Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:46 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times

Advertisements

Not to scare anyone one, but what the heck, might as well. During the Mission days an earthquake released a landslide off one of the Channel Islands, it kicked up a Tsunami that dumped a fishing boat near the steps of the Santa Barbara Mission.

That fault is supposed to release again, anytime, (geologic time) that would kick up a Tsunami that would take out, Ventura, Oxnard, Malibu, Santa Monica and all the beach towns to San Diego.

It is predicted that there will be almost no time to evacuate and casualties should run around 300,000 killed, sleep well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Not to scare anyone one, but what the heck, might as well. During the Mission days an earthquake released a landslide off one of the Channel Islands, it kicked up a Tsunami that dumped a fishing boat near the steps of the Santa Barbara Mission.
The Santa Barbara Mission is over two miles inland and over 300' above sea level. So this claim is rather impressive. What earthquake was this? The 1812 earthquake was the most destructive to Santa Barbara during the Mission era, and while it is associated with some mention of sea waves, I cannot find any suggestion of such a colossal event as to toss a boat inland that far and that high.

This is a report of an otter hunting ship being thrown half a mile up Refugio Canyon, though the elevation of the canyon at this point is approximately 45'. Is this perhaps what you're referring to? Anyway, even this report is highly dubious, for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
That fault is supposed to release again, anytime, (geologic time) that would kick up a Tsunami that would take out, Ventura, Oxnard, Malibu, Santa Monica and all the beach towns to San Diego.

It is predicted that there will be almost no time to evacuate and casualties should run around 300,000 killed, sleep well.
Huh. Well, you're right. Someone has predicted that. You, for example. But not the U.S. Geological Survey and Moss Landing Marine Laboratory.
http://137.227.239.66/reports/reprints/Fisher_MG_224.pdf

Per the report cited above, a quake similar to the 1812 earthquake can be expected to produce landslide that results in a small tsunami, as in 1812, which would mean a runup to about 2m (6.5 feet). Also, the area of shoreline affected would be very narrow - about 10 km (6 miles).

Of course, there is always the possiblity of a massive submarine landslide that can produce a much larger tsunami. And they can occur, as you say, anytime (on a geologic time scale). But since geologic time is measured in millions of years, and since the entire California coast is subject to these landslides (not just the Channel Islands region), issues of when and where are largely irrelevant to this discussion.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
I know both are hotbeds for earthquake activity and either one could be hit with a devastating earthquake at any time. I am not asking which one will get hit first, but which one is more prone to it happening and which one is more prepared for when it happens.

So which are is more proned to earthquakes? LA of SF Bay Area?
Well, I would think part of this question lies in which is more likely to get hit by a devastating earthquake first (let's define a "devastating" earthquakes as 7.5M+). And the consensus is that the southern San Andreas fault is more "due" for a large quake than the northern portion. That doesn't mean one can hit SF before LA, but the latter seems a much more likely target for the next "Big One".

Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Both cities are the most prone to a catastrophic EQ.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
I agree that they both have their advantages and disavantages, so neither is better or worse or more dangerous. Fortunately both cities are relatively well prepared.

I think communities like San Bernardino, Palm Springs, Palmdale are at the greates risk because of their extreme proximity to a stretch of the San Andreas that is supposedly overdue for a major quake.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think communities like San Bernardino, Palm Springs, Palmdale are at the greates risk because of their extreme proximity to a stretch of the San Andreas that is supposedly overdue for a major quake.

Risk is the product of probability and impact. Even if it was 10 times more likely that an earthquake would hit Palmdale, it would be less risky than one hitting LA because the impact would be so small in comparison to one hitting LA.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
I know both are hotbeds for earthquake activity and either one could be hit with a devastating earthquake at any time. I am not asking which one will get hit first, but which one is more prone to it happening and which one is more prepared for when it happens.

So which are is more proned to earthquakes? LA of SF Bay Area?
I would think it would go either way. When the '89 earthquake occurred in the bay area, it was so catastrophic that a section of a bridge collapsed. A huge factor is the building design that can withstand earthquakes. Look at Haiti -- third world country with much older building and nearly non-existant building codes to withstand earthquakes.

Most newer buildings in my county require that new construction meets the requirement of earthquake resistant code, something to that effect.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:26 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
I noticed someone mentioned the Newport-Englewood Fault as a source. Believe it or not that would also put San Diego at risk.

Not that it has anything to do with the question. I'm just saying that all the big cities in Ca. are vulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California