Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:13 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
This is the new republic of california. 100 watt light bulbs do suck up a lil power but what business is it of the weasles in sacramento ? Unless the state is paying your electric bill they need to **** off & get on a one way coach plane ride to afganistan. I know for a fact the tax payers will gladly pay the airfare. Oh....no meals in flight. Just stale bread & warm water.
Frankly, you are the minority in California & if anyone should move out of the state [ie.Afghanistan] if should be reactionaries & the ignorant. You will never be happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Did you forget the rolling black outs? The state is desperate at this point.
I remember in the good old days when the power companies in California such as Pacific Gas and Electric were building power plants left and right. The idea was the more energy you used, the more money the power companies made. PG&E even had TV commercials encouraging people to go out and buy a new fridge, dryer, dishwasher, a second or third TV, or whatever.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,823,308 times
I applaud California for making the environment and energy conservation a priority. I wish we could see more of this kind of legislation throughout the country. The U.S. is the biggest energy squanderer in the world, and people don't like to change their ways unless forced to. That is something we should be ashamed of when we have the resources to make conservation possible. "Waste not, want not" seems a foreign concept to America (and the developed world) in this day and age.

Being from Oregon, I can't say that I absolutely love California, but I do respect the state for its environmental leadership. One small step at a time...

Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 PM

364 posts, read 611,380 times
Very small minority to believe in choice? Don't think so. Next national election should prove me right. I thought the lefties believed in choice. Oh that's right, it doesn't include school choice or the choice to make economic decisions.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
I just knew this thread had legs.
It started out slow, but just like a snowball rolling down a snowy slope...

Old 11-19-2009, 06:52 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,022,206 times
I don't agree with this legislation, for one reason. They're trying to enforce the wrong thing. Singling out TVs is only going to hurt California businesses, like the article says. I wouldn't be surprised to see Best Buy start to leave the area. If Circuit City hadn't gone under, this would have done it for sure.

In my opinion, the legislature should have focused on energy conservation in general, rather than one specific application. There are people running older appliances, older A/C units, older lighting fixtures and bulbs, etc. Then you have Rancho Santa Fe, where just about everyone has streams of lights along their walkways and under their pool. Then you've got the Christmas nuts who have to plaster their house with more Christmas lights than are necessary. People who can never be "hot enough" and blast th heater instead of bundling up. THOSE are the people the law needs to apply to. Your air conditioner eats up more energy than your TV would if you left the thing on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a year.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:56 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
This is only for TV's sold after the date in 2011, not existing sets. I saw an interview with a manager of a large TV store, and he said most sets sold today alread meet the new giudelines, and all sets manufactured next year will meet the new rules.
So the subject isn't worth discussing. it's mute point....

Old 11-19-2009, 06:59 PM

364 posts, read 611,380 times
The hypocrisy just drives me nuts. They want to limit my choice of TV set, light bulbs and a zillion other things to do what? Save the earth from non existent global warming. Then what do their leaders do? Nancy Pelosi won't fly commercial for her many trips from DC to SF each month. She even refused the offer of a military plane because it was to small and would need a fuel stop. She threatened to cut military spending if they didn't give her something like a 737 to fly back and forth. This is the leader of the global warming lemonade drinkers. Al Gore is worse with his gigantic house and Gulfstream jet. But we should't be able to choose our TV set.

Tell ya what lefties. You want to reduce energy use? Let's shut down all those wineries in NoCal along with the Starbucks. Their products do not serve any purpose. I know you love to sip the wine together while plotting your next push against our freedoms. And imagine the energy saved by killing all those car trips to Starbucks. Lose a few jobs? So what. Put them on a government dole where they will learn to thank you for the few crumbs. And tell them they should feel food about saving the planet.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times
Quote:
Then what do their leaders do? Nancy Pelosi won't fly commercial for her many trips from DC to SF each month. She even refused the offer of a military plane because it was to small and would need a fuel stop. She threatened to cut military spending if they didn't give her something like a 737 to fly back and forth. This is the leader of the global warming lemonade drinkers. Al Gore is worse with his gigantic house and Gulfstream jet. But we should't be able to choose our TV set.
utter baloney, try literacy, it works very well, it is how some of us stopped being cavemen

Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Did you forget the rolling black outs? The state is desperate at this point.
Just make sure California doesn't build anymore power plants as the states population doubles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California