Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM

607 posts, read 958,050 times

Advertisements

We upgraded last year from a Palomino pop-up to a R-Vision hybrid TT - love the new camper and took on a two-week swing from NJ to MD, VA, TN, KY OH, PA and back.

One thing I have alwys been interested in is hearing/seeing some of the unique personal touches people add to their campers - storage ideas, adding shelves/lights, bathroom/shower modifications, etc. I always enjoyed reading about them in the back of some of the camping magazines I've seen, and thought I ask the question here....

Are there any modifications you have seen that you found very interesting or useful, or have any of you added those personal touches to your own rigs to make life just that much easier?

I'm looking to put in some wire shelving above the window on my TT, and maybe do something to the shower so I am not swallowed up by the &%$# curtain (the previous owner rigged a thin PVC pipe that would pop in and out of caps and arch around you at about waist height to keep the curtain pushed out, but I got frustrated with it by the second shower).

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
In our Coachmen 5er, we removed the dinette set and the partition between the dinette and sofa and installed a "desk" the length of the dinette area--approximately 7 feet or half the slide-out. We felt this was more conducive to our needs and computer set up.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Not me, but I have a friend who has totally revamped her fiver. She had a carpet like covering on her ceiling, took it out and put in a textured painted ceiling. Re-did every last bit of wood work, wall papered, changed from carpet to hard wood flooring. Instead of walking into an RV, you now think your walking into a rustic log cabin. It is truly awesome all she's done.

We re-did our closet. Instead of nothing but a rod, we added shelving and other types of storage making it more like an organized master closet. And we added rope lighting right behind the slideout edge so that when we watch TV we can have a little ambient lighting. Movie lighting as we call it...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,998,978 times
We also moved from a pop up to an R vision Hybrid. Got the Bantam and LOVED it but there was no food storage. Hung some chains from the ceiling at either end of the couch and dining table then suspended a two by four shelf the full length... hope you can picture it. It gave awesome storage once you were set up. We were out camping one day long after we traded it in and spotted it in a camp ground and spoke to the guy. He loved the shelf's and still used them. We have traded several times since then and have added shelving in each of the campers. Just makes it more comfortable.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I configure vehicles based on each trip and who is going.

For the RV, I can remove the spare seating and add storage, or a custom built sewing center. I have some 'stackables' that keep various supplies for different types of ventures, these have pull out drawers and can be stashed in closets at home or RV, or placed in van or station wagon if that is the vehicle of choice for trip.

I am designing a series of camping containers / utility devices. They will be modular for different modes of travel (including mass transit). I even have a trailer for my bicycle touring, and the modulars will easily fit in there.

I have so many interests and variety of projects that I travel for, I would REALLY like a 'hook-lift' semi, with double trailers, and I could just tote whatever stuff I need with me, including an RV pod. My home base will be an indoor storage building (bigger than a barn) that would house all my 'pods'. (20' containers). I'm glad I can pull 'triples' in many western states, that makes it ez'r to move stuff around.

But, next venture.... is continued work on my 50 mpg RV. (Passat station wagon w/ modified snowbear utility trailer / RV / teardrop camper. Hot water heater running off engine heat, small genset, modular kitchen ...

I still like the 'Stow and Row' //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lorboat-my.jpg

Old 03-17-2017, 02:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,028 times
Red face Omg how

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
In our Coachmen 5er, we removed the dinette set and the partition between the dinette and sofa and installed a "desk" the length of the dinette area--approximately 7 feet or half the slide-out. We felt this was more conducive to our needs and computer set up.
How did u take it out I have a framed glass one, floor to ceiling of slide I want to remove ..I thought it might be load bearing ,but I guess its not ,,how should I do this please Avion 34.5 ft 1993
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing