Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

With the economy going up again, I'm looking at getting new jobs in the coming months.

And as I negotiate my compensation, I would like to know if 150K is good yearly income to survive in Cali, I mean, anywhere in Cali, even in SF, which is one of the places I might most probably end up in.

I'm presently unmarried and I would just be having expenses around apartment, groceries, other stuff.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 62,343 times
SF is soooo expensive but with a solid income of 150k a year you can do it. I would suggest living just outside the city. I lived in the Bay Area most of my young life and there is so much going on and so much available to you, but the outer areas are much nicer and a lot less expensive. Oakland is very artsy and trendy with lots of really great restaurants and entertainment. Much hipper than SF, which tends to be quite touristy. There are great outlying places that have a very rural feel too. Half Moon bay has nice beaches and a great art community and its just over the hill. Your money will go farther in these places, so you can live much nicer.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone_girl View Post
SF is soooo expensive but with a solid income of 150k a year you can do it. I would suggest living just outside the city. I lived in the Bay Area most of my young life and there is so much going on and so much available to you, but the outer areas are much nicer and a lot less expensive. Oakland is very artsy and trendy with lots of really great restaurants and entertainment. Much hipper than SF, which tends to be quite touristy. There are great outlying places that have a very rural feel too. Half Moon bay has nice beaches and a great art community and its just over the hill. Your money will go farther in these places, so you can live much nicer.
Thanks for saying that, it's always good to know information from the local folks.

An employer I talked to was pretty bummed I was demanding so high. Now, I have a feeling they are settling in for some other guy who's okay with a lower package. And I remember hearing from folks that surviving with 125K in Cali is a nightmare even.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 AM

21 posts, read 62,343 times
Default Cali lifestyle

My husband and I have a combined income of 60k, yes you read that right. But we live in the 'True North' an hour from the Oregon Border. We are fully capable of having our cake and eat it too, up here. The loss is in cultural things like art and entertainment. A nice house can be bought for under 200k and the crime rate is obsolete comparatively. The ups side is NO TRAFFIC and no smog. but the wages really suck here. I am lucky to work for the county and my hubby works for Harley Davidson. Cheers

Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Thanks for saying that, it's always good to know information from the local folks.

An employer I talked to was pretty bummed I was demanding so high. Now, I have a feeling they are settling in for some other guy who's okay with a lower package. And I remember hearing from folks that surviving with 125K in Cali is a nightmare even.
You might want to reset your expectations. Don't know how much experience you have but that's a pretty steep salary for any company to be paying right now unless you're bringing significant added value to their bottom line.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 01-13-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
With the economy going up again, I'm looking at getting new jobs in the coming months.

And as I negotiate my compensation, I would like to know if 150K is good yearly income to survive in Cali, I mean, anywhere in Cali, even in SF, which is one of the places I might most probably end up in.

I'm presently unmarried and I would just be having expenses around apartment, groceries, other stuff.

Thanks for the input.
Only if you become roommates with me, AC!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone_girl View Post
My husband and I have a combined income of 60k, yes you read that right. But we live in the 'True North' an hour from the Oregon Border. We are fully capable of having our cake and eat it too, up here. The loss is in cultural things like art and entertainment. A nice house can be bought for under 200k and the crime rate is obsolete comparatively. The ups side is NO TRAFFIC and no smog. but the wages really suck here. I am lucky to work for the county and my hubby works for Harley Davidson. Cheers
Suppose I end up in SF, how far can I stay away from the city without taking long insane drives?? I've been to SF before but I never saw myself living there, coz my trips lasted 2 or 3 days and my company paid for all of it.

But most of the interview calls I get out of Cali come off SF, San Diego and San Jose.

Besides, I'm also taking care of my mom who happens to visit me once in a while. Her medical bills and the like. And I'm looking to get married soon as well. In case my woman agrees to move to CA, I will be supporting her too till she gets her stuff together, so there's a lot of parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You might want to reset your expectations. Don't know how much experience you have but that's a pretty steep salary for any company to be paying right now unless you're bringing significant added value to their bottom line.
I guess the companies are taking advantage of the poor economy, rather. It's become their excuse to slash the rates they want to pay.

I work in portfolio management and made like 175K in the east coast. Then the economy went south and they sent my job first to India and then to Brazil So, I've pretty much taken the fall over the last 15 months and am looking to stamp my feet on the ground, again. My peers who do the same get billed like 150$ per hour and their paycheques cross 200 easily, but they are in their forties and have 20+ years of hardcore experience, which I lack for now.

Also, I won't be permanently employed with my client. They just buy guys like me for 18 to 24 month assignments, and we generally resist going permanent because the salary gets way too low when we enter their payroll.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Only if you become roommates with me, AC!!!
Ah, TT, you know I'll become your roommate in a heartbeat, unless your husband does not bust a cap up my bum LOL

I'll at least come check out your ballroom adventures

Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
I work in portfolio management and made like 175K in the east coast. Then the economy went south and they sent my job first to India and then to Brazil So, I've pretty much taken the fall over the last 15 months and am looking to stamp my feet on the ground, again. My peers who do the same get billed like 150$ per hour and their paycheques cross 200 easily, but they are in their forties and have 20+ years of hardcore experience, which I lack for now.
You're definitely in for an eye-opener. Make sure you have a job in hand before moving.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You're definitely in for an eye-opener. Make sure you have a job in hand before moving.
Well, I'm not moving unless I have all the legal papers written in stone. That's how it's always been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California