Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Anyone not from Oakland!
Yeah, but I'd still prefer a California native that actually cares enough about my state to take the time to vote (and not make up lame excuses). Perhaps she didn't give a sh** back then 'cause she was doing really well for herself and didn't concern herself with the "everyday man". I'm not too keen on people that believe they can just "buy" the position..or view it as a hobby or lift to their ego, imo.

The problem with Whitman is that she doesn't seem to really understand squat. Saying "we must fix this and that" is just talk. EBay was successful the same way that youtube is successful...the timing was right- everyone jumped on the bandwagon because it was new and different and exciting. Not convincing enough for me. It could have been Joe Blow running the exact same company successfully. I don't believe that she really played a major roll in anything about it--she just rode the wave at the right time.

I feel at this stage, California does need someone that understands the whole political process and all the b.s. that goes along with it...yes, a "career politician" that is "in the know".

I don't truly believe that Jerry Brown or anyone can solve all of the state's problems, but I'd rather have someone with years of experience over someone that just wants to buy their way into it because they've got nothing else going on. Plus, I just find Jerry Brown a whole heck of a lot more likable and genuine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 PM

18 posts, read 33,623 times
"I'll never get the death penalty obsession.

As someone looking at a move to California in a year or two, whether or not the state has capital punishment doesn't even come close to breaking into my Top 100 Issues list."

You don't get the "death penalty obsession" because you have never spoken to a family destroyed by the death of a parent, child, or brother. You "don't get it" because you have never seen photographs of murder victims. You have never read the facts, as contained in the official court reports (they are on the internet, btw) of these depraved crimes. Read, if you dare, about the "night stalker". Read the actual description of his crimes. Or the Hillside Strangler. Or Randy Kraft.
I have actually tried some similar cases, and believe me, you wouldn't be so cavalier about the death penalty if you had to speak to the victims families on a regular basis, as I have.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
The last time Jerry Brown was governor of California, the state had one of its largest surpluses in its history. Now it has one of its largest deficits. I think it's time, again, for an experienced hand on the tiller, instead of a hand in the till.

I hope Jerry wins.
After Edmond Brown, Jerry's dad, left office the state was in financial trouble. Ronald Reagan became govonor and during his time he was able to cut costs and yes he did raise taxes to get us out of the mess that Edmond had left us in. By the time Reagan left in 1974 the state had that large surplus that you are speaking about.

Jerry Brown didn't create the surplus, Ronald Reagan did. What Jerry Brown did was spend the surplus. He knows how to spend other peoples money. Before you elect him to run the State make sure your history includes what happened to get that surplus and see what happened during and after Browns time in office.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadrvr View Post

As someone looking at a move to California in a year or two, whether or not the state has capital punishment doesn't even come close to breaking into my Top 100 Issues list."

You don't get the "death penalty obsession" because you have never spoken to a family destroyed by the death of a parent, child, or brother.
You're a fool.

You're a fool because you're utterly ignorant of what you're talking about. You have no idea what my experiences are. Not at all. And you're so ridicoulously naive that you think experience A automatically leads a person to opinion B. How anyone can spend any amount of time in this world and come to the narcissistic conclusion that "I've only you'd had my experiences, you'd think just like I do!" is mind-boggling.

By your foolish logic, anyone who has been the victim of a handgun crime is pro gun control, anyone who has lost someone to a drunk driver wants a return of prohibition, and anyone who has lost someone in a war is a pacifist. This is what makes your 'logic' so foolish.

You're also a fool because you missed the glaringly obvious - I'm not anti death penalty. And you missed it because you didn't bother to comprehend what I wrote.

Try reading that again. It doesn't say that I'll never get get the obsession with support for the death penalty, does it? That was intentional, as I wrote it regarding the fixation on both sides of the issue. Aside from your obsession with having capital punishment, I also don't get the virulent opposition. I don't get why anyone could bother with a candlelight vigil or Tookie, or expend a single calorie of energy trying to save Mumia Abu-Jamal from being executed. But clearly, that all went "whoosh!", right over your head.

Now, try reading that again, too. I do not care either way. Just like I wrote. Get it? I do not care that California has capital punishment. Not at all. It does not bother me.

Quote:
You "don't get it" because you have never seen photographs of murder victims.
Yes, I have. (and in this internet age, who hasn't?)

Further, let me tell you a story about a friend. She works for the Minneapolis Police Department, and for the last decade her job has included the visual documentation of crimes scenes - stills and videos. She's seen it all. And she's passionately opposed to capital punishment. The job didn't make he so; she was long before she came to it.

Quote:
You have never read the facts, as contained in the official court reports (they are on the internet, btw) of these depraved crimes.
Again, you're a fool - you're a fool for ignorantly jumping to such a conclusion. Before entering the IT field, I worked for four years as an proof-reader for Thompson West (West Publishing back then) the largest legal publisher in the United States. Among the various documents I spent my days perusing were accounts of crime scenes. Some documentation, some decisions in appelate cases where specifics pertaining to the appeal included physical evidence or the physical nature of the crime. Many in almost lurid detail.

Quote:
Read, if you dare, about the "night stalker". Read the actual description of his crimes. Or the Hillside Strangler. Or Randy Kraft.
Yes, I have. I know you can't comprehend anyone possessing the information you do and yet not having your fixation, but that's how it is.

The world just doesn't match your trite expectations.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
That would be one way to save money in the prison system wouldn't it? I bet if we changed the laws to include the death penalty for more things and sped up the process we could clear out our jails and save lots of money on housing prisoners.

Another answer is send all the prisoners to war and let them either fight for us, or die trying.

Just a thought from my limited view in the cheap seats.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That would be one way to save money in the prison system wouldn't it? I bet if we changed the laws to include the death penalty for more things and sped up the process we could clear out our jails and save lots of money on housing prisoners.

Another answer is send all the prisoners to war and let them either fight for us, or die trying.

What do you have against our military?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:24 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

It's probably an inescapable reality that capital punishment will always be more costly than life imprisonment. On the other hand, capital punishment does offer certain hidden compensating savings, such as by being a bargaining chip to extract a guilty plea, thus saving the cost of a trial.

And the military would never accept such soldiers. Even if forced to take them, they would never let them near a functioning unit in the field, either in training or deployed to a combat theater.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Brown is certainly not too old to be governor. Haven't you heard, 70 is the new 50?

And consider that the POTUS so beloved by Republicans, Ronald Reagan, entered office in 1981 at the age of 70 and left office in 1989 at the age of 78.

Me, I'd want a fit statesman like Brown at the helm rather than an inexperienced, never-run-a-state newbie like Whitman.

Arnie didn't exactly do a bang-up job as an actor turned newbie governor, did he?

And frankly, the Gov. Moonbeam moniker needs to be retired. When I look at how I looked in the early 1970's, it makes me laugh...I certainly was a child of the times as so many of us were.

And he was called Moonbeam because of his prophetic proposal to have communications satellites for California--which turned out to so common now. Moonbeam? Not at all--Visionary. Unfortunately, visionaries are often ridiculed for looking into the future before the rest of us. It's our fault, not theirs.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:56 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
McClintock sounds the smartest of the bunch, but not a chance in the world he'd ever win (not that he'd ever run again). Too bad because this state needs a fiscal conservative more than ever.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I've always liked Moonbeam. Perhaps that is because of my age and the fact that I have never lived in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California