Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:02 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times

Advertisements

I know it probably varies from state to state, almost as much as opinions will. Can anyone give me clear guidance on what some of our laws actually say with regards to wearing a seatbelt while you're traveling in a self-contained motorhome? And I'm not talking about up front in the driver or passenger seat, but back in the camper itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
All passengers must be belted, up to and including all available belts. AFAIK you will not be ticketed if you have more passengers than belts

For example... My Class C has 8 belted positions available. If I had 9 total passengers I could haul 8 in belts and one w/o. If I had 8 total passengers (including driver) and one was unbelted, I would be ticketed.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 AM

In what State?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I don't care what the law is. My vehicle doesn't move until everyone is safely buckled in.

I've worked traffic accidents and seen too many identical type accidents where the belted person walked away with no worse than a broken arm and the unbelted person died.

My family wears their seat belts.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't care what the law is.
I do. You realize we're talking about motorhomes, right?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I do. You realize we're talking about motorhomes, right?
You realize that people die in motor home crashes, right?

No vehicle of mine moves until everyone is securely buckled in.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 PM

People die in bus crashes too. Do you wear seatbelts on buses? Why not?

I'm not saying its not a good idea to be belted in when you're just stitting there. And of course you have to have a belt by law in the driver seat ot the front passenger seat, just like a car. And there's certainly nothing wrong with your own practices eitber. But I'm trying to figure out what actual laws say about it in various states. Are they treated like buses (which many of them essentially are) or more like cars. Dogmatic opinions are not particularly helpful since I know it will bother some people no matter what. But if that's all you have to offer, then thanks anyways.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I'm not saying its not a good idea to be belted in when you're just stitting there.
And of course you have to have a belt by law in the driver seat
and the front passenger seat (and every other "seat" in the rig) just like a car...
...because of the FEDERAL rules on the matter.

Quote:
But I'm trying to figure out what actual laws say about (using them) in various states.
It varies.

I haven't looked for a compilation but I'm surprised one hasn't shown up here before now.
google: http://www.rvhelpdesk.com/seatbelt-laws.html

Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...because of the FEDERAL rules on the matter. I haven't looked for a compilation but I'm surprised one hasn't shown up here before now.
google: Seatbelt Laws
That was really helpful thanks. Also, it looks like my homes state of CO considers it a 2nd-ary offense unless it's an unrestrained child in which case it's a primary offense and carries a higher fine.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM

30 posts, read 47,409 times
I'm not sure why anyone would care at all what the law of any particular state says?. .. .work as an emt or firefighter on an accident scene and you wouldn't tell me that you wouldn't demand everyone in any vehicle your going to be in charge of has to wear their seatbelt. .. ..the vehicle doesn't move until everyone is buckled in!. .. .sorry if that's inconvenient or uncomfortable .. .you are not magically held in place just because your in a motorhome when that accident happens and the laws of physics begin to interact with your body. . .anyone who wants to argue against everyone in ANY vehicle having to wear seatbelts is just flat stupid. ...and what are you saying about those who ride in the seats other than the driver/passenger fronts??. . .you don't care about their safety?? ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing