right to stay because of their children (now US citizens). It's a crap concept, but since the kids are technically US citizens and we won't separate a parent/child, that's the predicament California finds itself in.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:39 AM

A. I am guessing you have not tried field labor, let me help you train. go outside at 6:00 AM. Stand, now bend over touch your toes, you can bend your knees, make a cutting motion with your hands, stand up, make a handing off motion with your hands, bend over, repeat process for nine hours. For more realism, do this for 6 days straight.

Let me know where you are, and I can get you in touch with a local labor contractor, you can talk to him about work.

The prior poster referred to historical native born, that is, in years past, the problem is, didn't happen much.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
If there is a shortage of US citizens to fill the labor pool, why is a US citizen like myself having a hard time finding menial work at fast food, in a field, an office, or anywhere else?

And when they said that "poor native born are on welfare" I think they were referring to the "anchor" babies that illegal Mexicans come over here and have so they can claim the right to stay because of their children (now US citizens). It's a crap concept, but since the kids are technically US citizens and we won't separate a parent/child, that's the predicament California finds itself in.
So you would drive yourself to the central valley and pick produce for minimum wage for 14 hours.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
pick produce for minimum wage for 14 hours.
It is often piecework, take a break to drink water, lose money, take a break to hit the porta potty, lose money, take a break to stretch, lose money. The packing trailer moves steadily through the field, it doesn't stop, you stop, it leaves you behind, you lose your job.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
A. I am guessing you have not tried field labor, let me help you train. go outside at 6:00 AM. Stand, now bend over touch your toes, you can bend your knees, make a cutting motion with your hands, stand up, make a handing off motion with your hands, bend over, repeat process for nine hours. For more realism, do this for 6 days straight.

Let me know where you are, and I can get you in touch with a local labor contractor, you can talk to him about work.

The prior poster referred to historical native born, that is, in years past, the problem is, didn't happen much.
I am slightly disabled with a back problem, but I have had some experience with, if not field labor, property (inside and outside) labor.

And by the way, having the low level medical experience I've had, I've spent several days straight bending down, standing up (ensuring I don't let me knees touch the floor during this), stretching, walking, running, sweating, turning people, wiping their asses, collecting and disposing of their excrement, and more. You can use your imagination, I can't go into all of it in polite company. Realism.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
am slightly disabled with a back problem,
If you are a field laborer, the fact that you are slightly disabled with a back problem don't mean a hoot, you will still work in the fields. I recommend you read "Breaking Through" It will illuminate your world.

It appears that based on your work experience and inability to find work that you need to up your skills. My kid lives in Roseville, he has not finished college, just got a manager training position with a large company, pays well. My other kid is 20 years old, manages a restaurant, limited college, and is pulling in about $3500 a month.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
I am slightly disabled with a back problem, but I have had some experience with, if not field labor, property (inside and outside) labor.

And by the way, having the low level medical experience I've had, I've spent several days straight bending down, standing up (ensuring I don't let me knees touch the floor during this), stretching, walking, running, sweating, turning people, wiping their asses, collecting and disposing of their excrement, and more. You can use your imagination, I can't go into all of it in polite company. Realism.
I have a friend that did that kind of hospital work for quite a few years.
You're to be commended ... honestly ... that takes courage as i see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California