Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 AM

22 posts, read 21,180 times

Advertisements

Hey, so I'm going camping for a week, and usually in the past we just did hot dogs & whatnot (since it used to be a weekend affair, not a 7 day ordeal). What type of cookware should i look into for the trip? I'm going to be strictly cooking over a fire, not a camp stove.
SO Last summer, I bought a cheapy cookware set, simply because I was in a rush and on a very small budget...well I totaled that set. I'm looking online now at different sets and am looking for some guidance. I'm looking at a Stainless steel, enamel, and anodized. all three of these sets cost the same, there are plates and such in the enamel, but I have a set of dishes, so that's REALLY not a deciding factor. Which way would you go?
Is there any good web resource on cookware? Has anyone ever used a stone frying pan before? I know this is a relatively new technology in the kitchen. I tried researching on them and came out dry. The only decent resource I can find is on http://www.stonefryingpans.com. Anybody have any health tips, brand recommendations, or other information? Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-11-2016 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Edited thread title for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Cast iron pots and skillets. I use to make breakfast on the grill outside here with them. You can still find them relatively inexpensively in the regular cookware at Walmart.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
I agree with Thursday007. Cast iron skillets and pots work great over a campfire. I've used them in the past, and some friends of mine who still camp frequently use them. They stand up to anything, they heat evenly, and if they're well-seasoned they are essentially non-stick.

Mmmmmm, I can almost smell the frying bacon and eggs now.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:57 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,998,978 times
Hi Ben!

First, you don't say what kind if camping your going to do. If you have to carry your stuff very far then the cast iron might not be for you because of the weight. If so then maybe give the foil a try. Double of even tipple it, spray or use non stick foil. Can use to fry eggs! Use right over the fire for some dishes, off to the side for others. Foil packs are great too. Practice over a bbq grill.

I learned early that cooking over a fire was way more trouble than I wanted to go to so now I use a camping stove to control the heat and the type of pan doesn't really make a difference. If you do want to do the open fire and weight in is not an issue, then enjoy your cast iron! Just make sure you learn how to season it and clean it and it will be your best friend.

Check back in and let us know how it went. Pictures are always great.

Bottom line.... just GO CAMPING!!!!

Last edited by Camper1; 04-11-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
If you rub soap on the outside of your pots, it will be easier to clean the soot off after cooking.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:09 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Cast iron and heavy tinfoil are the best for camping.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I take it this is "car camping" and not backpacking/back country camping. If the later, I can recommend some equipment.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I'd not spend too much on the cookware if its only purpose is a one time camping trip.
You basically need a frying pan for cooking pancakes and bacon a pot for soups or beans and something to boil water, i find disposable plates and plastic knives and forks and coffee cups are easily cleaned as you just throw em in the fire when you are finished with them.
For $30 You can buy a Coleman cooking set at Walmart that will serve your needs for a week.=
Coleman Family Cook Set - Walmart.com

PS. As you are cooking on an open fire i'd suggest avoiding anything with plastic or Bakelite handles.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
While I have a lot of high quality cast iron cookware pots/pans/dutch ovens/scotch bowls/griddles ... ranging in size from cooking for one person to feeding several dozen ...

what I've found works really well for car camping is to use a reasonable size cast iron griddle (or two) over a campfire.

You get the benefits of the even heat control of a "plancha grill" for those food items that a griddle cooks well ... be it breakfast items, or heating up sandwiches on the grill, etc.

But it's real benefit is that you can use regular cookware on it without having that cookware directly over the fire getting local hot spots or all sooted up. With this set-up, I use stainless steel pots and pans. Easy to clean up and a pleasure to cook in even in thin bottom cheap cookware. Personally, I avoid aluminum cookware even at home ... and have discarded all of my older "camping" aluminum sets years ago in favor of the lightweight stainless cookware.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:25 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
If you are cooking over an actual fire, then buy either cast iron, which is the best choice, or that blue enamel granite ware.

I only use the granite ware for the coffee pot (percolator).

If you are not camping at a place that has grills for the fire ring, I recommend a sturdy grill/grate to keep the pots level and up off the fire.

If I am heating canned food, I just open the top and set the can near the edge of the fire and heat in the can. I use a pair of barbecue tongs to turn the can and to remove it from the fire.

I've got a camp stove that I rarely use, but the little table top propane grill gets a good workout. My family likes grilled steak or grilled chicken when camping, and the portable grill is easy to use and works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing