Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:18 PM

138 posts, read 979,113 times

Advertisements

Could someone build a house in California, cheaper than it would be to buy ?

If someone can build a nice house in other parts of the country for $200K, why couldn't someone build a house for around the same price, in California ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 04:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
What do you expect to pay for the land?

Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 PM

138 posts, read 979,113 times
I'm not sure how much land costs, in that part of the country.

The original question, is just a hypothetical. Would it be cheaper to build.

Can someone buy a track of land for $40k to 60K? How much will an empty lot, next to someone's house go for ? When someone's house burns down, maybe they don't always rebuild. Maybe they take the money & leave town. The house gets torn down....thus available lot.

What if someone figured out a way to purchase an empty LOT, at a bargain price ? Maybe it would be cheaper to build.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post

Can someone buy a track of land for $40k to 60K? How much will an empty lot, next to someone's house go for ? When someone's house burns down, maybe they don't always rebuild. Maybe they take the money & leave town. The house gets torn down....thus available lot.

What if someone figured out a way to purchase an empty LOT, at a bargain price ? Maybe it would be cheaper to build.
I have no idea what it really costs to build a house but being California, I'm sure there's lots of expensive red tape to get through so its probably pretty expensive. Here's a couple of things to put the numbers in perspective:

I have a 2 bedroom house that cost over $550k. Is my house worth $550k? Hardly. Its the land that has value. My homeowner's policy covers the house itself for $250k, so I assume that's maximum expected cost to replace the house. That doesn't cover the contents of course and probably doesn't cover the foundation or buried utilities which are unlikely to be damaged even in a complete burn down.

My last tax bill assessed my house at $564k. They allocate that as $476k for the land and $87k for the house.

I'm not sure where in California you'd actually find a piece of dirt for $40-60k, but I'll guarantee you it'll be small, unimproved, in the middle of nowhere, and possibly unbuildable.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,563 times
Quote:

There is land in CA. But I don't know where you would find land that cheap.
And construction costs are pretty high here. I can't imagine it would be less expensive to build.
MBG

Old 06-12-2007, 08:45 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,400,459 times
In Modoc County you could get several acres for 40k to 60k, but that's not the 'California' you're probably thinking of.

In one of the coastal counties a 5000 square foot improved and permitted lot probably comes in at a minimum of 200k. But that's just a guess.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,154 times
If you do all the work yourself... sure, it'll be cheaper. We happen to live in an area where land is abundant and $60k can get you a pretty nice chunk of land (No, we're no longer reside in LA County, thank goodness! But we're still in So. California). But if you're looking to buy the land and then pay a bunch of different people to build you a house... I'd say, it's gonna be even, if not the same as buying already built.

Then again, with housing sales/ building kinda leveling out, contractors might not be asking the same riduculous prices they once where when they were in "high demand".

Old 06-12-2007, 09:48 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Mostly when you are looking at land you are either looking at raw acreage or lots in a to-be subdivision. You can get large unimproved acreage in parts of rural norcal for well under 100k and unimproved small lots for under 50k. However without water, sewer, electric and phone you are looking at a fairly nebulous idea of what that land will cost to be inhabitable. Land with services is worth a lot more.

Northern California Land - Siskiyou County Properties (http://www.remaxheritageproperties-yrk-ca.com/land.html - broken link)
Siskiyou Real Estate - Northern California Land for Sale

Quote:

Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,154 times
Don't need to go clear into No.Cal to find cheap lots for great prices. The Southern most tip of Kern County is overflowing with them. Water and eletrical already on site. If you don't mind a 1.5 hour commute into LA....

Old 06-12-2007, 11:40 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
Even cheap land will be expensive, you can sub contrct a house and it will be cheaper but if $200,000 is your goal I doubt it unless you were going to build it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California